• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Youtube needs to step up their game on the headers. Everyone knows that "Highlights from the USA's 2-0 Win vs. Mexico on..." isn't anywhere near descriptive enough for embedding. 2-0 is basically a given at this point!

Posrep

I'm sure some former little league pitcher out there has him beat, but it's close.

Not sure if you've been following the Landon situation siff, but I don't think it's really his choice. The believe the MLS has routinely turned down offers for him, and clubs aren't going to spend THAT much money on Landon. He's paid quite well in the MLS as it stands.

Not sure if you've been following the Landon situation siff, but I don't think it's really his choice. The believe the MLS has routinely turned down offers for him, and clubs aren't going to spend THAT much money on Landon. He's paid quite well in the MLS as it stands.

I can't imagine that his value as a player for a European team would match the price MLS will demand for its #1 commodity. Not even if he could play like he did for Everton for full seasons. Not even he were 2-3 years younger.

Guarantee that within a year that chick writes some article about how MLS isn't good enough because the best American players don't play in it.

Maybe Donovan just prefers living in the US? He's making a couple million a year from his salary and a bunch more in promo/ads. He controls the team. I'm pretty sure he gets way more time off playing in MLS than he would in Europe. There's little media pressure relative to Europe. He can go have dinner or go out at night without hordes of fans hounding him.

I'd go to Europe, but I can certainly see why some might chose not to.

Maybe Donovan just prefers living in the US? He's making a couple million a year from his salary and a bunch more in promo/ads. He controls the team. I'm pretty sure he gets way more time off playing in MLS than he would in Europe. There's little media pressure relative to Europe. He can go have dinner or go out at night without hordes of fans hounding him.

I'd go to Europe, but I can certainly see why some might chose not to.

Seriously. I think a lot of you guys underestimate how big an effect crappy European weather (except for Spain and Italy) can have on a socal guy. If I were in Donovan's shoes, I would absolutely stay in LA unless I was pretty much guaranteed Champions League play in either Spain or Italy.

Landon definitely has the hookup in the US. He may want to stay. He may not. My point is that he doesn't have much of a choice. We've seen teams come calling for him before (Everton), but they've been turned away by the MLS wanting an unreasonable fee.

Landon definitely has the hookup in the US. He may want to stay. He may not. My point is that he doesn't have much of a choice. We've seen teams come calling for him before (Everton), but they've been turned away by the MLS wanting an unreasonable fee.

I'm pretty sure that more often than that is MLS turning away teams because they offer something unreasonable on the low end.

I'm pretty sure that more often than that is MLS turning away teams because they offer something unreasonable on the low end.

I think we're on the same page then. I'm trying to say that the MLS may be demanding $7 mil as a transfer for Landon, but any reasonable European team only wants to spend $3-4 mil.

Is that what you're trying to say?

Yeah, I'm saying $3-4 mil is insultingly low for a player like Landon and MLS is completely right to laugh at those offers.

Seriously. I think a lot of you guys underestimate how big an effect crappy European weather (except for Spain and Italy) can have on a socal guy. If I were in Donovan's shoes, I would absolutely stay in LA unless I was pretty much guaranteed Champions League play in either Spain or Italy.

It's called "ambition"

Back