• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your Worst Sports-Related Injury

Broken nose (2x), cracked vertebrae, broken thumb -- hoops
Broken nose (2x), 3 fractured ribs, torn mcl, torn hamstring, cracked shin -- soccer
Torn hamstring -- flag football

Sheesh, until writing it out, I didn't realize how injury prone I am.

I tore the labrum in my left shoulder after dislocating it playing flag football. Don't know if it tore on the innitial injury or the 12-15 times it popped out after that that did it in, but it was pretty shot by the time I had surgery.

I also had a pretty funny (not at the time) injury where I got my finger stuck in an escalator in the Tampa airport on spring break with my family my 8th grade year. About tore my middle finger off but luckily nothing really resulted from it. Except that I played half that golf season with a splint on my finger, making it so that every swing I took I was flicking everyone around me off. Other than that I've been pretty lucky, never broke any bones and really only had sprained ankles.

I've never had a significant injury other than a whole lot of badly sprained ankles in HS wrestling and college IMs. Post college I pulled both groin muscles in an adult rec flag football league. I was hobbling for at least 6 weeks. Reading this thread has convinced me that my general incompetence at organized sports has saved me a lot of pain and suffering.

Broken leg - high school football
Dislocated left pinkie - high school hoops (reinjured a few months ago playing hoops)

Add me to the list of Reynolds Gym ACL tears.

Mine tore to shreds in a C league intramural game. I was on a fast break and planted to pull up for a jumper and my knee bent sideways. I knew it was messed up, but it wasn't diagnosed as an ACL tear for six months. I worked the summer at Camp Sea Gull on the coast, playing ultimate, playing basketball, all on one ACL. My knee would give every now and then, but it wasn't too bad. I had one of the docs take a look at it, and he said I had no ACL and needed to get it fixed pronto. Rehab sucked.

Also bulged a disc in my back wakeboarding. I got out of the water and couldn't stand up straight. My back was cramped into an S curve, with my hips a good 2 inches left of my shoulders. I still have to be careful with it.

ACL left - ultimate
ACL right - hoops
dislocated shoulder - ultimate
broken fifth metatarsal - hoops
pulled hammy - intercourse
strained under tongue thingy - cunnilingus

I believe Tyler Durden calls this Sport Fucking.

Badly sprained ankle in HS Bball that made me miss 1/3 of my senior year

Dislocated left shoulder snow skiing in Vermont in college.

Have popped that shoulder out probably 10-12 times since then. I can pop it back in myself now. Good times.

This 4th of July weekend I popped my left eardrum and bruised some ribs taking a hot digger to the earhole on the Wakeboard. I am old.

Apetit and I nearly saw someone impale themselves on a metal stake diving for a catch in flag football.

I tore my MCL and meniscus getting horse-collared in football junior year of high school

I forgot that I broke my wrist trying to block a breakaway layup in a rec league game when my team was down 35 points. Pride is a bitch.

Concussion - soccer
broken pinky - hockey
herniated disc in lower back - golf followed by a couple hours of basketball
Those are the only significant sports injuries I've had, so I guess I'm doing ok.

Good thing the death panels were written out of Obamacare. It would have been touch and go.

Actually seen many on the court with kids flying everywhere, getting undercut, flipped and knocked out. Pretty scary stuff these days with as high as they get and as fast as they go.

Two years ago one of my partners in stripes [now gray shirts in high school] got totally wiped out on the side lines at East Forsyth by a kid trying to save a loose ball going out of bounds. Totally blindsided, crashed into the bleachers, knocked unconscious and broke several ribs & collapsed lung. Eyes rolled back in his head. Scary moments for all of us. Luckily came back to offiiate this year.

Actually seen many on the court with kids flying everywhere, getting undercut, flipped and knocked out. Pretty scary stuff these days with as high as they get and as fast as they go.

Two years ago one of my partners in stripes [now gray shirts in high school] got totally wiped out on the side lines at East Forsyth by a kid trying to save a loose ball going out of bounds. Totally blindsided, crashed into the bleachers, knocked unconscious and broke several ribs & collapsed lung. Eyes rolled back in his head. Scary moments for all of us. Luckily came back to offiiate this year.

How do you get blindsided like that as a ref? I've never been run into at all and have reffed for four years. Aren't you always watching the ball?

How do you get blindsided like that as a ref? I've never been run into at all and have reffed for four years. Aren't you always watching the ball?

No, there are 3 refs doing basketball and only 1 is supposed to be watching the ball. The other 2 officials are supposed to be watching their areas "off the ball". That is the problem with younger officials in that they are "ball watchers" and are looking at their third of the court, catching all the off the ball stuff that goes on like illegal picks and all the cheap stuff that players get away with in games.

In this case, we were on a fast break and a pass was throw from the base line up to mid court area. My partner was running up the side line catching up to the play when one of the defenders came out of nowhere to try & make a steal. He flew into the air for the ball and slammed into my partner who never saw him. He was slammed into the bleachers.

As a side note, if you ref football, many side line guys get rolled from running backs or defensive backs who come flying at them. Umpires are behind the linebackers and get hit all the time by linemen & running backs & have to fend off blockers. There are 5, 6 or 7 football officials on a field and maybe only 2 of them are ever watching the football. They are all watching their given areas for stuff. Basketball "should" be the same way as the court is basically divided into thrids and each official moves and has an area.

Clinical depression after the WVU 3OT loss in March 2005.

Still in therapy.

Back