• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Only been watching for 15 mins or so, but we don't have a clue how to use space in the center of midfield do we?

Who needs space in the midfield when you can punt the ball to all that space by the corner flag whenever you want? :rulz:

Yup yup. I think he was good for them down in the championship this past year. A part of why they're coming up, I believe.

Aye. I could see him doing well at that level. His foot skills will be neutralized by better defenders in the Prem. And his final ball was a joke tonight. His speed will prove a threat if they slot him thru an inside channel, but otherwise I wouldn't expect much from him next season. (This is just based on this one match of watching him.)

Not a bad start to the tourney. Thought Cherundolo had a good game and is a huge upgrade from Spector, especially when jumping into the attack. Good to see Jozy more involved in the game than I have seen him in a long time. Will be nice for that center back pair to continue to get more time together against weak opponents so hopefully they are working well together by the time some tougher competition arrives.

Who were the CBs for the WC? Goodson wasn't in there was he? I can't for the life of me remember who the guy that usually plays next to Gooch is.

I'm still not convinced about Ream. I don't see anything too positive with him. Canada was dreadful and Ream still got sucked too far off his line a couple times.

I'm still not convinced about Ream. I don't see anything too positive with him. Canada was dreadful and Ream still got sucked too far off his line a couple times.

Same. The only "quality" that Ream's ever been said to possess is an ability to play the ball out of the back. But I don't really see it. I think there are better CB options in our national pool. Time to start bringing other guys into camp.

Gonzalez looks good. And Opara is quality. Why aren't they getting call ups exactly? Time to shake things up.

Opara is on again off again injured. Gonzalez was unhealthy for a bit at the beginning of the MLS season, but I'm not sure what he's up to now. I think he's been playing though. I don't follow the Galaxy an awful lot.

And as always, I have to plug for my boy Geoff Cameron. He played at CB for Houston last week, and it's obvious he's a natural CB with talent and size to boot. Problem is, Houston's been set on playing him in the midfield. He'll probably never get a cap, but I'm actually confident that he'd be one of the better CBs in our pool if we gave him the chance. Before his injury last year, I think he had at least 1 cap with the USMNT but it was playing on the right wing.

So I spent 10 minutes typing up a halftime analysis only to lose it due to a shitty bar connection.

Dempsey - Our most talented player when he has the ball. Unfortunately, he doesn't get the ball enough, which is partially his fault, but more to due with us not isolating him. Any time a pass is played his way guys come to him for another pass. Leave him alone. He can embarrass most players in the world if he's 1 v 1 on the outside with room to run.

Bradley - He's a rock. His passing is so underrated. When he's allowed to get forward he knows where to run, he knows what balls to play, and most importantly he's not afraid to shoot from distance.

Jozy - Good match from him. Still learning for sure. He's great when he gets the ball to space on the wings. I think he'd thrive under a 4-3-3, though he'd have to show more stamina/effort. His cross was beautiful. His goal, while the keeper made a mess of it, was impressive as well. He had nowhere to go with the ball and no one to play it off to but made the right decision to drill a shot on goal.

Agudelo - Good game. Made some opportunities. Nothing outstanding, but he did well with his chances. I like how he comes back for the ball rather than waiting for over the top balls to the wings. He'll learn his runs/positioning in time.

Donovan - Pretty poor for him. He pressured well defensively in the first half. When he got the ball, nothing really happened. His corners were off the mark for the most part. Too long or not beating the first man. I really just don't see him as an influential player on this team. He's brilliant at times, but not consistent enough. This was his worst showing in a while for the USMNT.

Jones - His cross field passing is amazing. Reminds me of Beckham, though not from sideline to sideline. He also runs so well with the ball through the middle, but often doesn't know what to do with it. He made some bad turnovers in our own half. He also seems to struggle when he thinks about his options rather than playing off instinct. Second half he made some horribly slow passes to Bradley which will almost always result in fouls or counters. Bad game for him.

Dolo - Great runs going forward. A little sloppy defending 1 v 1, but usually recovers well enough. He's consistent.

Ream - He's not nearly as comfortable on the ball as most MLS fans say. Granted international play is faster, but this was Canada. They're not much better than most MLS teams. Seemed really uncomfortable early on, but progressed. Still not sure on him 1 v 1. He doesn't seem to accelerate very well or have great agility.

Goodson - He's a smart defender. He lacks a little in speed, but he usually positions himself well and anticipates what's coming. Solid in the air. I think he needs some time to gel with Timmy and the backline, but he should be starting there for awhile.

Boca - Quiet match. Should have scored, but I'm pretty sure he refuses to unless it's with his head. Played well, nothing to note either way.

Timmy - Player of the game for me. The 2 saves he made were unbelievable. We could have very easily tied with an average keeper in there. Not many goalies will make one, let alone two saves like that in a match. He's so good when he's in a zone.

Sascha should never play for us. That's all.

Edu looked a bit angry coming in. He's not normally one to show any emotion, but he looked like he had a huge chip on his shoulder. Not unreasonable since Jones has taken his spot, but I hope he fights for it rather than sulks. Didn't have much time to make an impression. Some good passes, some slow closing down.

Wondo - He seems like a good guy, but I don't think he's international level. He can have all the positions in the Kama Sutra, but I still don't think he's there. He tried at least 2 or 3 dummies that went straight through for counters. Can't be doing that when there's an easier play against a team like Canada. I do hope he produces for us though. Guys on the team seem to like him and he looks pretty modest out there.

Bradley - His one redeeming feature is that he usually make good decisions in game. I'd have to say no tonight. Dempsey going up top should have been the first sub with Bedoya coming on the left. Sascha should never see the pitch. He offers nothing offensively or defensively. I thought he should have continued the high pressure on Canada's defense, though in a tournament I suppose you don't want to tire anyone out.

Overall - Good first half. There was a 10 minutes period where we possessed the ball better than I've ever seen the USMNT possess. Need to finish some chances better. We have to find a way to make Dempsey a centerpiece. Way too few touches in the first half. He's our most talented/dangerous player. Second half I thought was pretty terrible at times. Canada should not be free to run through our half of the field. Overall, I'd give us a B-. Some moments of good play, but overall average against a pretty terrible opposition. We need to step it up.

Back