• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF BBall Plus/Minus Ratings

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
We're back.

Points Scored/40: Average points scored per 40 minutes when player is on the court

Points Allowed/40:
: Average points allowed per 40 minutes when player is on court

Raw +/-: Total point differential when player is on court.

Adjusted +/-: Point differential by minute when the player is on the court minus point differential by minute when player is off court. Formulated on a game-by-game basis, then averaged and extrapolated to forty minutes. Attempts to account for strength of opponent and minutes played. The best measure (imo)

12-11-2011.png

Last edited:
There must have been some sort of miscalculation there.

How are you doing that?

Glad to see this image avoided the "dumbstuff" folder on photobucket.

Never with something of this importance.

Doing it by game (as opposed to just totaling the entire seasons worth of number) should do that. So getting outscored by 10 points when a player is in the game wouldn't necessarily be a negative if we did even worse when he was on the bench.

The methodology for each game is to take on-court +/- divide by minutes played to get on-court +/- per minute. Then do the same thing with off-court +/- and minutes on the bench. The difference between the two is the the +/- rating for that game. Then I averaged the individual game ratings and multiplied by forty.

No mistake with Nikita. We've done better when he's on the court -- mostly due to a lack of competent backups and how poorly Green (and Godwin, who I didn't include) have played. The old "he might be terrible, but his backups are super terrible" phenomenon.

Last edited:
Geez Carson. 21 points worse than Nikita?

This justifies Fields over TC as well.

I didn't realize Green would be so low. I know he limits us offensively, but I hadn't anecdotally noticed such a drop off when we was in the game, especially defensively.

I like this stat a lot although I know plenty don't. Ran into it in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch two years ago as the beat writer there provides it in SLU game wrapups. I'd like to see it become a regular part of box scores, or at least individual player stats.

I didn't realize Green would be so low. I know he limits us offensively, but I hadn't anecdotally noticed such a drop off when we was in the game, especially defensively.

Well he doesn't play much and he may be playing in some of the uglier lineups.

Soon there will be no sport, just fantasy league numbers.

Well he doesn't play much and he may be playing in some of the uglier lineups.

That makes this stat kind of useless for players that don't play a lot. If you are a scrub and only play with other scrubs, your +/- is not going to be good.

That makes this stat kind of useless for players that don't play a lot. If you are a scrub and only play with other scrubs, your +/- is not going to be good.

I don't think that happens particularly often, though. You'll occasionally see something like UNC's blue team, but most of the time subs come in distributed fairly evenly among players at other positions. It's not like what you see in hockey with different lines.

FYI, I pull the initial data from statsheet, where you can find some more granular raw numbers, as well.

Thanks very much for posting that. Statistical evidence to confirm what our eyes are seeing on the court: Wake has 2 high major quality basketball players.

Back