• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SI Article on Brian's Song

BarcaDeac

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...brians.song/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a4

It is unclear why -- or even if -- men had tear ducts prior to 1971, for none had ever wept in public, though Walter Cronkite famously came close, removing his glasses in 1963 to announce the death of President Kennedy.

So it was a watershed event in every sense of the phrase when ABC aired its "Tuesday Night Movie of the Week" on November 30, 1971, and men failed to blink back tears in front of their wives and children and even each other for the first time in human history.

Forty years ago tonight, at 8:30 Eastern time, half of all television sets in use in America were tuned to the premier of Brian's Song, a 90-minute made-for-TV film about the brief, unlikely friendship between Chicago Bears' teammates Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers.

Good read. Don't think I've ever not cried during that movie... the worst of it is always "I love Brian Piccolo. And tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him."

One night (probably in 1975/76) I was 'studying' in the large reading room on the ground floor of the Wake Library. On a usual night there were about 100 people there.
At one point, the theme song from 'Brian's Song' was heard softly, but clearly, coming from the stacks. Everyone heard it, looked up and looked around at each other. A few may have hummed along with it. It was strange, but definitley a bonding moment for everyone in the that room.
Never found out where the music came from and I never heard it again in the library. or 76Ne

How the Piccolo videos were not integrated as inspiration on a new $7 million video board, is anyone's guess. I can only assume copyright issues.

How the Piccolo videos were not integrated as inspiration on a new $7 million video board, is anyone's guess. I can only assume copyright issues.

I've heard that we are going to be showing Brian's Song on the video board this spring.

I have four NFL replica jerseys: two Piccolos, one Sayers, and one Payton. Bear pride.

I still contend that Brian Piccolo is the only player (D1 or otherwise) who has had both his college and professional number retired- completely removed from availability on the roster- not just "honored." If there's another, I have not been able to find him.

Traci was 89 grad and Lori was 87 grad. They were both back at homecoming for the Fidele 50 year reunion.

http://home.comcast.net/~ladeaton01/piccolopage.html

(My personal tribute to Brian, who sat to my immediate left in Senor Delgado's Spanish class at WFU for two years.)

The quality of this board has just increased several fold. Glad you're here, Deaton. Stay a while.

+1. I love going to your website Deaton, and I'm glad you found your way over.

I'm a grown ass man, and I can proudly say I still cry every time I watch Brian's Song. Sometimes you just cant fight nature.

Back