• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wondo Lets Down an Entire Nation

Cameron started shaky, but I thought he was very solid from about the 20th minute onwards.

Height. Height. Oh, and his height.

Jurgen likes height? Good thing he's in America. We've got some tall guys here.

Just watched Wondo's miss again for the first time since seeing it live. Even worse than I thought. I thought the keeper had a better bead on it live. No. He basically missed a tap in. If that header had only gone to Clint.

Cameron over Beckerman is not getting as much attention as it should be

Agreed. I said it a few times before and after the game yesterday, I get the thought behind the formation change, but at that point why not have Beckerman anchor your defensive MF.

I think Jurgen probably thought Cameron's size would also be of value, but I think on the whole, Jurgen out thought himself on this one

Jurgen likes height? Good thing he's in America. We've got some tall guys here.

Just watched Wondo's miss again for the first time since seeing it live. Even worse than I thought. I thought the keeper had a better bead on it live. No. He basically missed a tap in. If that header had only gone to Clint.

I meant because Belgium's midfield is full of hosses. Fellaini is 6'4" and Witsel is 6'2" (I think). He needed some size in there to help Bradley and Jones.

Plus, it is possible that Beckerman wasn't testing well on the fitness parts of training and that his body needed a rest after 3 games in, what? 11 days?

Cameron started shaky, but I thought he was very solid from about the 20th minute onwards.

Height. Height. Oh, and his height.

Even though I agree that Cameron played a decent game, I just think with the type of attacking players Belgium has (and the way Belgiums middle were creating chances) Beckerman was a better fit and even if Jurgen didn't want to start him, he should have been brought on in half two to help slow down Belgium

Agreed. I said it a few times before and after the game yesterday, I get the thought behind the formation change, but at that point why not have Beckerman anchor your defensive MF.

I think Jurgen probably thought Cameron's size would also be of value, but I think on the whole, Jurgen out thought himself on this one

Cameron was one of our better performers yesterday, for my money.

Jones was the weak link in our midfield for the first time all WC.

Even though I agree that Cameron played a decent game, I just think with the type of attacking players Belgium has (and the way Belgiums middle were creating chances) Beckerman was a better fit and even if Jurgen didn't want to start him, he should have been brought on in half two to help slow down Belgium

I think Jurgen got one thing tactically wrong... very wrong.

For a long while in the 2nd half he was using Jones to man mark Fellaini all over the pitch. Fellaini wasn't really a threat to us unless it was a set piece. Meanwhile, that took another player away from De Bruyne, who was just carving us apart. If Jurgen wanted to sacrifice a man to marking a Belgian, the it should have been to mark on the guy actually opening up our defense and not the tall donkey that has the first touch of an anvil.

I think Jurgen got one thing tactically wrong... very wrong.

For a long while in the 2nd half he was using Jones to man mark Fellaini all over the pitch. Fellaini wasn't really a threat to us unless it was a set piece. Meanwhile, that took another player away from De Bruyne, who was just carving us apart. If Jurgen wanted to sacrifice a man to marking a Belgian, the it should have been to mark on the guy actually opening up our defense and not the tall donkey that has the first touch of an anvil.

Or until later in the match when Jones was tired and Felliani actually started moving up the field. He sat back a lot and Jones followed him around the attacking third a lot. Completely agree, there was no reason to pay as much attention to Felliani as we did. Though we did effectively bottle up Hazard which I didn't think was technically possible on this squad.

Wondo didn't let down an entire nation. Our anemic offense did. USA ranked 31st out of the 32 teams in attack opportunities. Klinsmann knew the only way for us to beat Belgium was to attack more and we saw very little of that yesterday. Against Belgium we only took 5 shots on goal compared to their 17. Thanks god Howard had a massive game or the final score wouldn't have been as close as it was.

Landon Donovan agrees with you.

The question I have, though, is whether Landon would have found himself in the same spot as Wondo? Wondo is a poacher, Landon is a creator. I'm just not sure he's standing in that spot at the moment.

For sure, though, if he was there. We'd be playing Argentina on Saturday.

Bacon should have been the sub, not that shite Wondo.

When even the Captain America's on here decide to use him as a derogatory comparison to Chicharito, you know that nobody rates him. He's garbage.

The question I have, though, is whether Landon would have found himself in the same spot as Wondo? Wondo is a poacher, Landon is a creator. I'm just not sure he's standing in that spot at the moment.

I was referring to these recent comments by Landon, where he says Klinsmann did not put the team in a position to succeed.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/world-cup-2014-landon-donovan-jurgen-klinsmann-usa

Bacon should have been the sub, not that shite Wondo.

When even the Captain America's on here decide to use him as a derogatory comparison to Chicharito, you know that nobody rates him. He's garbage.

Just announced today that Bacon is going under the knife for ankle surgery. Details unknown, but that could be why we saw Wondo over Bacon.

Just announced today that Bacon is going under the knife for ankle surgery. Details unknown, but that could be why we saw Wondo over Bacon.

More understandable for that game then, yes. But he never should have been in Brazil, That's on Jurgen.

More understandable for that game then, yes. But he never should have been in Brazil, That's on Jurgen.

I'm guessing (hoping?) that its from something in the Ghana game or training after the game. Otherwise, yeah, that's another very puzzling piece in an already questionable roster selection.

I'd feel pretty confident about Landon showing up in the right spot at the right time in the 90+ minute of a World Cup match

I'm not 100% sure what the role of a poacher is but I'm guessing you are expected to put an eight foot gimme in the back of an empty net. The guy had no business being on the field in a knockout game.

Jones starting running out of gas vs Germany. It carried over to Belgium.

Cameron had a pretty good game. He was put in there to help in the air, and he did that well. Beckerman had an excellent WC but his absence, again, was not the problem.

Back