• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

It's Jimmy Webb's birthday today -- great songwriter, questions about an age-appropriate/legal relationship somewhere in there -- and Coach Forbes mentioned his love of "Wichita Lineman" a couple weeks ago on the twitter and I had to share this shreddy/poppy version with him, and Coach Forbes and fam need the vibes right now, so I'm sharing it again because the birthday reminded me and who can't use vibes even in the best of times.

Good call. And let me double down with this one. Talk about shreddy. Every time I see this - and that’s a lot - it makes me want to give up guitar. Glen Campbell was my hero and the reason I picked up a guitar as a child. Actually got to meet him in 2006 in St Andrews Scotland of all places. Just watch this solo

Good call. And let me double down with this one. Talk about shreddy. Every time I see this - and that’s a lot - it makes me want to give up guitar. Glen Campbell was my hero and the reason I picked up a guitar as a child. Actually got to meet him in 2006 in St Andrews Scotland of all places. Just watch this solo

Nice. And one from another amazing songwriter.

Yeah, I like him alright. I like that he exists more and is out there working more than I'm a huge fan, but I went to this awesome set of his a few years ago -- he opened for Joan Shelley then played bass for her and Nathan Salsburg along with Nathan Bowles on drums, who had joined him for his mostly solo opener. It was the best I'd heard Fussell and the Joan Shelley set was amazing -- felt like I'd been transported to Sandy Denny-era Fairport Convention for a few tunes. I'd probably try to hit some of that up depending on if anyone's playing with him.

His dad is kind of a folklore legend.

Yeah, I like him alright. I like that he exists more and is out there working more than I'm a huge fan, but I went to this awesome set of his a few years ago -- he opened for Joan Shelley then played bass for her and Nathan Salsburg along with Nathan Bowles on drums, who had joined him for his mostly solo opener. It was the best I'd heard Fussell and the Joan Shelley set was amazing -- felt like I'd been transported to Sandy Denny-era Fairport Convention for a few tunes. I'd probably try to hit some of that up depending on if anyone's playing with him.

His dad is kind of a folklore legend.

I imagine you mean his essence as a historical interlocutor for the scene and all?

Yeah, definitely some/a lot of that. I'm just glad anytime anyone who's a musician is making it work these days, however they're doing it, and he seems like a genuine person and is doing it in an interesting way. I don't think it's easy at all, and so I have so much respect for someone keeping at it, especially if it's a vibe of carrying on a/the tradition.

I guess the qualifier wasn't needed, like faint praise or something. I've seen him a few times, liked him every time, but I'm just not into it into it. But I'd always go see someone like this to support the journey and the scene.

Probably posted this before, but the Campbell "Gentle on my Mind" clip got me remembering it, and when I remember it I put it on repeat a bunch. John Hartford, before he got all into his steamboat captain character (which is still awesome and the Aereo-Plain band is one of the great ones assembled - Hartford, Vassar Clements, Tut Taylor, Randy Scruggs, and Norman Blake, holy shit). But this is a weird, kind of dreamy psychedelic vibe.

Nirvana Unplugged for me

I know this isn’t a novel thought, but when Kurt starts belting it on Where Did You Sleep Last Night >>>>>>>>>>>

Ridiculous vocal talent, you can tell in the video he’s barely flexing what’s there too

Nirvana Unplugged for me

I know this isn’t a novel thought, but when Kurt starts belting it on Where Did You Sleep Last Night >>>>>>>>>>>

Ridiculous vocal talent, you can tell in the video he’s barely flexing what’s there too
It’s so fucking haunting hearing him that on that song when you know he’ll be dead in a few months

Back