• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your Choice for Next Head Basketball Coach at Wake Forest University?

Your Choice for Next Head Basketball Coach at Wake Forest University?

• Shaka Smart

Votes: 197 80.1%
  • Ben Howland

Votes: 49 19.9%
  • Tommy Amaker

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Gregg Marshall

Votes: 75 30.5%
  • Steve Masiello

Votes: 34 13.8%
  • Archie Miller

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • Tim Miles

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Mike White

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Pat Kelsey

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Others (Write In Reply)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

Brendan207

Reaction score
Wanted to start this poll to get an idea of who the boards wanted to be the next head basketball coach at Wake Forest. This poll isn't who you think will end up as the head coach, it is just who you'd WANT. You can vote for multiple candidates. If one of your preferred candidates isn't listed just reply with their names below.

Others:

Jay Wright (2)
Fred Swagberg (1)
Sean Miller (1)

Last edited:
The 5 guys on that list I really like are Shaka, Howland, Marshall, Masiello, and Archie. I also voted "other" because an unexpected choice like Jay Wright would be awesome too.

The 5 guys on that list I really like are Shaka, Howland, Marshall, Masiello, and Archie. I also voted "other" because an unexpected choice like Jay Wright would be awesome too.

It would be awesome if we could pry Jay Wright away from Villanova. He's apparently making $2.29M per year already. Smart is probably the highest on our list at a reported $1.5M per year. Howland reportedly made $2.3M a year before getting canned.

For comparative purposes I wonder how much Buzz made last season (and how much Dino and Skip made in their final seasons). It seems like a real possibility that RW's next hire might be our highest paid basketball coach of all time.

Well the thing that will be great about this poll is that the AD will look at it and find who we like more than others and then they'll hire the person with the least votes.

I voted for all of them. They all seem swell.

1) Shaka
2) Marshall
3) Howland

And if we don't get one of those three; there will be one, and only one, reason why. His name is Ron Wellman.

We know that Howland is interested. Marshall has basically said that he is interested at the right price. There is no reason, other than our AD, not to bring home one of those three.

I voted Marshall. Looking at Wichita State's recruiting over the last four years and then watching Marshall's team against five future NBA players yesterday, you'd have to conclude that he is one of the greatest coaches in the game. You could also conclude that he can't recruit, though.

Recruiting is the single most important aspect of college athletics.

I voted Marshall. Looking at Wichita State's recruiting over the last four years and then watching Marshall's team against five future NBA players yesterday, you'd have to conclude that he is one of the greatest coaches in the game. You could also conclude that he can't recruit, though.

Did he recruit Early? Because he was a beast.

Archie Miller just extended his contract with Dayton through 2019.

Archie Miller just extended his contract with Dayton through 2019.

Someone was saying that extension actually happened early in the season, and the coach just wanted to wait to announce it after the season so it wouldn't be a distraction? But now they announced it because there is so much talk of Dayton's run and the coaches popularity.

The Archie Miller > Howland stuff is truly baffling. If we didn't have some serious potential candidates on our list, then yeah, sure, Archie Miller could be a neat get. But Dayton beat two teams that were guaranteed to flame out early in the NCAAs.

The Archie Miller > Howland stuff is truly baffling. If we didn't have some serious potential candidates on our list, then yeah, sure, Archie Miller could be a neat get. But Dayton beat two teams that were guaranteed to flame out early in the NCAAs.

NCAA Tournament wins (and especially Cinderella runs) seem to always get weighted really heavily during coaching searches.

1)Shaka
2)Marshall
3)Howland

Go big or go home... or in Wellman's case instead of going home, you hire some guy like Jeff [Redacted].

Thank you.

Who would you guys say is the best pure recruiter on the list? Because that's who I would want....

Looks like 6 people want Amaker. Sounds like enough to convince RW.

I voted for all of them. They all seem swell.

Someone needs to break into Wellmans home a threaten to melt his brain if he doesn't hire Shaka.

images

#density

Back