• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

We sucked tonight.

Paraguay deserved the win and probably deserved to win by more.

Seriously, who's watching en vivo on univision?

This team is interesting to watch when not playing the US

MERGED this into this thread. It fits in here.

I think Mexico is on the way up, and that pisses me off.

Some straight up hot ass Mexisluts in the stands. These cameramen are doing work.

ESPN's player ratings from last night

Thought people would enjoy this one"

Jonathan Bornstein, 1.5 -- He let an opponent beat him to a simple header and almost score early. The rest of his "contribution" consisted of two terrible touches that killed off very promising attacks and a misdelivered 10-yard cross in the 60th minute that should have yielded a simple shot on goal for Altidore. If this isn't the last time we see him turn out for the U.S., all conspiracy theories will become credible.

After reading through the rest of his ratings it is clear that the author is a moron and has no idea how to really rate a players' performance.

8.5 for Chandler?!?! What? He had a fine match, but to get above an 8 a player has to take over a game. Chandler was more of a 7. I think a 7.5 for his performance would be a stretch.

JOZY! a 4?? Really? 4s represent somebody that was so dross that them being on the pitch cost their team a result. Hard to say that about JOZY! last night. He had a bad match. He should have received a 5. Considering everyone starts out at a 6.

Tim Ream a 7? He had a fine match but he really didn't do anything that was spectacular to suggest he had anything but a fine game. Nothing bad sticks out, but nothing good sticks out either. 6 or 6.5 for him would be accurate.

Also, rating Donovan better than Dempsey doesn't make sense to me. They both sucked. Donovan was wasteful in possession. Dempsey was wasteful in his shooting. Both led to the US losing the ball way too many times.

Also don't agree with the lofty 7.5's for either Baby Bradley or Agudelo. Both had good games, but neither really stood out for me. Efficient, yet not dominating performances for them both.

I never got into player ratings, but if everyone starts out at 6, and 4 is a player so bad that they cost their team a result, then the only other score for a less than average performance is a 5. How does that make any sense?

Meh. I think we will turn things around this summer during the gold cup, no reason that we shouldn't.

I never got into player ratings, but if everyone starts out at 6, and 4 is a player so bad that they cost their team a result, then the only other score for a less than average performance is a 5. How does that make any sense?

It's British in nature. The less sense it makes to us the more it makes to them.

8 is really good.
9 is phenomenal.
10 is other worldly.

5 is crap.
4 is disastrous.
3 is kill yourself territory.

I've never seen a 2 or 1.

England ratings from the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8415031/How-England-rated-against-Ghana.html

1 - 8
5 - 7s
5 - 6s
4 - 5s

My post match thoughts-

Positives:

-Crowd, set a record for attendance at a soccer match in TN. Also, they stood the whole time. Ive never seen a US Soccer crowd not sit down.
-Timmy Chandler, kid can play
-Juan Agudelo, has a bring future
-Time Ream, great passing out of the back
-Baby Bradley, seriously haters shut up

Negatives:

-Losing, it sucks
-Not scoring a goal, it sucks more
-Driving 12 hours in 23 hours
-Donovan, when was the last time he got a free kick over the 1st Defender?
-Jozy, I think we all know what road he is beginning down...
-Borenstein, stepped on the ball and fell on his ass

Back