• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which show is better: Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld?

?

• Total voters
curb also had more leeway by being on HBO, not just the language/subject matter, but shorter seasons and could play with show length, etc.

both are near perfect for their platforms

jerry whining about how you can't be funny because of the left in a world where curb just went out to heavy critical acclaim -- after a 20 year run -- is a pretty bad look
To his point, you can no longer go on tv and make jokes like "The Ukraine is weak" without having to come to terms with your country failing to aid a Western Democracy because members of Congress have a sick desire to aid a malevolent dictator.

This joke did not age well.

Jerry is a grumpy dude.

One thing I did agree with him on that he talked about on Dak Shepard's podcast:

He mentioned how comedians today will likely never know what it's like to get boo'd off stage bc it's so easy to get force-fed content you agree with via online algorithms. You see a skit you like on Instagram? You can just check out that comedian and see if they are right for you or not before buying tickets. Comedians can then simply pander to a particular crowd, or whatever has worked best for them online while they're up on stage. It's all part of the larger echo-chamber the internet has created, but I thought it was an interesting take.

Personally I still love going to places like Zanies to listen to comedians I've never heard of before.

i can sympathize with the idea that perhaps stand-up comedians are a little more vulnerable to cancellation than a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Always Sunny but give me an example of someone that got canceled because they told an offensive joke but it was still funny

all the "cancelations" I'm aware of -- which is, like, Michael Richards and maybe that's it -- are from bits that are offensive and terribly unfunny

i can sympathize with the idea that perhaps stand-up comedians are a little more vulnerable to cancellation than a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Always Sunny but give me an example of someone that got canceled because they told an offensive joke but it was still funny

all the "cancelations" I'm aware of -- which is, like, Michael Richards and maybe that's it -- are from bits that are offensive and terribly unfunny
He is a 70 year old man complaining that the world is different and scary, and rather than take a shot at media companies who approve things by committee and have stopped taking risks, he instead made it about liberal politics. Considering he was documented dating a high schooler, maybe the world should care a little less about his idea of right and wrong.

What is funny is always going to be a function of current culture and norms. What killed in 1300s Sri Lanka, may not quite land at the Des Moines Laff Factory. It does seem like the comedians who complain the most are the ones that haven't put out anything funny or interesting in the last decade.

I haven't heard any good 700 year old Sri Lankan jokes lately because they've been canceled by the left.

What is funny is always going to be a function of current culture and norms. What killed in 1300s Sri Lanka, may not quite land at the Des Moines Laff Factory. It does seem like the comedians who complain the most are the ones that haven't put out anything funny or interesting in the last decade.
In 1352 a man walked into a barber shop in Anuradhapura. He asked how many customers were ahead of him in line. The reply was three. The man said he was too busy to wait but would check back the next day.

The next day at the same time he visited the barber and again asked how many were ahead of him. The reply was five and again he went away saying he would check back tomorrow.

On the third day he visited the barber and asked how many were there ahead of him. The answer was four. Thank you, I will come tomorrow, he said.

The barber asked his assistant why the man never waits to get his hair cut. He tells his assistant to follow the man and report back.

Several minutes later the assistant returned to say that the man had gone to the barber’s house.

LONDON (Reuters) - The world's oldest recorded joke has been traced back to 1900 BC and suggests toilet humor was as popular with the ancients as it is today.

It is a saying of the Sumerians, who lived in what is now southern Iraq and goes: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

A 1600 BC gag about a pharaoh, said to be King Snofru, comes second -- "How do you entertain a bored pharaoh? You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish."

The oldest British joke dates back to the 10th Century and reveals the bawdy face of the Anglo-Saxons -- "What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? Answer: A key."

LONDON (Reuters) - The world's oldest recorded joke has been traced back to 1900 BC and suggests toilet humor was as popular with the ancients as it is today.

It is a saying of the Sumerians, who lived in what is now southern Iraq and goes: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

A 1600 BC gag about a pharaoh, said to be King Snofru, comes second -- "How do you entertain a bored pharaoh? You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish."

The oldest British joke dates back to the 10th Century and reveals the bawdy face of the Anglo-Saxons -- "What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? Answer: A key."
All still funny

What's the deal with keys? At this age, I have way too many things hanging below my waist.

Why aren't you laughing?

But Seinfeld gets a 17 year old to fart in his lap and all of a sudden he's the bad guy?

Back