• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saban "oversigning" again

I am certain that the knee injury has nothing whatsoever to do with it. The kid is being played. I hope he has some advisers who can lead him into reality.

"If any other college wanted me, they would’ve hit me up. I haven’t really heard from anybody since the injury.”

"...They both stopped talking to me because I was committed to Alabama.”

The kid is surprised that no one else is knocking down his door? He signed to Alabama a year early, and then blew out his knee. Did he not think that Bama would find a better, healthier RB recruit in a year?

Love his quote that Alabama will get him a job pending enrollment.

Grayshirting has been going on for years. Perfectly within the bounds.

Grayshirting has been going on for years. Perfectly within the bounds.

What they did was scummy.
One of the benefits for a recruit to commit early is that it almost always protects the recruit’s scholarship offer in case he is injured before signing a letter-of-intent. Was this scenario discussed with Alabama when Justin committed last February? “To be honest with you, I don’t know. I’m not sure how all of all of this works nowadays. I’m an old-school guy. When I came out of high school 20 years ago, we didn’t commit until late our senior year. I’m new to ‘committing early’ situation. I guess Alabama got too many commitments and that’s why Justin has to grayshirt. It’s a tough situation. When they told me about it two weeks ago, I was mad.”
When Justin injured his knee last August, did Alabama mention the possibility of a “grayshirt” and waiting until next year to sign? “No, they never said anything like that at all. They were good about it. They made it clear they still wanted him this year. They said they were going to stick by him and honor the scholarship. They kept saying that over and over – ‘We’re going to stick by him.’”
When was the first time Alabama mentioned the possibility of delaying his offer until next year? “It was two weeks ago from Coach Rumph. We never had talked about it before at all. [Rumph] explained how they would have a spot for him next year, and I don’t think they would do this to him again next year. Then again, you never know, because college football is still a business. They might decide to go in a different direction. You never know.”
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/16/update-justin-taylor-looking-at-options-after-being-told-he-cant-sign-with-alabama-yet/

"Then again, you never know, because college football is still a business."

Well yea, at Alabama it is.

This is the quote that stood out to me:

What other schools were recruiting you the hardest? “Tennessee came through and I only talked to them one time. They gave me a number and the number didn’t even work. There was South Carolina and Georgia. They both stopped talking to me because I was committed to Alabama.”

Gave him a number. $$$?

What other schools were recruiting you the hardest? “Tennessee came through and I only talked to them one time. They gave me a number and the number didn’t even work. There was South Carolina and Georgia. They both stopped talking to me because I was committed to Alabama.”

Gave him a number. $$$?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

So is the consensus that this kid will never play another snap of meaningful (ie., Div 1) football...?

Gave him a number. $$$?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

phone number

Back