• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US AM

simosfrostyone

Reaction score
Was watching some of this at The Country Club (sweet golf course) and wondering--was Bill Haas the last Deac to qualify for match play in a US Am? It used to be we had a player to follow almost every year. Do our guys even try to qualify any more? Or do they just not make it past the sectionals? Or is match play not our thing any more?

Lee Bedford made match in 2011
Simpson and Gielow in 2007
Simpson in 2006

The Country Club is an amazing place. I still insist they should have hosted the US Open this year.

Smallest greens in championship golf other than Pebble Beach.

To me it looks even better than when they hosted the Ryder Cup. Looks like they took down a ton of trees and you can really see the course better.

The OP is almost as stupid as the "why can't we win the ACC championship every year like in the 1970s" annual thread

Was watching some of this at The Country Club (sweet golf course) and wondering--was Bill Haas the last Deac to qualify for match play in a US Am? It used to be we had a player to follow almost every year. Do our guys even try to qualify any more? Or do they just not make it past the sectionals? Or is match play not our thing any more?

You said it, man. And to add to that, why do we only have 3 players in this week's tournament? That is shameful. In the 1970s, we had 42 Wake players in every PGA Tour event. And they all won.

Wow, it was just a question about not having a presence in the Am.
Some people are pretty defensive, it would seem.

Certain poster qualified and played in 05, don't know why karma is hating on his boy.

Certain poster qualified and played in 05, don't know why karma is hating on his boy.

Because the OP asked for players that made it through the first 36 holes into stroke play. My boy decided to try putting with a live rattlesnake for his final nine holes in 2005 and missed match play. ;)

Edited to add that I'd kill just to qualify for one USGA event. Thank goodness they are adding a USGA fourball event in 2014 so I can ride a hot player to an appearance!

The Country Club is an amazing place. I still insist they should have hosted the US Open this year.

Smallest greens in championship golf other than Pebble Beach.

I was told by a Rules Official who was there this week that the Club was offered the Open and turned it down.

I was told by a Rules Official who was there this week that the Club was offered the Open and turned it down.

From former USGA Director David Fay:

That's a sensitive subject. Some members of The Country Club regarded the 2013 Open as a foregone conclusion, a birthright. I like The Country Club, but I think the composite course is the most overrated of America's great courses, if that makes any sense. I love the members' course, and I think the drive up to the clubhouse is one of the most charming in the world, but I didn't--and don't--see it as a good U.S. Open site. My views were formed during the 1988 Open and the 1999 Ryder Cup. I thought there were too many weak and indifferent holes on the course and too many spectator bottlenecks.

“Maybe someday The Country Club will come up with a new composite layout. I hope so, because it would be fun for the Open to return to New England. Remember this: When it comes to selecting US Open sites, the importance of having a prominent USGA insider as a strong advocate can’t be overstated. It can be the staff leader, or it can be a volunteer member of the executive committee.

“But the advocates have to be persuasive and committed. The Country Club had no strong USGA insiders as advocates at decision time in 2006. If there had been, I believe the Open would be in Brookline this year.”

There were no representatives from New England on the USGA’s 15-person executive committee in 2006, much less from The Country Club.

I played out there 2 years ago and the members I had a chance to speak to were all very disappointed they didn't get a US Open, but were excited that they at least got the US Amateur.

The 50th anniversary of Ouimet's win (1963) saw the Open at TCC.
The 75th anniversary (1988) was at TCC.

This should have been a slam dunk decision for the USGA.

Back