• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wilmington, NC

ChrisTheDeacm89

Reaction score
What in the world happened here over the past 10-20 years?

My son wanted to move back to NC to be closer to some other relatives, but he loves living close to the water, so he and his wife settled on Wilmington. I thought this was a good move, because most of my memories of making trips to WB and downtown were in the 90's. Still somewhat of a quaint area with a good low cost of living.

Fast forward to today. It took him and his wife forever to find a decent house in a good neighborhood that didn't seem insanely overpriced. Houses that I thought would sell for $300k-$400k, were instead selling for $450k - $700k.

I've seen this all over longer stretches of time with the ebbs and flows of the market (along with the insurance issues) in the Jacksonville, FL area for years now. I just did not expect such a sudden change here.

Did everyone else from the North East (or so it seems) just decide all at once to move to Southeastern NC since COVID?

Fast forward to today. It took him and his wife forever to find a decent house in a good neighborhood that didn't seem insanely overpriced. Houses that I thought would sell for $300k-$400k, were instead selling for $450k - $700k.
Not a Wilmington thing, this is happening nationwide in every somewhat desirable location

Wilmington has been on an upward trajectory for a number of years. I assume covid just accelerated that

Not a Wilmington thing, this is happening nationwide in every somewhat desirable location
I just didn't realize the population had increased so significantly. It feels as if it's doubled in size since the last time I spent any significant amount of time there.

People from the north are finally realizing just how awful their way of life is, but instead of leaving it behind, they're bringing it with them and hanging Buffalo Bills flags on their front porches.

Asheville and wilmington made worse because of the topography. No way to really easily expand the roads. Look at the cluster that is I-26 in Asheville.

Surprisingly real estate in Wilkes is still affordable.

Enjoy the still existing and potentially worse traffic after the roads are expanded!

Induced demand!!

When I lived in Wilmington I lived on the river downtown and drove my car maybe once a week at most. Never had an issue w/traffic!

The apartment I was in sold for ~220k a year after I moved out. I'm sure it's worth upwards of 500k now.

Asheville and wilmington made worse because of the topography. No way to really easily expand the roads. Look at the cluster that is I-26 in Asheville.
Wilmington has roughly the same population as Greenville, NC. However, as noted it togography makes a huge cifference, espccially when there is a 360-degree way in/out for G-Vegas, vs. rougly half of that for a coastal town unless you count coming/going by boat. Add the tourist factor and you've got lots of congestion and rising housing prices.

Back