• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Wait?

Deke 73

Reaction score
As a long time supporter of our basketball program, the handwriting on the wall with [Redacted] has been clear for a long time. I can think of many reasons not to delay his dismissal. Can anyone provide any postive rationale for retaining this bufoon for another game, much less the balance of the season, or beyond?

Our beloved athletic director has a lot riding on Buzz.

I understand this sentiment, but even Wellman must understand that there is no possible way that Bzz gets us back to top third of the conference in the next two years, let alone post-season success. Putting aside his pathetic performance and personality handicaps, we were told Bzz was hired to take us further in the post-season and have us competing for championships. That will NEVER happen. Fact. Even Wellman knows that. Christ, we're patting ourselves on the back for beating High Point.

As a long time supporter of our basketball program, the handwriting on the wall with [Redacted] has been clear for a long time. I can think of many reasons not to delay his dismissal. Can anyone provide any postive rationale for retaining this bufoon for another game, much less the balance of the season, or beyond?

You should try TOB. There's still a few shill's onboard the post-iceberg hit RMS Bztanic over there.

If you're looking for a modest proposal, I think you have to give him this year AND next, so that you can completely burn the program to the ground and start from scratch: no survivors. If you don't ride the rollercoaster all the way to the bottom, you leave the possibility that Wellman survives this cluster. You need a total searing in order to give the next coach the confidence that he's not charged with wrestling a severed, live powerline. Instead, he will be able to re-colonize after the Basketball Armageddon.

Talking about this with my old man (a 40 year, twin sport STH). Wellman's evil genius is pretty crafty: what could be viewed as "Wake Forest legends" into the program (22 and Rusty) is really just creating human shields. Pops made the point: If you need a "culture change" why do you keep the entire staff? This thing gets more rancid as the losses pile up.

I understand this sentiment, but even Wellman must understand that there is no possible way that Bzz gets us back to top third of the conference in the next two years, let alone post-season success. Putting aside his pathetic performance and personality handicaps, we were told Bzz was hired to take us further in the post-season and have us competing for championships. That will NEVER happen. Fact. Even Wellman knows that. Christ, we're patting ourselves on the back for beating High Point.

And with good reason, considering the circumstances.

First the assumption he's getting fired at the end of the season, the people that are assuming that are all here and have no say.

But if you want actual reasons you wouldn't do it based on performance.

- the next coach won't be hired until after the season is over
- the media is already on our backs about firing a winning coach, just watch them jump on firing a coach at mid-season
- the above may limit our new coach options more, but opinions vary on that
- it would be real easy for our recruits to be re-recruited, assuming we want a chance to keep them
- as opposed to a firing at the end of the season current players will have months to think about what they want to do

I think people would be better focused on hoping he's fired at the end of the season, IMO there is about zero percent chance he's getting fired during the season unless there is some sort of scandal.

First the assumption he's getting fired at the end of the season, the people that are assuming that are all here and have no say.

- the media is already on our backs about firing a winning coach, just watch them jump on firing a coach at mid-season
- it would be real easy for our recruits to be re-recruited, assuming we want a chance to keep them
- as opposed to a firing at the end of the season current players will have months to think about what they want to do

I think people would be better focused on hoping he's fired at the end of the season, IMO there is about zero percent chance he's getting fired during the season unless there is some sort of scandal.

Scandles such as being down to Iona 41-5 and us having a "great" win over High Point are not enough?

"the media is already on our backs about firing a winning coach, just watch them jump on firing a coach at mid-season"

There's no media glare on Wake Forest. That is part of the problem. Donut Dan? Give me a break.

Buzz should be getting roasted for this abortion of a product he puts on the floor but unfortunately LOWF just kind of scoots under the radar. We can only hope Andy Katz, Seth Davis, etc...turn up the heat soon.

This. Bottom line: you want a fair shot at Shaka? Do not humiliate battle after all he's gone through by appointing him interim w no real desire at years end to give him the job. Battle is widely respected in the college coaching ranks. And liked. Do that to him and we are fucked.

Continue to be surprised how short sighted some of you are. My 3 year old gets it better.

The only thing that wasn't addressed by callers last night was the fact that the Joel has gone from being as good a home court advantage outside of Durham in the ACC, to being only slightly more loud than the campus library. Of course we need material for next week.

This. Bottom line: you want a fair shot at Shaka? Do not humiliate battle after all he's gone through by appointing him interim w no real desire at years end to give him the job. Battle is widely respected in the college coaching ranks. And liked. Do that to him and we are fucked.

Continue to be surprised how short sighted some of you are. My 3 year old gets it better.

Why is that humuliating Battle? If anything it gives him an opportunity to shine as a head coach. Even if we don't hire him full time, if he does a good job you'd have to think that his name would be up for a head coaching job somewhere. It's pretty clear that the peoplewho are asking for a change now want a coach who will clean house and bring in an entirely new staff (maybe keep Rusty or Chill as a 3rd assistant or something, but I think that's just sentimental anyway)

We must clean house. Bring n new AD now. Let him hire his own basketball coach. Force Grobe to fire Lobo and bring some heat on his job. In a few years let the new AD replace Grobe

We need a reset as an athletic program. First order is to find a great AD to replace Wellman.

Exactly, Wrangor. Well said.

And as far as Rusty and Childress, if they want to be basketball coaches, there are plenty of places they can do it. Both have plenty of contacts and people who would vouch for them.

I have been told by a BOT that they will not fire bzzzz mid season, although many of them want to. Wellman is still telling them hat Bzzz is going to turn it around. The Board said that they will need to see amazing progress this year for him to keep his job....although hey wouldn't tell me what "amazing" progress is.

The person also told me they really want to keep Ronnie around, but they fear they may have to fire him if he is unwilling to get rid of bzzz.

Guys, you really need to give up on the Shaka to Wake thing. Maybe if Wake changes administration (and I don't know how deep that would have to go), but otherwise, I see Shaka and Wake as oil and water.

Back