• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which Big Name Players Have Had Success As Coaches?

oldmandeac

Reaction score
No knock intended, but just curious...

I've always heard that the best coaches are those who aren't necessarily stars when they play as they learn the game from sitting on the bench near the coaches while the stars focus on improving their individual skills.

I remember Bill Russell was a successful Player/Coach and then Coach in the NBA. But, I am not recalling any similar situations in the college game although I am certain there have been and this board will be able to recall who they were. Buzz Peterson and Matt Dougherty haven't panned out as coaches, Tommy Amaker has been debated on other threads as have the Capels... I can't remember if Billy Donovan was a star player...

Anyway, improve my memory

Most successful NBA players stick around in the NBA if they want to move into coaching.

"As the starting point guard for Rick Pitino's Providence Friars men's basketball team, Donovan led the Friars to the 1987 Final Four. As such, he is one of only four men (Dean Smith, Joe B. Hall and Bobby Knight being the others) to appear in the NCAA Final Four as a player and win the NCAA national championship as a coach.[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Donovan

Billy Donovan was a college star. See Providence - 1987.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040414aab.html

I read some of these quotes by people like Larry Brown and players who were tutored by Manning at Kansas and I think we've hired ourselves one quality person. "I'm blessed to have even met him" is not something you hear NBA players say every day about their former coaches. And I really like what Brown has to say about him too.

Yeah NBA players usually become NBA coaches. Larry Bird was NBA COY in 1998. Larry Brown was a three time ABA All-Star. Doug Collins was a four time NBA All-Star.

Most successful NBA players stick around in the NBA if they want to move into coaching.
Also, crappy players are more likely to get a head start in coaching because their playing careers end earlier. Plus successful pro players don't really need the money so they aren't going to put in years on the bench for a small salary.

Considering Manning made $58M during his pro career, that he was willing to pay his dues in the coaching world shows he has a real passion for coaching.

Also, crappy players are more likely to get a head start in coaching because their playing careers end earlier. Plus successful pro players don't really need the money so they aren't going to put in years on the bench for a small salary.

Considering Manning made $58M during his pro career, that he was willing to pay his dues in the coaching world shows he has a real passion for coaching.

This is what I was going to say

I think most head coaches weren't stars because their playing days ended much much sooner

I mean, Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, Kevin McHale, Doc Rivers, etc.

Larry Bird was Coach of the Year

Lenny Wilkens and KC Jones were. Herbie Magee was a two time All American, won a D2 NC, has won 985 games and is a HOFer.

Don Nelson may be the best example of great player to great coach.

Nelson wasn't as good a player or a coach as Lenny Wilkens. But Nellie did bring back the fast break after the thug era.

It could reasonably be argued Wilkens was a better player than Nelson. Only you would argue he was a better coach.

Manning is probably the greatest college plAyer I can remember going back into college coaching in the past 30 years. Can anyone else name a better college player that made a career out of coaching college basketball?

You can't help yourself about being an asshole can you?

Let's look at their pro coaching accomplishments:

Hall of Fame as coach - BOTH
Top 10 All Time as Coach - BOTH
Wins - Nelie -1335 Lenny -1332
Wining %- Nellie -.557 Lenny .536
NBA Finals Appearances - Nellie - 0 Lenny -2
NBA Rings as Coach - Nellie- 0 Lenny -1

Only YOU wouldn't "Argue" who is better. They are very equal. Lenny got to the finals twice and won once.

EDIT: Deachead proves he hasn't changed. His post saying "only you" was a clear and intentional insult. Then when I return his punch he cries like a little girl and negs me.

BTW, he couldn't dispute the facts.

Last edited:
Just to remind everyone what kind of ridiculously awesome college player we're dealing with:

Code:
Season    School  Conf   G   MP   FG  FGA  FG%  2P  2PA  2P%  3P 3PA  3P%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
1984-85   Kansas Big 8  34 32.9  6.1 10.9 .566                            2.3 3.0 .765 7.6 3.2 1.7 1.0 2.6 3.6 14.6
1985-86   Kansas Big 8  39 32.2  7.2 11.9 .600                            2.4 3.3 .748 6.3 2.4 2.1 1.2 2.3 3.1 16.7
1986-87   Kansas Big 8  36 34.7  9.6 15.6 .617 9.6 15.5 .619 0.0 0.1 .333 4.6 6.3 .730 9.5 1.8 1.2 1.3 2.8 3.2 23.9
1987-88   Kansas Big 8  38 35.2 10.0 17.2 .583 9.8 16.5 .593 0.2 0.7 .346 4.5 6.1 .734 9.0 2.0 1.8 1.9 3.0 3.0 24.8
Career    Kansas       147 33.7  8.3 13.9 .593 9.7 16.0 .605 0.1 0.4 .345 3.5 4.7 .740 8.1 2.3 1.7 1.4 2.7 3.2 20.1

Manning is probably the greatest college plAyer I can remember going back into college coaching in the past 30 years. Can anyone else name a better college player that made a career out of coaching college basketball?

John Wooden was an All Time great college player, but that was another era. In this era great players usually make too much money to want the hassle of being a high D1 coach over the past thirty years.

Back