• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Seems like it will be a struggle to make the tournament again
If we don't get a Sallis replacement then I agree. I'm of the belief we will be deeper, better defensively and more athletic than last year. Figuring out the top -end talent is as simple(replacing a 1st team All ACC guy isn't simple) as finding a fringe NBA guy to take the Sallis spot. Or, perhaps we catch a break for once and he does indeed come back.

But I can't look at this roster and think we aren't a tourney team. I think we are building a roster built for MARCH BABY

I just can't see us pulling guys like Billew, Spillers, Cosby and Abass if he isn't planning on playing 9 or 10 guys this year. You can't sit Cam or Efron. You can't let Parker's minutes go down. You most likely gotta get Juke on the court. I can't wrap my mind around any scenario where we don't have a deep rotation next year. I'm thinking 3 or 3 guys that play 28-30 min and 4 or 5 guys that play 12- 15 minutes

Baba going to a FAU seems odd. does he think he can't hack it in a big conference? i get the money thing, but i can't imagine they are paying much more than we will.

b18004e9-444c-47a6-85c9-7eccbed1f63d_text.gif

As it currently stands, we’ve lost a crapload of shooting. Sallis, Boopie, and Carr all shot well from 3 on relatively high volume.
This is the one concern I have with the lineup. If Cam returns to early season (and late season) form post-surgery, PF pulls out of the late-season funk, Cosby is even somewhat monsanto-esque and KJ can shoot at a decent clip, I think we'll be fine (Juke can shoot as well), but that's a lot of ifs.

Baba going to a FAU seems odd. does he think he can't hack it in a big conference? i get the money thing, but i can't imagine they are paying much more than we will.
I mean it could be for a lot of different reasons, money is only one of them.

My guess is that FAU gave him the strongest guarantee of a lot of minutes at SF, and very few at C, which is clearly something he wants.

My prediction is that Sallis turns pro, Baba goes to FAU, we get KJ and a project guard that may push for minutes.

That leaves us with 1 more spot - which we use to bring back Canka!!!!

I don't think we suck, but I think we'll have some work to do to make the NCAAT (again)

I'm pretty Confident we will have a high-end Sallis replacement that'll wat up 28-32 mpg. A fringe NBA guy like Sallis.
I'm gonna need you to be more specific about who you might mean by this. I get that there is still a lot of available talent in the portal, but 1st team All ACC/fringe 1st round NBA guys don't exactly grow on trees.

I assume you have some guys in mind?

I don't think we suck, but I think we'll have some work to do to make the NCAAT (again)
Outside of your top 20 programs, This is pretty much the case for everyone. I don't see us becoming a program that coasts to the tourney every year.

We have lost some shooting. I believe Forbes has made a significant upgrade in toughness / grit.

The proof is in the pudding but if that is the case, I'll take that tradeoff.

I'm gonna need you to be more specific about who you might mean by this. I get that there is still a lot of available talent in the portal, but 1st team All ACC/fringe 1st round NBA guys don't exactly grow on trees.

I'm gonna need you to stop asking the tough questions.

I just can't see us pulling guys like Billew, Spillers, Cosby and Abass if he isn't planning on playing 9 or 10 guys this year. You can't sit Cam or Efron. You can't let Parker's minutes go down. You most likely gotta get Juke on the court. I can't wrap my mind around any scenario where we don't have a deep rotation next year. I'm thinking 3 or 3 guys that play 28-30 min and 4 or 5 guys that play 12- 15 minutes
Makes sense. Core four plays 110-125 minutes. Four or 5 rotation guys play the rest.

Cam and Reid will be part of the core four.

Outside of your top 20 programs, This is pretty much the case for everyone. I don't see us becoming a program that coasts to the tourney every year.
I would argue the number is a lot smaller than 20 programs that can reasonably set their expectations to making the NCAAT every year.

I would argue the number is a lot smaller than 20 programs that can reasonably set their expectations to making the NCAAT every year.
Sure. Don't disagree with that... Just kind of threw that number out there.

Makes sense. Core four plays 110-125 minutes. Four or 5 rotation guys play the rest.

Cam and Reid will be part of the core four.
Yep. So I guess we see 9 or 10 man rotation this year instead of 7. That's ideal if we can land at least 1 more top talent.

If Sallis goes pro, we'll have a giant bag of money and a starring role available. Somebody good will take it, whether they're uncommitted as they explore the draft or currently committed to another program.

Back