• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Year Round School

Have them work after school? I did that throughout high school very effectively.

I worked construction after school and over the summers. Doesn't take too many hours to know you don't want to do that.

It's definitely possible, I think just harder. I worked year round in HS but in the summers I could work full days/any schedule. It would be a little more difficult for employers to work out full days for HS students with somewhat more sporadic breaks rather than 3 straight months off. Not impossible but a little harder.

I got school credit for my high school job, I got to leave school at noon and go to work, that type of set up could allow students to continue to have jobs.

I worked one day a week plus weekends in non-sport season and still had plenty of time to do schoolwork and go out. Probably could've worked more if I needed to, really just did it so I wasn't completely bored and gave me some poker money.

Although looking back I have no idea how I'd go out Friday, work 6A-7P Saturday, then go out Saturday, then wake up early for a 3+ hr baseball camp Sunday.

Yeah I did that too, but working in 4-hour blocks is a different experience than working a 12-hour day 6 days per week.

Work a 12 hour day on Saturday and Sunday, then. I did that quite a few weekends.

Seriously, how many high school kids get 12 hour per day jobs in the summer? We are in the vast minority.

Well it will be a non-existant minority if school is year round. It is a main reason why the younger generations are pussies and this country is fucked.

Well it will be a non-existant minority if school is year round. It is a main reason why the younger generations are pussies and this country is fucked.

The country would be fucked if we abandoned an agrarian school calendar (NB: we haven't had an agriculture-dominated economy for a century)? Are you fucking serious? The number one thing we have to do is generate human capital for future generations, not have them doing menial labor. Get a fucking clue.

The country is fucked because our kids suck at math and science. Not saying YRS is the answer, but neither is some misguided, pseudo-nostalgic notion that 12-hour work days over summer vacation are right for everyone.

I taught a modified year round calendar back in the day. Chicago has two tracks, one that starts after labor day and one that starts four weeks earlier. Both get out the same day for the summer, but get two weeks off in the fall, an extra week off for winter break (three total), and an extra week off for spring break (two total). Most teachers prefer the modified year round calendar.

As for free and reduced lunch kids, parks and other social service programs provide breakfast and lunch during the track out times, just like they do during the summer.

The country would be fucked if we abandoned an agrarian school calendar (NB: we haven't had an agriculture-dominated economy for a century)? Are you fucking serious? The number one thing we have to do is generate human capital for future generations, not have them doing menial labor. Get a fucking clue.

My fucking clue tells me that simply switching to YRS is not going to fix a damn thing with regard to our human capital. So not only will we continue to suck ass at math/science, but we won't have anybody with any work ethic for menial labor. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

Everyone I have talked to that was in a year round program swears by the learning side of this set-up, but at the same time most agree it does not mesh well with other “normal” activities for families ( traveling with family, sports, camps, summer programs).

My fucking clue tells me that simply switching to YRS is not going to fix a damn thing with regard to our human capital. So not only will we continue to suck ass at math/science, but we won't have anybody with any work ethic for menial labor. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

As a HS teacher, I would prefer the year round schedule. Teaching is not easy and we do get burn out after awhile. Throwing in more breaks would help to alleviate that. Same goes for students. Also, as already mentioned, less time spent relearning previous material is a plus. For at-risk students and schools, year round would also keep many kids out of trouble during the summer and give them some structure to their lives.

One obstacle I have heard concern over is athletics. Most of the people who post here don't see high school football/basketball as a big deal, but reality is these sports are a big deal in many communities and they drive a lot of decision making (mainly football). For many kids, their only ride to school is the bus. The only way they can play sports is because they are already at school. Their only ride home is an after school shuttle that takes athletes home after practice. These shuttles don't run in the summer now. If you go to year round, you will have to run the buses a lot more and pay drivers more for the increased hours. So it becomes a budget issue.

I don't think this a reason to avoid YRS, simply one obstacle I hear from other teachers and coaches.

Everyone I have talked to that was in a year round program swears by the learning side of this set-up, but at the same time most agree it does not mesh well with other “normal” activities for families ( traveling with family, sports, camps, summer programs).

The bold is why I don't think we will see it become widespread anytime soon. Traveling with family can be adjusted to fit the school schedule, but it may not be possible for the parents to change their schedule.

As a HS teacher, I would prefer the year round schedule. Teaching is not easy and we do get burn out after awhile. Throwing in more breaks would help to alleviate that. Same goes for students. Also, as already mentioned, less time spent relearning previous material is a plus. For at-risk students and schools, year round would also keep many kids out of trouble during the summer and give them some structure to their lives.

One obstacle I have heard concern over is athletics. Most of the people who post here don't see high school football/basketball as a big deal, but reality is these sports are a big deal in many communities and they drive a lot of decision making (mainly football). For many kids, their only ride to school is the bus. The only way they can play sports is because they are already at school. Their only ride home is an after school shuttle that takes athletes home after practice. These shuttles don't run in the summer now. If you go to year round, you will have to run the buses a lot more and pay drivers more for the increased hours. So it becomes a budget issue.

I don't think this a reason to avoid YRS, simply one obstacle I hear from other teachers and coaches.

Out of curiousity, how does training camp work?

Back