• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WiiU- what say ye?

HoosierDeac

Reaction score
Anyone excited about this thing? Can someone explain how a tablet/controller is useful- it's not really 'portable' is it???

I'm just playing with you :p It just smacks of Nintendo trying to regain their lost ground in the video game market by trying to be innovative. At this point, I don't think it will ever happen. I love the Mario series, but I would never, ever want to play it on the stupid Wii or Wii U.

Gamecube, Wii, now Wii U? :smh:

I think I've weighed in on this before, but I think this could be the downfall of Nintendo as a hardware company. They are already in some trouble from the 3DS, though that seems to have been picking up a bit (and the Vita certainly isn't a threat right now). Also, unlike Microsoft and Sony, there are no other division at Nintendo to absorb a loss if the WiiU doesn't do well. After picking up a pretty significant market share with ultra casual games on the Wii, they seem to be trying to win back "hardcore gamers" with the WiiU at the expense of their gains in the casual market. Also, the marketing has been horrible, with people being unsure whether this is a new console or just the tablet itself. Launch games look poor, not because of the titles themselves, but because the big third party titles are big name titles that have already been out for months. Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are good gets, but who hasn't played them that still wants to? The first party games will always be good to great, and Ubisoft seems to be putting in some work as well, but without third party games that gamers want to play, success will be hard to achieve. Nintendo has also been way behind Sony and MS in online gaming, so they really need to make progress there as well.

Even moreso than the original. I guess Nintendo has been a niche product for a while now, but still...

Funny, since the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3 by over 25 million units. Gamers don't really take the Wii seriously, but it is far less niche than other consoles.

Funny, since the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3 by over 25 million units. Gamers don't really take the Wii seriously, but it is far less niche than other consoles.

It's most certainly niche in that it caters to non-gamers. Great, it outsold the 360 and PS3. That is a lot of 5 year old kids.

I got a Wii and used it sparingly until I got a Kinnect. Immediately sold the Wii for way more than I thought it was worth (thanks Gamestop). Won't be buying the WiiU and I'm not sure how many people will be buying it since Wii was largely driven by being the first party/motion console.

I agree with redwing's points. I've always been a Nintendo guy, and have owned every console they've ever put out. The WiiU will be the first one I don't care about purchasing at launch and probably won't ever own. I don't really play my Wii very much anymore, and likely the only real use I'll get out of it in the future will be to download Virtual Console titles for games I loved when I was a kid. I doubt I'll ever buy another Wii game.

TW - I would say I disagree with one comment you made: the Super Mario Galaxy games for Wii are incredible. Could easily be argued that they are the two best titles for the whole console.

I agree with redwing's points. I've always been a Nintendo guy, and have owned every console they've ever put out. The WiiU will be the first one I don't care about purchasing at launch and probably won't ever own. I don't really play my Wii very much anymore, and likely the only real use I'll get out of it in the future will be to download Virtual Console titles for games I loved when I was a kid. I doubt I'll ever buy another Wii game.

TW - I would say I disagree with one comment you made: the Super Mario Galaxy games for Wii are incredible. Could easily be argued that they are the two best titles for the whole console.

And pretty high on the list of the best Mario games, IMO.

The SMG games were amazing. I've played both of them through twice. I still use my Wii, but only to finish Skyward Sword which at times has seemed like more of a chore than anything. I also play COD3 still, but the port for the Wii was just awful. Like CDeacMan, I think this will be my last Nintendo console. I just dont feel like dropping the cash for another Nintendo system and having to buy games, accessories, etc all over again. Also, I also think the commercials are really vague and the marketing strategy has been poor in general. I also don't see the idea of tablet-as-controller working out well. It seems to me like you'll have to be constantly looking from the controller to the TV and back again, and to me it just sounds like a disaster.

Bought Skyward Sword and started playing it and stopped and never picked it back up. Definitely seemed like a chore.

the wiiU just seems like too much going on. are you playing on the tv? are you playing on the controller? do all games really need the huge controller? will games be programmed specifically for that stupid controller much like wii games were?

i see this bombing out by late 2013 and nintendo going bye bye

Never cared for the Wii. Ex wife gave me one. I hardly ever played it except to download the 8-bit Punch Out. When we split I gave it to her and never missed it.

Also want to throw in one more time. Resident Evil 4 on the Wii SUCKS! I don't care what anyone says, RE4 was one of my all time fave games, but the controls on the Wii make it horrible.

Back