• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the biggest game Chris Paul has won?

So what you're saying is without Chris Paul on the floor, the Clippers may as well have been coached by [Redacted].

I had no idea he coached the worst offensive team in NBA history.

The Clippers are only 1 game better off with Doc Rivers as their coach then they were with Vinny Del Negro. So was Vinny that bad of a coach now? Or was Doc that good of a coach when he won the title with Pierce, Garnett & Ray Allen? Seems to me he made a lot of coaching errors in key stretches in both these playoff series. They bailed him out by winning against the Warriors but the Thunder made him pay.

Palma will be pleased to learn that TheReff is a VDN proponent.

Kevin Durant has the most equal combination of physical attributes and skill of anyone in the history of basketball. (Lebron needs to shoot better than 75% from the line)

Just because Chris Paul did not beat the Thunder does not mean they aren't great. There's only 4 teams to come out of the Western conference in the past 17 years and all 4 of those had an MVP on their team.

Last edited:
Palma will be pleased to learn that TheReff is a VDN proponent.

Didn't say I was a VDN proponent. Was just raising the point that Doc Rivers gets all this credit for being this great coach & I just didn't see it this year in the playoffs for the Clippers.

Didn't say I was a VDN proponent. Was just raising the point that Doc Rivers gets all this credit for being this great coach & I just didn't see it this year in the playoffs for the Clippers.

Most often coaches get judged not by what they do great (because it is hard to differentiate between great coaching and great skill) but by how they screw up. Doc didn't screw much up aside from perhaps too many minutes to Jamal Crawford.

Doc is the best play caller out of timeouts in the league, his player development with Blake and DeAndre was apparent, and his substitution patterns usually made a lot of sense all year. Perhaps you didn't see it because you don't know what you're looking for.

Can a coach be a great coach yet have a team so dependant on one player?

Last edited:
I kinda agree with TheReff here (shoot me). Doc Rivers is a good coach, but the media gives him extra points because he's one of them. Doc won just one more game than widely criticized Vinny Del Negro (mind you, they did have a lot more injury trouble IIRC).

Meanwhile, Rick Carlisle just won 49 games in the west with Dirk and a bunch of cast-offs and seems to get pretty much zero credit from anyone.

I kinda agree with TheReff here (shoot me). Doc Rivers is a good coach, but the media gives him extra points because he's one of them. Doc won just one more game than widely criticized Vinny Del Negro (mind you, they did have a lot more injury trouble IIRC).

Meanwhile, Rick Carlisle just won 49 games in the west with Dirk and a bunch of cast-offs and seems to get pretty much zero credit from anyone.

Doc getting credit and Carlisle not getting credit are not mutually exclusive.

Doc getting credit and Carlisle not getting credit are not mutually exclusive.

There's certainly room for the media to talk up both Doc and Carlisle, but the point is they don't. And it's because Rivers is a media darling (because he was part of the media) and Carlisle is not (even though what he did this year is more impressive than what Doc did, in both the post and regular season imo). Seems like the media routinely talks about Rivers as a top 3 coach. I don't see how that's clear cut at all. Pop is clearly in a league of his own, but then you have Carlisle, Thibodeau, Rivers, Spoelstra, and Van Gundy that are fairly difficult to distinguish between. I don't see how Rivers has the clear cut edge over anyone of those guys (Thibodeau and Van Gundy haven't won a championship but they haven't had as good of rosters as Rivers has had).

There's certainly room for the media to talk up both Doc and Carlisle, but the point is they don't. And it's because Rivers is a media darling (because he was part of the media) and Carlisle is not (even though what he did this year is more impressive than what Doc did, in both the post and regular season imo). Seems like the media routinely talks about Rivers as a top 3 coach. I don't see how that's clear cut at all. Pop is clearly in a league of his own, but then you have Carlisle, Thibodeau, Rivers, Spoelstra, and Van Gundy that are fairly difficult to distinguish between. I don't see how Rivers has the clear cut edge over anyone of those guys (Thibodeau and Van Gundy haven't won a championship but they haven't had as good of rosters as Rivers has had).

Spoelstra is clearly in the top 2.

Can a coach be a great coach yet have a team so dependant on one player?

If his GM set that players' backup as a minimum salary guy who changed 5 teams in 5 years because he couldn't guard anyone, sure. The results weren't like that with Bledsoe as his backup.

Rivers is a media darling because he gives great interviews to the media. (This is more obvious when you get tons of local media coverage, not just standard national coach coverage)

Carlisle gets tons of credit, the only reason he's not talked about as much is because Dallas is kind of down and Cuban will never give him up, whereas Doc just traded teams between two marquee franchises.

Spoelstra is clearly in the top 2.

Eh...I'm just not quite convinced.

Prime Lebron is just such a huge luxury. And it isn't like the Heat have even dominated with him. In four seasons (in the weaker conference), only won the regular season title once. And we all know that Scotts Brooks is a donk, and the Heat were incredibly lucky to get by the Spurs (and, arguably, the Pacers) last year.

Eh...I'm just not quite convinced.

Prime Lebron is just such a huge luxury. And it isn't like the Heat have even dominated with him. In four seasons (in the weaker conference), only won the regular season title once. And we all know that Scotts Brooks is a donk, and the Heat were incredibly lucky to get by the Spurs (and, arguably, the Pacers) last year.

Spo coached and incredible series in the Finals. Repeating is really really hard to do, as is managing the spotlight.

The Clippers are only 1 game better off with Doc Rivers as their coach then they were with Vinny Del Negro. So was Vinny that bad of a coach now? Or was Doc that good of a coach when he won the title with Pierce, Garnett & Ray Allen? Seems to me he made a lot of coaching errors in key stretches in both these playoff series. They bailed him out by winning against the Warriors but the Thunder made him pay.

FWIW basketball-reference rates this year's squad a decent amount better than last year's. This was also their best postseason in the Chris Paul era.

Coincidentally the last 3 seasons have been the 3 best seasons in Clippers history.

Back