• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scott vetoes aid to rape crisis centers

I know Shorty state after state doing things that harm women (including rape victims) doesn't matter.

The GOP in Congress holding up the Violence Against Women for the first time ever is nothing either.

The AZ law doesn't matter.

The laws in WI don't matter.

$1.5 million cut. The spokeswoman for the centers says that this would allow them to serve 1.2 million women. Really? $1.25 each?

Also, there is some kind of fine that sex offenders are supposed to pay, and that fine was designated as the funding for this. Perhaps the fine should be raised. The original law was passed 9 years ago, so the part of the article where they say it's too early for this to be covering the costs is just silly.

$1.5 million cut. The spokeswoman for the centers says that this would allow them to serve 1.2 million women. Really? $1.25 each?

Also, there is some kind of fine that sex offenders are supposed to pay, and that fine was designated as the funding for this. Perhaps the fine should be raised. The original law was passed 9 years ago, so the part of the article where they say it's too early for this to be covering the costs is just silly.

1.2 million rape victims in FL???

Last edited:
during their lifetimes...not currently...but try to justify cutting funding to thirty centers that do help women who have been raped or otherwise abused.

My bad change the subject not the reality.

The 1.2M number is misleading without more info. It sounds like she's using a statistic that 1.2M women in FL have been victims of sexual abuse over some time period. That's not too far-fetched given that Florida has over 19M people and well, it's Florida.

Early in my career I was court-appointed to represent a man accused of rape and child molestation. This black teenager had gone to the home of a known drug dealer to buy crack cocaine, and the drug dealer sold him some fake stuff. The teenager got mad, demanded his money back, and when the dealer refused, he went to the police and accused the drug dealer of anal rape and sodomy. The police then added the child molestation charge because the teenager was under 18 years old.

When the trial started, the "victim" walks in the courtroom with his Rape Crisis counsellor. Except that nobody knows who they were. This was a rural county with very few reported rapes, so the Rape Crisis counsellor was especially eager to do her job to justify her government position. She looked like the typical government bureaucrat with long stringy hair, clunky eyeglasses, cheap cotton dress, and Birkenstock sandals. She was around 5' tall and petite, and the "victim" was around 6' tall and at least 200 lbs. They sit on the front row of the courtroom, closest to the jury, and the counsellor hugs the "victim", with her arm around his back and her other arm on his front shoulder. They probably teach counsellors in Rape Crisis school to sit on the front row closest to the jury and hug the victim during trial in order to humanize the victim to the jury, so the lady was doing exactly what she was instructed to do as part of her training.

When opening arguments got underway, the Judge interrupted me and asked counsel to approach the bench. He then asked us (me and the District Attorney) "whos that woman over there hugging on that black man?". The DA informed him that it was the "victim" and his counsellor and the Judge loudly said "WHAT???". At the Judge's request the DA passed a written note to the counsellor asking her to quit hugging on the "victim".

My client was a notorious drug dealer in this community. During a break in the trial, my client asked me if I smoked and the brand of cigarettes, and I told him. The next day during a break in the trial, he pulls out a back of cigarettes that were my brand to give me as a gift for representing him so thoroughly, and I said "How the heck did you get cigarettes when you've been in jail for the last 6 months and cigarettes are considered contraband?" and he just smiled at me and didn't say anything. After the trial, the jury was out less than 30 minutes before returning with a verdict of acquittal. I'm sure the Rape Crisis lady really felt like a failure, but at least she had a government job with lots of training seminars and conferences to attend.

That's really sad and demeaning to women who have been raped.

Boog, not sure what your point is.

Early in my career I was court-appointed to represent a man accused of rape and child molestation. This black teenager had gone to the home of a known drug dealer to buy crack cocaine, and the drug dealer sold him some fake stuff. The teenager got mad, demanded his money back, and when the dealer refused, he went to the police and accused the drug dealer of anal rape and sodomy. The police then added the child molestation charge because the teenager was under 18 years old.

