• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

This 100%. The timing makes zero sense if you were planning on standing pat.

This would be the truly baffling thing to me. Why have Currie walk into an absolute shit storm? It was set up nicely for Wellman to do the dirty work of firing Manning, and Currie getting to start off his tenure by hiring the replacement. Because this is so illogical, for now I'm going to continue to believe that Manning will indeed be let go.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, hoping that our athletic department is not full of complete idiots.

You can just as easily have Currie work in the background without announcing it the same way he apparently is now, so that argument doesn't make sense either.

My guess is that Wellman is fighting really hard to keep DM. He wants part of his legacy to be like the AD at Duke who stuck with K. The only problem is DM is no Coach K

This is all classic Ron Wellman - fuck it up, and then fuck it up worse.

Then why the fuck would wake even announce Currie as the AD? All that does is make the entire athletic department look like fucking morons. Wait a month, regardless of a leak, until after the manning decision is made.

If you want Wellman to take the full downfall of this then wait to announce Currie since you’re trying to say he’s supposedly waiting until May to be involved in any meaningful way.

Your first mistake was expecting the Wake Forest Athletic Department to act in a reasonable or responsible fashion.

This is all classic Ron Wellman - fuck it up, and then fuck it up worse.

Correct.

I am not going to worry too much until another credible source agrees with Les. Which probably means no one on this message board. Les may be right in leaning towards Manning being retained, but he is a lone wolf at this point based on his sources.

This makes the entire school look bad. The extension was moronic, but even so, keeping Manning will cost much more than that insane buyout.

Is there no business school at Wake?

This is very concerning. I can't imagine Les would have reported that if he didn't feel strongly it is true. Couple this report with DM's appearance on the recruiting circuit and of course the enormous buyout Wellman owes DM, and I have a bad feeling the bean counters are winning the argument about whether to can Manning...On the flip side, several with good sources have said he's gone. So maybe the decision makers are keeping things close to the vest with our media friends...

Yeah, I don't pretend to know what type of sources or contacts Les may have at this point, but I'm puzzled by his decision to assign a percentage to this. If he is trying to divine an outcome by "reading the tea leaves" like a weather man before Doppler radar, I would prefer he didn't. Just report the facts and say to this point, no press conference is happening today.

But without even a droplet of a leak that DM is going to be retained for the time being, what is the point of sending fans into an uproar and steal what hope we have left? (Oh that's right, click bait!) I just don't remember much of any news of consequence being broken by any source, other than Dave Glenn recently, on these matters, at least not any that posts on this board.

No news could still be good news, for reasons discussed above, or it's just Ron being Ron and he won't give us the satisfaction of just knowing SOMETHING when it's obvious to most everyone Danny's seat is beyond red hot. But obviously they care more about controlling narratives and the optics of something that already stinks far worse than anything rotten in Denmark from a Shakespeare novel.

My guess is that Wellman is fighting really hard to keep DM. He wants part of his legacy to be like the AD at Duke who stuck with K. The only problem is DM is no Coach K

No. His legacy is that of ruining Wake b-ball for 9 plus years by making 2 of the worst hires in the history of the ACC. If he leaves with Manning still as the coach, he cements that legacy. The only way he can remove at least a tiny bit of the stink is get rid of Manning and hope that Currie brings in a coach that rights the ship in minimal time.

I recollect a respectable poster (can’t remember who) commented a few days ago that Wake will pay the buyout in one way or another. But the magnitude of the buyout will absolutely affect how much we pay our next coach. I am starting to think this is where we are headed— a Wes Miller, Russell Turner type salary (maybe $1.2 MM?), with hefty incentives for doing a great job. Which of course today sounds better than yesterday.

