• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNLV football wants to build a mini Jerry World

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
unlvfield.png

unlvexterior.png

UNLV officials revealed plans for a new 60,000-seat stadium on Friday -- UNLV's average attendance in seven home games this season was 15,208 -- and it's a doozy. The stadium would include a 100-yard-long video screen.

"This project is a game changer for UNLV and Las Vegas," said Don Snyder, who is in charge of the stadium project dubbed UNLV Now. "It's an important and significant project for the state as well. It's the next big thing."

Obviously, if built, the stadium projected to cost $800 million to build will be used for more than hosting UNLV home games. Much like Cowboys Stadium the goal would be to host other football games, including a possible Mountain West Conference Championship Game should the conference expand to 12 teams. It's also possible a new bowl game will be held at the stadium.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...lv-is-thinking-big-with-plans-for-new-stadium

Would almost definitely help with recruiting, but $800 million is a lot to spend on a mediocre football program. But I can see why they'd wanna do it.

A big screen on one side of the stadium rather than hanging over the field makes a lot more sense than Jerry World to me, even if you do basically eliminate a ton of potential seats on one side of the field. I hate Jerry World for a host of reasons, and the abomination of a screen is one of them.

If I was a Nevada tax payer I would be absolutely furious if this thing gets funded.

Where does Vegas host events that hold over 40K now? I'm sure it would replace Thomas & Mack for events as well.

This is going to be hilarious in ten years when Lake Mead dries up

This is going to be hilarious in ten years when Lake Mead dries up

Yup

A 2008 paper in Water Resources Research states that at current usage allocation and projected climate trends, there is a 50% chance that live storage in lakes Mead and Powell will be gone by 2021, and that the reservoir could drop below minimum power pool elevation of 1,050 feet (320 m) as early as 2017. Lake volume is now at the mercy of a cascade of forces that include the fact that it is very likely impossible that the prevailing climate pattern of profound drought will or can change to precipitation surcharge in a time frame shorter than that in which the lake level will fall below the dead storage level of the downstream diversion and hydro-power intake tunnels.

If I was a Nevada tax payer I would be absolutely furious if this thing gets funded.

FWIW, Nevada doesn't have individual or state income tax. They get most of their tax revenue from tourists.

Holy shit, is there anything they can do, or are trying to do about the lakes drying up? That could cause a significant problem......no sure this is the thread for this, but....

There's been a similar problem here in Southern California. The Salton Sea is drying up at a rapid pace. Nobody cares about the Salton Sea, it's no longer a recreation destination, but it is possibly one of the most polluted bodies of water in America. It has agricultal run off from the US dumping into it, and one of the most polluted rivers in the world dumping into it. The New River runs up from Mexico and dumps sewage, industrial waste, and agricultural waste into the Salton Sea. Even though nobody cares about the Salton Sea, the issue is as the water dries up it sends horrifically toxic dust storms into the Imperial Valley and Palm Springs. It's a big big problem that has yet to be answered...

There are water problems everywhere. Peeps need to start working on cheaper methods of desalinization.

There are water problems everywhere. Peeps need to start working on cheaper methods of desalinization.

Our desalinization technology is still woefully inadequate and power hungry. There needs to be a stop gap in the next 10-15 years until advanced in materials science can be made.

That's an incredibly stupid and tacky looking building. Guess it's perfect for Vegas.

FWIW, Nevada doesn't have individual or state income tax. They get most of their tax revenue from tourists.

Well, then I guess I wouldn't care.

Also, I am moving to Nevada.

Back