• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I think I remember seeing Guido play in the U17 Nike matchups a year or so ago and he seemed like a great talent. Seems like he could fill a major gap in the future for us as a creative midfielder.

Surprised the US youth setup actually identified him as he plays for a smaller club in San Diego, not one of the bigger $$ clubs that usually funnel kids into ODP joke of a development program.

cali -- any idea if the Pelosi playing is related to Nancy Pelosi? I see he is at the same club as Guido on wikipedia. But if that club is in San Diego then I'm guessing not related, but wanted to ask.

If we win this match we are all but assured a spot in the knockout stage. The other two in our group are Uzbekistan and NZ (who are actually pretty good).

As good as Nigeria has been in the U-17, you would think that they would compete better on the international stage/WC.

that's because all their players are much older than 17 when they are in the tournament

cali -- any idea if the Pelosi playing is related to Nancy Pelosi? I see he is at the same club as Guido on wikipedia. But if that club is in San Diego then I'm guessing not related, but wanted to ask.

I'm guessing no - that Aztecs Futbol Club is in Chula Vista (also known as Chula Juana), pretty poor area, close to Mexico, etc. They probably have all kinds of talented kids that never got identified. I've always thought the US needed to focus their scouting in those types of neighborhoods and they would probably find a glut of creative players that could be huge talents with proper coaching.

This Pelosi's not, he grew up in Germany.

ETA: If it's the one going to UCLA ranked number one in the country and playing on the U-17 team which I think it is. He does play in Cali now.

Good info, cali. And I agree on going after kids from less wealthy areas. The roots of football are with the lower classes afterall.

I like Pelosi's fight. Dude is a battler.

Pen scored by Panama to take a 1-0 lead. We better smash them in the rematch or I will be the opposite of happy.

I think it was a pk for el Salvador, acc to ives Twitter and ESPN score tracker.

Good Lord, Pelosi. Hell of a hit. Hit the crossbar and went over from 30 yards or so.

Back