It could be that they tried to lure Shaka (Currie in Austin ostensibly glad-handing former associates) and/or Matta and realize the buyout is hindering their ability to come up with the coin required to get a top-notch hire. Which has been my fear all along, that the admin, Hatch and the provost have made it clear, in no uncertain terms, there is a ceiling on these proceedings. Of course, missing the forest through the trees in lost BB revenue and incalculable future damage in lost fans and fallout from a lost decade of mismanagement. Your students already mostly don't give two squirts about BB, and now you've lost out on a near generation of future fan support in the Triad and beyond (ABC'ers and ABD'ers are forced to actually root for State, gasp!!).

I hold out hope that Currie really did try or is going down swinging because it's too early to pass judgment on a guy who went to Wake when Odom was already beating Duke, Carolina and Cremins' lead Tech teams in the early 90's. He can't be this daft nor can Currie not have the desire to want to return us to that type of success. He may have been cock (Hatch) blocked for all we know.

It could be that they tried to lure Shaka (Currie in Austin ostensibly glad-handing former associates) and/or Matta and realize the buyout is hindering their ability to come up with the coin required to get a top-notch hire. Which has been my fear all along, that the admin, Hatch and the provost have made it clear, in no uncertain terms, there is a ceiling on these proceedings. Of course, missing the forest through the trees in lost BB revenue and incalculable future damage in lost fans and fallout from a lost decade of mismanagement. Your students already mostly don't give two squirts about BB, and now you've lost out on a near generation of future fan support in the Triad and beyond (ABC'ers and ABD'ers are forced to actually root for State, gasp!!).

I hold out hope that Currie really did try or is going down swinging because it's too early to pass judgment on a guy who went to Wake when Odom was already beating Duke, Carolina and Cremins' lead Tech teams in the early 90's. He can't be this daft nor can Currie not have the desire to want to return us to that type of success. He may have been cock (Hatch) blocked for all we know.

If this is the case, then Currie hasn't learned much since Phil Fulmer schooled him at Tennessee.

Getting some more millions on top of the millions he already has must be paramount to DM. The guy looks like he hates his job, he’s a dismal failure at it and the fan base does not support him at all. Gotta be miserable being coach...except for the millions.

Getting some more millions on top of the millions he already has must be paramount to DM. The guy looks like he hates his job, he’s a dismal failure at it and the fan base does not support him at all. Gotta be miserable being coach...except for the millions.

At what point is having some job satisfaction and doing something you are capable of become more important than stealing more and more money from a supposed institution of higher learning?

Then again Danny went to Kansas with the crooked hire of his pop to get him out of NC so being a stand up guy may not be a priority.

Can’t wait for the Ron press conference where he says something like “Of course Danny is coming back. Why wouldn’t he be coming back?” and treats everyone like idiots for wondering what the hell is going on.

And he really thinks he's been dealt a raw deal with all the early departures. Such bad luck Danny! You did your best! You even told Doral and Craw they should stay.

Well, it's incumbent upon you big fella to create the conditions for them wanting to stay, or knowing what the hell you're doing when coaching them.

So our rich guys tried but couldn't muster enough coin for the ouster.

Gotta say, that's as on brand for LOWF as anything that's happened on the court since the Gaudio years

Gotta say, that's as on brand for LOWF as anything that's happened on the court since the Gaudio years

Can't say I blame them. How do you justify that extension? How do you ask people who have been successful in their own lives to pay for such a colossal blunder.

I feel like the title of this thread could also be "Why was he ever our BB coach??!" The guy seems so disinterested and unaffected by anything that goes on around him. Guess Bill Self secretly hates Wake Forest or, probably Ron Wellman, so he gave Manning a sterling recommendation on the depth of his coaching acumen.

But it should have been readily apparent that this guy didn't have the intensity nor the level of charisma required to be an effective big-time P5/6 coach.

Can't say I blame them. How do you justify that extension? How do you ask people who have been successful in their own lives to pay for such a colossal blunder.

If Wellman were a good person, he’d kick in half of it.

why hast though art forsaken us, Dolan Ross?

Back