• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

No idea if he actually got any money (probably very little, if any), but it would not suck to spend a year+ in Malibu. Prettiest campus I've ever seen.

1616712327605d128785df2.jpg

VCU's Toibu Lawal in portal. 7.7 ppg and 6 rpb in just 18.9 minutes per game. From the United Kingdom.

Was disappointed to see Harvard's Malik Mack (point guard) commit to Georgetown.

Would love to see Forbes go after Vanderbilt's Tyrin Lawrence. Think he could have an Alondes-like final season at WFU. Averaged 13 ppg and a great defender. Not a great 3-point shooter, but can get to the basket.

No idea if he actually got any money (probably very little, if any), but it would not suck to spend a year+ in Malibu. Prettiest campus I've ever seen.

1616712327605d128785df2.jpg
Absolutely beautiful campus, but ridiculously strict rules governing student life (given that we're in 2024). Of course, the hoops players are probably living off-campus with an ocean view.

now that we have betting on how many points rebounds and assists college players make during a game, wonder how many will be getting paid off to underperform. Just putting that out there as well. the times they are a changing.

now that we have betting on how many points rebounds and assists college players make during a game, wonder how many will be getting paid off to underperform. Just putting that out there as well. the times they are a changing.
If this isn't banned in college basketball in all jurisdictions, this will be a major problem next season.

Wasn’t there an NBA guy just caught for shaving points or rebounds?

Think there will be a lot of bans on single player prop bets by next season

I don’t see that happening in the ACC. I feel very confident that wake fans will be able to identify teams and players that, while on paper seem well above average and capable of some modicum of success, go on to consistently underperform and create questions around the reason for their failure(s).

I don’t see that happening in the ACC. I feel very confident that wake fans will be able to identify teams and players that, while on paper seem well above average and capable of some modicum of success, go on to consistently underperform and create questions around the reason for their failure(s).
Every loser bench player on every opposing team who has played Wake Forest in basketball history who has set career highs in points, assists and rebounds in literally every game we’ve ever played suggests no gambling issues here.

I don’t think that you can discount Forbes’ role in having them be first team ACC/player of the year. We didn’t “buy“any of these players as all conference types. Recognizing the talent, establishing the relationship to get them to transfer here, and giving them space and confidence to be the player that they could be has to at least be some credit to Forbes.

There may be better in game or developmental coaches out there, but in today’s landscape does development really matter all that much? And would the price tag to bring in the same quality player be higher because their system/relationships are different?
Forbes is turning them in to all conference players by unleashing their offensive skills by giving them free rein. But the problem isn’t there as far as us winning enough games. We just don’t play good enough defense. That is how you win titles. We can’t stay focused for an entire 40 minutes in that end of the floor.

Yes. All signs point to increasing NIL resources from all schools.

When a school gets bad news like Carr going in the portal, there is an inevitable flood of posts about how the world of college sports has come to end. Then, within the next few weeks, WF will have a set of commits from interesting portal prospects, minutes projections will bloom, deep dives into the new additions will make us giddy, and by this Summer, we will all be back on the bandwagon, and maybe our hearts aren't broken this time. I am excited to see what the staff can do with more money available and lots of slots to fill. I liked Andrew Carr, but jesus, he's not a program changing player.
Ehhh. This model was already on thin ice. Eventually that ice was going to crack.

Hurley is obviously killing it now, but he was 113-82 at Rhode Island. He also thought he was going to be fired after his fourth year at UConn with another failure in the first round of the dance. I guess sometimes patience pays off.

Hurley is obviously killing it now, but he was 113-82 at Rhode Island. He also thought he was going to be fired after his fourth year at UConn with another failure in the first round of the dance. I guess sometimes patience pays off.
Too much patience with Bz-man and Manning thanks to Well-Man

I blame our fanbase for our recruiting woes. We need to stop bitching about our coaches recruiting and start doing our own recruiting. By that I mean recruiting billionaires to become Wake Forest Fans. How could we do this? I think we need to explain how WF Men's b-ball is against billionaire tax increases and is very friendly to businesses. We need to convince them that we appear to be green and inclusive but in reality don't care so much about those things. We are very against any government oversight in particular with anything Tech related. Can someone please rent out the billboards in town and we can start the cruitin' today. We only need one good billionaire who likes basketball and our NIL coffers will overfloweth. We won't have to worry about ridiculous demanding quotes. Sign them all up.

I blame our fanbase for our recruiting woes. We need to stop bitching about our coaches recruiting and start doing our own recruiting. By that I mean recruiting billionaires to become Wake Forest Fans. How could we do this? I think we need to explain how WF Men's b-ball is against billionaire tax increases and is very friendly to businesses. We need to convince them that we appear to be green and inclusive but in reality don't care so much about those things. We are very against any government oversight in particular with anything Tech related. Can someone please rent out the billboards in town and we can start the cruitin' today. We only need one good billionaire who likes basketball and our NIL coffers will overfloweth. We won't have to worry about ridiculous demanding quotes. Sign them all up.
Maybe Taylor Swift and Forbes can share her private jet on his recruiting trips?

We have at least one billionaire on our Board of Trustees, right?

I mean it's hard to know, but at least one of those folks, not named Shah, has a whole lot of money. Whole lot.

That's the thing.

If a group of the real money guys at Stanford or any Ivy League school wanted to get into this game, they could literally bury every other school in the country. There is NIL money, and then there is the money that the ultra rich use to endow the colleges of their choice, and the money that SEC and Big 10 schools are throwing around is pocket change to them. Realize that those elite schools generally don't want to wade deeply into the NIL cess-pool, but if they wanted to make a statement, the NIL money battles would be over fast. Just waiting for a Steve Cohen type from Stanford to decide that he wants the top 5 basketball players in the nation to go to Stanford. That's the point when the current schools that think they are dominating NIL would agree to change the system.

Havard has a $50 billion endowment. Yale $41 billion. Stanford $36 billion. The closest power V schools are barely within $20 billion of those schools.

Back