• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHERE ARE THE STUDENTS?

Fraternities had band parties for most home games, so home games were big deals (see dates at games). Drinking was at the games, not in tailgates before the games. We were too lazy to plan a tailgate and the university had no interest in a student lot. I once had a date carry in a plastic gas tank full of gin and tonics.

The students were mainly males from NC who had an interest in ACC football and basketball. This was a good thing for Salem girls who liked to go to games....
This nation is so much more uptight than it used to be.

Originally Posted by BobStackFan4Life
I still can't make sense of the basketball attendance. The students at Wake today are different than past students. I'm not blaming anyone for not showing up, do what you want, but there have been bad Wake teams before and the student attendance never fell off like this. Anyone have an explanation for what is going on? Obviously much of it has to do with how abysmal we were last season.

1) Abysmal last season.
2) A coach who doesn't connect with the fanbase or students...it's not his strong point.
3) A coaching hire who doesn't bring people out in expectation of a turn around.
4) No players on the team that the student body have gotten to know/love.

5) A substandard crony hire that is an insult to everyone's intelligence.
6) An AD who thinks he can get away with telling them its raining while he's piszing down their backs. (i.e. dishonesty every step of the way from the Dino firing to the excuses for Bz and everything in between.)
7) An AD who refuses to admit and correct the mistake of hiring Bz.

Actually I don't agree with #1. It was much more than just the losses. Wellman's handling of this situation took away all hope from the fanbase. We were betrayed and lied to. We (and the students) love Wake. Being betrayed and decieved by "someone" you love is hard to take. And you wonder why they don't want to go sit in the Joel and have Bz rubbed in their face while they suffer through his incompetence?

And yes, I also agree with the posters who question whether these students will be supporters of Wake after they graduate. They should be going to games and generating memories that will cause them to do things in the future like go to games, donate to the school, (and post on message boards). But thanks to Wellman that's not going to happen for a lot of these students.

Back