When the trial started, the "victim" walks in the courtroom with his Rape Crisis counsellor. Except that nobody knows who they were. This was a rural county with very few reported rapes, so the Rape Crisis counsellor was especially eager to do her job to justify her government position. She looked like the typical government bureaucrat with long stringy hair, clunky eyeglasses, cheap cotton dress, and Birkenstock sandals. She was around 5' tall and petite, and the "victim" was around 6' tall and at least 200 lbs. They sit on the front row of the courtroom, closest to the jury, and the counsellor hugs the "victim", with her arm around his back and her other arm on his front shoulder. They probably teach counsellors in Rape Crisis school to sit on the front row closest to the jury and hug the victim during trial in order to humanize the victim to the jury, so the lady was doing exactly what she was instructed to do as part of her training.

When opening arguments got underway, the Judge interrupted me and asked counsel to approach the bench. He then asked us (me and the District Attorney) "whos that woman over there hugging on that black man?". The DA informed him that it was the "victim" and his counsellor and the Judge loudly said "WHAT???". At the Judge's request the DA passed a written note to the counsellor asking her to quit hugging on the "victim".

My client was a notorious drug dealer in this community. During a break in the trial, my client asked me if I smoked and the brand of cigarettes, and I told him. The next day during a break in the trial, he pulls out a back of cigarettes that were my brand to give me as a gift for representing him so thoroughly, and I said "How the heck did you get cigarettes when you've been in jail for the last 6 months and cigarettes are considered contraband?" and he just smiled at me and didn't say anything. After the trial, the jury was out less than 30 minutes before returning with a verdict of acquittal. I'm sure the Rape Crisis lady really felt like a failure, but at least she had a government job with lots of training seminars and conferences to attend.

What is the point of this post? Some people falsely accuse others of rape + some government workers aren't good at their jobs? I'm sure on the whole rape crisis counselors do far more good for the people they deal with than harm to the system.

This is coming from the guy who admitted he judged all graduates from a certain law school based on his experience with one or two of them. No doubt Boog assumes that all rape crisis counselors are liars based on his experience with one.

I'm relieved that we all can agree that the $1.25 each that Floridians will now pass on to sex offenders is not a big deal.

mabfja.jpg

LOL BBD neg repped me and accused me of "misogyny" (BTW now that anonymous neg rep is gone, I have confirmation that Shoo and BBD are responsible for all my neg rep). Dude, it was a teenage boy who falsely accused my client of rape. He was of the same gender as I am. How is that misogynous?

Everyone comes on this board to argue their point, without stopping to think about how things work in real life. RJ is "outraged" that the rape crisis budget is being cut in Florida. Has anybody ever seen what rape crisis counsellors actually do in real life? I have, and thats why I posted my story.

I'm sure they do a lot of good in most situations, but when government revenue is down government officials have to make hard choices to cut services. Its not unreasonable to cut a service that basically duplicates what is already being provided by law enforcement personnel and mental health counselling centers (except of course for the part about sitting on the front row of the courtroom and hugging the victim in front of the jury). Still, in a perfect world, it would be better to have rape crisis centers on every corner if the resources are there to fund them, but thats a big "if".

LOL BBD neg repped me and accused me of "misogyny" (BTW now that anonymous neg rep is gone, I have confirmation that Shoo and BBD are responsible for all my neg rep). Dude, it was a teenage boy who falsely accused my client of rape. He was of the same gender as I am. How is that misogynous?.

1) I signed all the neg rep I ever gave you

2) I was talking about your description of the counselor when I called you misogynistic

1) I signed all the neg rep I ever gave you

2) I was talking about your description of the counselor when I called you misogynistic

1) I guess I can blame Shoo then.

2) I accurately described her. Whats misogynous about that? She wore Lillith Fair eyeglasses and Birkenstock sandals. Maybe thats stereotypical of a female government employee in the mid-1990s, but its not a negative description. Is it misogynous to accurately describe someone?

Back