• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wiring device into car

dot com

Reaction score
So I have a DVD player headrest, but rather than having a cigarette adapter on the end, it's raw wires (red +12V, black ground). Can I just splice its wires onto another cigarette adapter and use that rather than wiring it directly into the car?

So I have a DVD player headrest, but rather than having a cigarette adapter on the end, it's raw wires (red +12V, black ground). Can I just splice its wires onto another cigarette adapter and use that rather than wiring it directly into the car?

Yes, you can and probably should do it that way. Just find a plug designed for DIY wiring (electronic store, or on line) and wire it up.

If you want to be a bit fancier about it, add an inline fuse on the hot (red wire) side between the plug and your DVD. Size the fuse according to the power draw of the DVD player. May save your DVD player if you have battery/voltage regulator/alternator issues.

Back