• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake RPI/SOS

Deac83

Reaction score
FWIW, after yesterday we broke 100 in the RPI at #90.

The most interesting part is our SOS is #68, which really contradicts the general opinion of our schedule. Our SOS went from around 120 to 68 with the VT game.

RPI

These numbers could get us to the NIT bubble (with quite a few ACC wins).

And before a lot of people just say 'no way', it's sure a lot more fun to discuss this than a lot of other topics from the last year and a half.

The most interesting part is our SOS is #68, which really contradicts the general opinion of our schedule. Our SOS went from around 120 to 68 with the VT game.

RPI

These numbers could get us to the NCAA bubble (with quite a few ACC wins).

And before a lot of people just say 'no way', it's sure a lot more fun to discuss this than a lot of other topics from the last year and a half.

fify (I tend to be more optimistic)

Moved up 12 spots in Sagarin, from 142 to 130. That'll put us about a two pt. dog going into College Park.

RPI

These numbers could get us to the NIT bubble (with quite a few ACC wins).

Not really. The general opinion that our schedule is weak is due to the OOC portion of it which those rankings don't contradict. I still think our schedule is a bit tougher than it first looks primarily because we don't have any real dogs on it like we did last year, even if the top of our schedule wasn't particularly strong. I think our schedule was very average with a bunch of very average teams on it.

I think the NIT is far-fetched (would probably need 7 ACC wins, right?), but I think a CBI bid is quite plausible and would be very good for this team.

Not really. The general opinion that our schedule is weak is due to the OOC portion of it which those rankings don't contradict. I still think our schedule is a bit tougher than it first looks primarily because we don't have any real dogs on it like we did last year, even if the top of our schedule wasn't particularly strong. I think our schedule was very average with a bunch of very average teams on it.

I think the NIT is far-fetched (would probably need 7 ACC wins, right?), but I think a CBI bid is quite plausible and would be very good for this team.

Our schedule also looks better in hindsight, which I think has a bit to do with the bump in the numbers. Wofford, UNCW, and Yale are all playing better than expected, with closer loss margins and surprising wins. Our losses look much better, too. I doubt anybody could have predicted such great years from Dayton and Seton Hall, for instance. Obviously I don't know how these ratings are calculated, but when teams are more competitive than expected, I'd guess the rankings adjust themselves.

We also won some games that we weren't expected to win (@Nebraska and VT are the ones that come to mind), so I'm sure that impacts things, as well.

I agree with you that the NIT is far fetched. CBI or CIT are definitely possible. Given our expectations before the season started, that's obviously significant.

People still forget the NIT is not like it was a few years ago. Every regular season champion that does not make the NCAA tournament is guaranteed a spot, so having a winning record and being in the ACC is no guarantee like it used to be.

If we get in the NIT, it would be a huge accomplishment. Win the games we should (like against BC and GT) and keep most others close enough that we can steal some wins late and it may be possible.

We are better than I expected. Well done, Buzz; let's not stop here though.

If offered a CBI bid, I hope we'd accept it. I understand the ACC office discourages teams from accepting CBI bids, but I think it'd be good for this team to keep playing if it can.

Didn't hurt VCU two years ago when they won the CBI in dominant fashion, returned 5 of their top 6 players and made it to the Final Four the next year.

KenPom has us "favored" in only three more games this year - @ Boston College, vs. Georgia Tech, and vs. Boston College. His strength of schedule for Wake is 205th.

VT is #38 in KenPom, I doubt he predicted we'd win that one.

We had like a 32% chance of winning the VPI game and anyone who watched the game could certainly testify that this was one of our better performances of the year and was coupled with VPI sucking. This was definitely a 32% of the time thing.

That being said though, this is why they play the game.

I'll be heading to College Park to watch the Deacs tomorrow night. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Last year's road woes, or a reformed team who has played well enough in spurts to open up big leads on VaTech and Yale?

Playing well after the Wofford game made sense. Now coming off a win on the road to a Maryland team that just lost a close one to NC State after winning 7 straight... It just screams for a let down.

If we win in College Park I think it seriously alters the ceiling for this team. Then again, I voted no in the "will we beat Maryland" poll, so I'm not real confident that will happen.

Back