• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wilmington, NC

Wilmington has roughly the same population as Greenville, NC. However, as noted it togography makes a huge cifference, espccially when there is a 360-degree way in/out for G-Vegas, vs. rougly half of that for a coastal town unless you count coming/going by boat. Add the tourist factor and you've got lots of congestion and rising housing prices.
this is inaccurate unless you're talking about city limits. the wilmington metro area is much larger than greenville

Yeah I spent some time in Greenville about a year ago. There's no way that's anywhere near the same current population as Wilmington.

this is inaccurate unless you're talking about city limits. the wilmington metro area is much larger than greenville
Ehh, 120k vs. 90k, and both comprise about 1/2 their county’s population; so I’ll go with “ similar” instead.

Ehh, 120k vs. 90k, and both comprise about 1/2 their county’s population; so I’ll go with “ similar” instead.
120k? Is this also including the "metro area"?

I didn't even know Leland ever existed until about a month ago. There must be 10-20k easily in that area alone directly across the river. The area outside of Wrightsville Beach used to be lots of farm lands 25 years ago. Now there's shopping centers, tons of residential neighborhoods, and a movie theater.

I would've thought the greater MSA would easily be about 200-250k at this point based upon what I've seen. 120k or slightly less sounds more like what it was in the 90's.

Surprisingly real estate in Wilkes is still affordable.
IMO, just a matter of time before foothills areas like Wilkes are "discovered" by wealthier retirees who find the mountain counties to the west and north getting too crowded or real estate prices too high. If you can't actually live in the mountains then you can do the next-best thing and get a place in the foothills with a good view of them.

467,337 Much more than I thought. I knew it had to be much more than what I expected.

"The Wilmington metro area ranked No. 9 in the U.S. Census Bureau's Top 10 U.S. Metro Areas from July 1, 2022, to July 1, 2023. With a 2.8% population growth, Wilmington metro's population increased from 454,390 to 467,337."

I have 8 places in Wilkes all easily rented, looking to double that as soon as interest rates come down.

Back