• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Here Has a Net Worth of Over One Million USD

Do you have a net worth (net of debt you owe) of over $1 million USD

• Yes

Votes: 22 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 92 80.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But perhaps you guys are right, my stocks have done very poorly so far this week. I would have enjoyed blowing the $600 I'm down going to a few nice restaurants/bars/strip clubs a lot more than watching it fall in an Etrade account :thumbsup:

How did I get pulled into this thread? You gross poor people need to keep me out of this and go back to talking about living on tunafish and sleeping on air matresses.

I don't think anyone, much less several people, said this. I did say sharing a single bedroom three ways, having basic cable, and eating Ramen noodles every night just to try to save $350K before getting married sounded miserable. It does.
I get what you're saying, but as others have said, it's miserable based on some sort of American standard. When you get older that gets less meaningful, then you wish you had the money.

The whole discussion also got into the idea you need to spend your extra money while single so you can spend your extra cash on stuff you want instead of getting married and spending your extra money on stuff you don't want. I guess for me that pointed to a problem was on both sides of that equation. Why not live beneath your means and enjoy life too? Money ain't everything. Rosebud.

You can't put a price on your 20's ... those are the best years of your life and unlike any material good, they cannot be purchased again.

I fully support saving money wisely, but at the same time - enjoy the one totally depreciating asset you have (the time you are alive). You know what happens when are dead with 2,500,000 in your bank around? You're still dead.

I saved some money in my 20s (working as a computer engineer, making as much or more than the figures being thrown on this board) - but I also had a blast. I traveled, I partied, I went to sporting events, I did things that I'll look back in life and remember. Yeah, I could have a higher net worth right now if I skipped those things ... but why?

Money in the bank has no value to itself, it's merely a tool to use to improve your life experience.

Quite frankly I think every decade has been better than the last. I'm in my 40's. Each is more challenging, certainly. But better.

Quite frankly I think every decade has been better than the last. I'm in my 40's. Each is more challenging, certainly. But better.
Pos rep. I thought the same thing after reading that. Most of what I valued in my 20s looks totally stupid 20 years later. I think most people finally "get it" in their 30s.

How did I get pulled into this thread? You gross poor people need to keep me out of this and go back to talking about living on tunafish and sleeping on air matresses.

Apparently, because you are bald and work on wall street.

This is not the first time pourman has grossly (and willingly?) misinterpreted something I've said that somehow everybody else understands and mostly agrees with.

Haters gonna hate

OGD - have you already graduated and you're implementing this plan? Or is this a tentative plan?

I agree with Vad though... save enough money to be safe and practical, but you gotta live life. You're gonna work hard for your money and it will get depressing quickly to spend your time outside of work like a hobo. Its easy to live on the cheap in college when everyone around you is also broke and you have no real responsibilities so life is generally enjoyable.

I will bring this thread back up when I crack a milli

Quite frankly I think every decade has been better than the last. I'm in my 40's. Each is more challenging, certainly. But better.[/QUOTE]

You know, I disagree with you quite often, but I really appreciate this post from you. And it's really sad to think that we have people in their 20s who honestly feel that the quality of their life can only go down from that period. Life is so precious....all of it....and to have the attitude that the best part of it will be over after one's 20s is troubling, to say the least. Each of the stages of one's life offers different challenges & different rewards, but each one is something to look forward to and to cherish.

Agreed. I loved my 20's. They were fun. But for most of them I wasn't married. That's been amazing. And in my 30's I added kids to the mix - the greatest thing that's ever happened for me and my wife (even if there are days when it is beyond maddening and ridiculously challenging - today, very frankly, being one of those days). The career challenges and opportunities have also been great, but they are secondary to the everything else. Anyway, you take life as it comes to you and enjoy the ride. It's a collection of moments and all decades offer them. Suffice to say the ones you remember most involve your friends and, moreso, your family.

Agreed. I loved my 20's. They were fun. But for most of them I wasn't married. That's been amazing. And in my 30's I added kids to the mix - the greatest thing that's ever happened for me and my wife (even if there are days when it is beyond maddening and ridiculously challenging - today, very frankly, being one of those days). The career challenges and opportunities have also been great, but they are secondary to the everything else. Anyway, you take life as it comes to you and enjoy the ride. It's a collection of moments and all decades offer them. Suffice to say the ones you remember most involve your friends and, moreso, your family.

Deacman, I'm not going to lie: I'm a pretentious dick. Your 20s weren't great. You didn't do drugs, or fuck whores or party crazy. So enjoy your 40s ( I surely am) but for gods sake don't be mire then you aren't.

Deacman, I'm not going to lie: I'm a pretentious dick. Your 20s weren't great. You didn't do drugs, or fuck whores or party crazy. So enjoy your 40s ( I surely am) but for gods sake don't be mire then you aren't.

Yeah but when you live the bohemian lifestyle you have to worry about HIV, overdosing, irreparable damage to your liver, car accidents, etc. I've been living that way for the past 5 years and I'm starting to think that there will be some very real consequences if I continue. My hero is currently dying of esophageal cancer at age 62, and he's lucky to have made it that far.

Haters gonna hate

OGD - have you already graduated and you're implementing this plan? Or is this a tentative plan?

I agree with Vad though... save enough money to be safe and practical, but you gotta live life. You're gonna work hard for your money and it will get depressing quickly to spend your time outside of work like a hobo. Its easy to live on the cheap in college when everyone around you is also broke and you have no real responsibilities so life is generally enjoyable.

I will bring this thread back up when I crack a milli

tentative plan. I have been trolling just a little bit. I don't think I'll actually live quite that frugally nor would I want to. If I'm going to get rich, it won't be by saving and investing in the stock market. It'll be through investing my time, energy, and money into my own startup. Startup culture means living at least as frugally as I planned, as most go bellyup, VCs don't like it when you use their money for hookers/blow, and you can't cash out for years. But it's all worth it if you can sell out after 4 years hard work and never have to do anything you don't want to again.

well i think that's the idea. that's what your 20s are for. get that shit done while you're young. or some version of that anyway.

tentative thread. I have been trolling just a little bit. I don't think I'll actually live quite that frugally nor would I want too. If I'm going to get rich, it won't be by saving and investing in the stock market. It'll be through investing my time, energy, and money into my own startup. Startup culture means living at least as frugally as I planned, as most go bellyup, VCs don't like it when you use their money for hookers/blow, and you can't cash out for years. But it's all worth it if you can sell out after 4 years hard work and never have to do anything you don't want to again.

Essentially OG franchising is your wheelhouse!

Wow, this board is 20% millionaires (if true). I must admit that surprises me.

Yeah but when you live the bohemian lifestyle you have to worry about HIV, overdosing, irreparable damage to your liver, car accidents, etc. I've been living that way for the past 5 years and I'm starting to think that there will be some very real consequences if I continue. My hero is currently dying of esophageal cancer at age 62, and he's lucky to have made it that far.

No brah, I'm fine.

Wow, this board is 20% millionaires (if true). I must admit that surprises me.

There is a critical difference between a net worth of a million dollars and a person who nets a million a year. Big, big, big difference.

There is a critical difference between a net worth of a million dollars and a person who nets a million a year. Big, big, big difference.

The definition of a millionaire is somebody with a net worth of a million dollars or more.

Yes, obviously Dirk.

I'm going to post another poll and ask how many people net of their primary residence and all debt have $1 MM saved. I bet our numbers drop big time then. 20% on this poll is still surprising though IMO

Then I'll poll who makes 1 MM plus a year in wages. That should be a very small number.

Back