• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Work Commute

How much commute it too much?

• 10 min or les

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • 15 min

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • 20 min

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 30 min

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • 45 min

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • 1 hr plus

Votes: 20 20.4%

• Total voters

elquintodeac

Reaction score
So far in my work life, I've not lived more than a 15 minute drive from where I've worked. I've taken a new job and its looking like it will be at least a 30 min commute as there isn't much out by the company and that's where the more desirable living area for me is. However, I think the drive in the morning and evenings will mostly be against the flow of traffic.

My question is, how much commute is too much?

Edited to add: speaking of work I had to go do some before I could get the poll up. Whoops.

Last edited:
Depends on the person. I've known people to have a 2 hour each way commute. I think that's ridiculous. When I was in the DC area I lived 6 miles from my church, took about an hour each way with traffic. Current church in Gboro is 1 mile from home and takes about 4 minutes. Obviously, the current is better, though there is less time to get caught up on NPR.

Personally, I'd keep it under an hour, but it depends on fuel economy of your vehicle, family situation, hours that you have to work, chances that you'd have to come in on short notice, etc.

Mine's usually 15-20 mins. Some times it gets to 30 mins in the afternoons. I think 30 mins is my breaking point.

Mine is 22 miles each way, and takes about 30 minutes. I'd say keeping it under an hour is a good rule of thumb. I'd hate to think I'd be wasting more than 2 hours a day in traffic.

Mine is 25 miles one-way (30 minutes) against the flow of traffic. Its about as long as I'd do it. Trying to move closer, but its not too bad.

I listen to alot of NPR, make phone calls, and listen to Books On Tape. Sometimes the drive is a good way to be alone with my thoughts.

I commuted for at least 1 hour (highway driving) for about 2 years....it gets old quick... I would say 40 minutes is about as much as I could take on a consistent basis. I'm also a contractor, so my clients switch around a lot....

My commute is 20-25 minutes on average. I could personally tolerate up to 45 minutes each way. I'd rather drive more miles in lighter traffic, than taking the same length of time stuck in heavy traffic.

Mine is about 35 minutes in the morning and about 45 in the evening going home. No way I could do any more than I do currently.

45min is where I'd go crazy.

I have a 33.5 mile commute one way. It's mostly highway and there is next to no traffic (unless there's a wreck or something). Doorstep to Doorstep it takes me 34-36 minutes in the morning and closer to 40 in the afternoon assuming no unusual traffic. I don't know if I could/would tolerate much more of a commute

My last 2 years in the ATL I chose to work 10am - 7pm in order to keep my commute between 45 min to a hour (I lived 21 miles from work). On the one day each week I needed to be in the office from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, my drive took 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Never again! My Triangle commute now is 20 minutes & I'm traveling 15 miles.

I've found that it does make a difference whether you're actually moving on your drive or if it is stop & go traffic the whole way. I can tolerate a longer drive time if I'm moving at a decent speed.

did 35-40 for about 2 years before and really hated it after awhile, especially when snowy days turned it into an hr plus. i think i'd cap it at 20-40 on a bad day if i could.

Buncha HADERS.

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit that, after a day of taking care of my clients' problems, I enjoy sitting alone and listening to music or NPR.

And I bet all of you do. Stop hatin'.

My question is, how much commute is too much?

Wilmington, NC to Jacksonville, NC is definitely too much...did that for ~2 years and it was terrible...took on average about 1:10 each way. Luckily my company moved to Castle Hayne, NC so now my commute is around 20 minutes.

I will add, I tolerated an hour commute on the DC Metro (Glenmont to Rosslyn; drive to Glenmont and then walk from Rosslyn). Not driving made a big difference for me, but it was only 2-3 days a week for a summer internship. I wouldn't want that every day, but being able to sit and read was pleasant.

I agree with ellis.... kind of nice to have some time to either listen to the radio, make some calls, etc... I currently drive 20-25 minutes against traffic both ways. I actually prefer this ride compared to the 10-12 minute drive my wife has to work because I don't deal with the crazy people in traffic.

Plus, you've got a guaranteed 20 min in the afternoon to make calls to catch up with family, friends, etc.

Speakin of, Substar I owe you a phone call soon.

Listening to music or making phone calls while drinking a beer in your house or from your back porch > listening to music or making phone calls while guzzling expensive gas and watching soccer moms slam on their brakes at every yellow light.

Back