• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you support a ban of the sale and possession of all firearms in the USA?

??

• Total voters
Honestly, I'd prefer to let people keep them for hunting/sporting purposes (given adequate insurance, background checks, and very stiff penalties for breaking ownership/licensing laws), but if it's all or nothing, then nothing is the clear option. Too much blood from too many innocents has been shed by these weapons.

Yeah, sure. I don't own a gun and will never own a gun. Hell, I've only fired a gun once in my life (retiring as a 100% skeet shooter baby!)

I don't begrudge other people for owning guns but seeing as I can only be on the wrong end of one I might as well say yes.

All? No.

Do we need more gun regulation than we have now? Absolutely.

I'd ban them all but have provisions permitting ownership for hunting purposes. If the choice is ban all firearms or don't, even with the caveat for hunting purposes, I still choose ban all firearms.

all firearms? no, sorry.

handguns and automatic weapons? yes.

This is pretty much where I am. I don't own a gun but know many who do and who love to shoot on weekends. And rifles and shotguns can be very important to rural folks for hunting, protection from wild animals and getting rid of poisonous snakes. Hell, if you're rural and poor, deer and other wild animals are often your biggest source of protein, something we college educated city and suburbs dwellers have never experienced. But OTOH, y'all would be surprised how easy it is to get automatic and more exotic weapons in VA for the payment of a registration fee as long as you pass a criminal background check. And while shooting handguns at a range may be stress reducing to some folks, handguns are pretty much only for target practice and killing people. You don't hunt with handguns or kill snakes with handguns unless that's the only firearm within reach. So I like what I perceive Australia's solution to have been. No automatics, rifles and shotguns are okay, and handguns have to be kept at your shooting range.

That said, that's pie in the sky in this country. And I'd settle for some mental health and other small restrictions designed to prevent criminals and folks with mental health issues from owning. It'd be a start, and maybe it wouldn't have stopped the guy today, but those type of restrictions may have stopped Cho from obtaining a couple of handguns so easily and legally.

You can ban them all that there would still be some set asides for legal firearms usage allowed in the US. I would guess that Townie had that in mind.

Majority of people voting on this thread so far support a full ban. That should give a very clear picture of the HEAVY left lean of OGBoards.

This is pretty much where I am. I don't own a gun but know many who do and who love to shoot on weekends. And rifles and shotguns can be very important to rural folks for hunting, protection from wild animals and getting rid of poisonous snakes. Hell, if you're rural and poor, deer and other wild animals are often your biggest source of protein, something we college educated city and suburbs dwellers have never experienced. But OTOH, y'all would be surprised how easy it is to get automatic and more exotic weapons in VA for the payment of a registration fee as long as you pass a criminal background check. And while shooting handguns at a range may be stress reducing to some folks, handguns are pretty much only for target practice and killing people. You don't hunt with handguns or kill snakes with handguns unless that's the only firearm within reach. So I like what I perceive Australia's solution to have been. No automatics, rifles and shotguns are okay, and handguns have to be kept at your shooting range.

That said, that's pie in the sky in this country. And I'd settle for some mental health and other small restrictions designed to prevent criminals and folks with mental health issues from owning. It'd be a start, and maybe it wouldn't have stopped the guy today, but those type of restrictions may have stopped Cho from obtaining a couple of handguns so easily and legally.

I'm not much swayed by these "rural safety/food" arguments to be honest. What a tiny portion of the population this describes, and how few use cases. One big meh from me. And this comes from someone with a huge extended family in rural bumfuck Michigan, Florida, and Texas.

You can ban them all that there would still be some set asides for legal firearms usage allowed in the US. I would guess that Townie had that in mind.

I don't know what he had in mind, but that is not what he wrote. He wrote "Would you support a ban on all firearms?" He did not ask "Would you support a ban on most fire arms?" or "Would you support ban on all firearms if the only alternative was no ban on any firearms?" (yet some seem to have read it that way as well)

"Yes" to that question is a pretty extreme position on gun control, not just in this country but likely in most countries.

Don't really care about the politics. I, for one, am done caring about the delicate political sensibilities of gun owners.

Even a repeal of the 2nd Amendment wouldn't lead to a ban of the sale and possession of all firearms in the USA.

Back