• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I care about what he does for our National Team. IDGAF where he plays his club soccer.

But surely you can understand a player will grow more playing against stronger competition?

I'd love Donovan to go to Europe. It will definitely make him better tactically and technically. But I don't blame him for a minute if he doesn't. If he's happy where he is, why change that?

That's cool. If LD prefers a couple of extra years in SoCal to trying to make his mark (internationally) as a soccer player, that's fine. Doesn't mean that we should ignore his lack of ambition.

The issue isn't whether or not he deserves happiness, if that's what Cali gives him. The issue is what appears to be his desire to enjoy warm weather and a year round tan instead of challenging himself and the ability God's given him. He can live in Cali the rest of his life. He can't play soccer at the highest level much longer.

Bingo.

Siff, we are starting to agree on a scarily high level. :thumbsup:

But surely you can understand a player will grow more playing against stronger competition?

I'd love Donovan to go to Europe. It will definitely make him better tactically and technically. But I don't blame him for a minute if he doesn't. If he's happy where he is, why change that?

Yeah I agree. On that same point being the captain and go to man on his MLS team and dominating can affect his mental game more than just being a player on some European team. He knows he Americas soccer poster boy so that may be the way he wants to keep it.

I forget who said they might be going, but the T is now running a commuter train to the US/Spain match. American Outlaws also have a 2nd bus running from Phoenix Landing in Central Sq. that might still have seats available. I missed buying tickets from American Outlaws and Sam's Army, so I'm waiting to hear from a couple friends who might go before I order. But if anyone is looking for someone to go with/tailgate, let me know.

I said no to the Spain match. Would totally be in if I didn't already have Gold Cup tickets to the Tampa and DC (hopefully we can finish 1st or 2nd in our group) matches.

From what I remember Landon reuped with MLS in 2009 before the last world cup and his Everton loan spell. This happened right after his failed loan to Bayern and the offer he was given by MLS was far higher than anything he would have been guaranteed over there. So he signed a new contract, and then six months later his stock blew up but he was locked in with MLS. And unlike most European leagues MLS doesn't play games when it comes to allowing their top players to leave. They always try to make money on every player.

From what I remember Landon reuped with MLS in 2009 before the last world cup and his Everton loan spell. This happened right after his failed loan to Bayern and the offer he was given by MLS was far higher than anything he would have been guaranteed over there. So he signed a new contract, and then six months later his stock blew up but he was locked in with MLS. And unlike most European leagues MLS doesn't play games when it comes to allowing their top players to leave. They always try to make money on every player.

He's making $2.1/year, which amounts to 25,000-30,000 pounds a week? I'm sure he could have found a club that would have paid him at least that in Europe. His contract would have expired at the end of 2011 I think. So he didn't need to extend his contract when he did, unless he really felt being loaned out to Everton was worth it. He would have still had a chance to showcase himself in WC2010, GC2011 before his contract with LA expired. Though MLS would have certainly sold him after WC2010 if they knew he wasn't going to stick around. Unless I have some of this wrong, I really think it shows he wanted to stay in LA. He had all the leverage with his contract running down.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool).

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Villarreal), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Andoni Iraola (Athletic Bilbao).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Bruno Soriano (Villarreal), Borja Valero (Villarreal).

Forwards: David Silva (Manchester City), David Villa (Barcelona), Pedro (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Manu Del Moral (Sevilla), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla).

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool).

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Villarreal), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Andoni Iraola (Athletic Bilbao).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Bruno Soriano (Villarreal), Borja Valero (Villarreal).

Forwards: David Silva (Manchester City), David Villa (Barcelona), Pedro (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Manu Del Moral (Sevilla), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla).

That's a strong team.

Yeah and that's missing a few starters. Granted, their 5th string could still win the Gold Cup.

One night later in Fairfax, Langley forward Josh Ellis charged from the top of the box as a blocked penalty kick rebounded into the area and smacked the ball into the net, helping lead the second-ranked Saxons to a 3-0 win in the district playoffs.

What up old high school?

2-1 Spain

I can't believe they included Torres. His out of form ass should be dropped.

Torres should put a few wayward shots into the crowd. So that will help keep the score down.

Back