• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

The committee seeds teams 1-16 and brackets from there.

Clemson was the 8 seed, Stanford the 9 seed. Wake is the 1 so they're matched up in the quarterfinals with the 8/9.

Nope. I just hope our coaching staff will have devised a way to break them down. We struggled to do it against a very disciplined Columbia side.
We have to switch the ball in one or two passes instead of 3 or 4. I know we like to do the short passing game but doing a switch with 3 or 4 passes, even quickly, allows the defense to shift and stay tight and compact. A 1 or 2 ball switch should open up those small gaps we exploited vs Butler on Sunday, where one pass broke their lines and took 3 defenders out of the play at once.

I'd also like to see a deep cross diagonally across the pitch from our outside backs to the opposite side forward that lands somewhere between the corner of the 6 and corner of the 18. That ball can be so dangerous, even if it's a 50/50 that we lose because the headed clearance could fall to our 9 or 10 just outside the area. Or, even better, out wide forward wins the ball and has a 1v1 opportunity right inside the box against a recovering defender.

That's what I'd be emphasizing to the boys this week, at least.

Clemson was the 8 seed, Stanford the 9 seed. Wake is the 1 so they're matched up in the quarterfinals with the 8/9.

this is the first time in my life I've looked at soccer RPI, but NCAA probably relied on it for seeding purposes

Stanford was #11 in RPI but #3 in the Coaches Poll

they had only two losses all year, both bad losses (Tulsa and St. Louis both had losing records) but they rolled through the (relatively weak) Pac-12

Jaysus. I was referring more to the regional disbursement of teams, not how seeding works, but thanks! :tard:

Seems like Wake BB always gets put in UKy's bracket and now soccer is destined to play the Cardinal every year.

Stanford should be the one disappointed. They're defending champs and got placed with the clear #1 team in the nation.

My wife and I are headed to W-S for the game tomorrow. Anyone else coming?

On paper it looks like the same team. Lost only 1 starter, a defender, from last year and 2 subs (one a mid and one a forward with not much in the way of stats). Last year's team actually lost 3 games, but allegedly Pac 12 is weaker and last year SU played 10 ranked teams before us whereas this year they have only faced 5 ranked teams before our game. Return same goalie and leading scorer from last year and team is actually scoring more this year (2.15 goals/game vs. 1.65) and giving up slightly less as well (.45 vs. .61), but that is expected if schedule is weaker.

Looks to me like the same team and can expect the same strategy and a very confident bunch if they know they have the same crew unless they are dealing with some injuries. Question is can we break through this year. Going to either be a 1-0 game or OT as they look to go 3 for 3.

Should be a defensive battle. Wake has allowed one goal in eight games while Stanford has allowed three goals in 12 games.

Should be a defensive battle. Wake has allowed one goal in eight games while Stanford has allowed three goals in 12 games.

Pulling hard for the Deacs but this , in a nutshell, is why soccer will never be fully mainstream in the U.S. like FB/BB/BB.

Back