• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What school would you rather replace Maryland with?

What school would you rather replace Maryland with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Louisville - they have better basketball and football right now, they bridge the geographical gap between ND and the rest of the conference, and Kentucky (as a market) is expanding faster than Connecticut is.

Apparently enough to get the Big 10's attention.

from what I've read it doesn't matter if anyone watches the games in NYC. The contracts the Big Ten Network have with Time Warner and Comcast automatically increase by something like .80 or .90 per subscriber if the Big Ten has a team in the market.

Georgetown?? You realize expansion is about football, right?

Yes, I get it's about football. These are my ideal choices, not realistic ones. I and some other posters like the idea of Georgetown, but know in reality it wouldn't make the ACC stronger today.

Louisville or UConn look like the most realistic options as of now.

Ga Tech might leave for the B10. Nobody is going to the B12. Makes no sense.

If the SEC came calling for our big football schools, we would be in trouble.

You won't see Clemson, GT or FSU in the SEC, unless they totally change the focus of their expansion. Those teams don't add new markets to the SEC, and face staunch opposition from UGA, UF and USC (a group that will vote together to prevent adding any of those teams). The Big 12 is the only real threat, but I just don't see it.

Last edited:
There is a slight chance that with the Big Ten expansion that Penn State might get the ax and come to the ACC

One small catch with the 'Ville, UConn, Cincy or USF - they are in the Big lEast so they have that 27 month wait to exit. That can be expedited as we have seen with WVU at 4xs to get out quickly, or 'Cuse & Pitt paying less to get out just a year early. However, Navy wouldn't have to wait (a la TCU) since they have not become official yet...

One small catch with the 'Ville, UConn, Cincy or USF - they are in the Big lEast so they have that 27 month wait to exit. That can be expedited as we have seen with WVU at 4xs to get out quickly, or 'Cuse & Pitt paying less to get out just a year early. However, Navy wouldn't have to wait (a la TCU) since they have not become official yet...

We could always use some of the buyout money from Maryland to expedite the process - worked for WVU

From the standpoint of trying to add competetive sports teams who get ratings, I don't know how UConn makes it in over Louisville. In reality the ACC is a basketball conference and the Kentuckiana area watches more college basketball then any other place in the U.S. besides the Triangle (maybe). UConn may have more championships and final fours in the last 10 years, but as far as revenue is concerned, Louisville is a much bigger basketball draw. They have much better football too, and I don't think UConn football is a big draw anywhere outside of Storrs.

Last edited:
Grow a pair. Invite Texas/Okahoma and 'force' ND to make a decision. Sell everyone on the idea that the combination is the best way to challenge SEC hegemony. Crush the B12 and knock the PAC / BIG down a rung. If the survivors want to go to 18, then you can discuss UConn, Louisville, Kansas, et al. Gotta think outside the box on this one...

No doubt Louisville doesn't fit the ACC profile academically, BUT they have as good an AD there is in Tom Jurich. He has really rebuilt all sports there, not just the two big ones. They fit the ACC athletically very well when you look at all sports. Great soccer, field hockey, volleyball and baseball. The host the field hockey final four about every five years.

Also, it is a big Catholic town with a huge fondness for Notre Dame. They would love to be back in the same conference with them.

No doubt Louisville doesn't fit the ACC profile academically, BUT they have as good an AD there is in Tom Jurich. He has really rebuilt all sports there, not just the two big ones. They fit the ACC athletically very well when you look at all sports. Great soccer, field hockey, volleyball and baseball. The host the field hockey final four about every five years.

Also, it is a big Catholic town with a huge fondness for Notre Dame. They would love to be back in the same conference with them.
I like Louisville as well. Academically, no they're not UConn (although their basketball team isn't on probation for academic ineptitude), but they have great facilities, great fan support, and solid athletic programs. Their football team is 80-44 since 2000 with a BCS bowl win and a stadium that's nicer than their in-state SEC counterpart, averaging nearly 50K fans a game. Their basketball team is a top 10 program, with a beautiful arena, and is 3rd in the country in basketball attendance behind Kentucky and Syracuse. They have $88M revenue, $82M expenses, which is better than a lot of BCS programs. It shows Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech that the ACC gives a shit about football. It gives the basketball conference another elite member. I just like it as a whole.

It's got to be ND as a full-time member to put a stop to all this crap. Swofford needs to get this done even if it means allowing ND to keep its NBC deal.

None of these other filler schools will do us any good to settle things down and stop a mass exodus.

Problem is Clemson, FSU want a football school. If it is just about adding a school regardless of football, by all means UCONN is perfect. But if ACC wants to keep Vtech, FSU, Clemson it has to make a football move.

What football moves are available?

Louisville or UConn just depends on when. Both are basketball schools like Cuse and Pitt and most of the ACC.

Back