• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Dead Guy was one of the first craft beers that was available in NC back in the stone ages. I consider it fairly average now, but back in the day it was a treat.

Bringing this thread back from the dead. For those in the Austin area, Whole Foods is carrying Maine Beer Company now. One of the best breweries out there.

Bringing this thread back from the dead. For those in the Austin area, Whole Foods is carrying Maine Beer Company now. One of the best breweries out there.

I will look for it. I had some in Maine a while back. Lately I have been having almost all local stuff from places I like to go with coworkers on Fridays. I want those places to still exist when we start going out again. If you like cider at all I would recommend Fairweather. Most of what they can is basic, although I read they are canning Cydersport now. Tejano Dreams is interesting also. Otherwise my favorites are the ones they offer onsite and they regularly have something new.

Which spot is your favorite in town? There’s so many to chose from & it’s hard to check them all off since many don’t can.

All the ones near my office can, but (like Fairweather) my favorites are not in stores. Austin Beerworks and Hopsquad are offering beer to go with a good variety. Austin Beerworks rolls out new stuff all the time. I have not liked 4th Tap's newer stuff as much as what they used to do. Then every so often we make the drive out to the Oasis for beer and views.

Maine is solid but definitely not in my top five breweries in New England. Sadly, most of the breweries that are in my Top Five from New England (Lawson's, Alchemist, Tree House, Lord Hobo and Hill Farmstead are my top five in no particular order) only distribute in the Northeast (with the exception of Lord Hobo, which I've found in various random parts of the country - I've found it in California, Colorado, Florida, etc...though the taproom exclusives that Lord Hobo does are insane.

Maine is solid but definitely not in my top five breweries in New England. Sadly, most of the breweries that are in my Top Five from New England (Lawson's, Alchemist, Tree House, Lord Hobo and Hill Farmstead are my top five in no particular order) only distribute in the Northeast (with the exception of Lord Hobo, which I've found in various random parts of the country - I've found it in California, Colorado, Florida, etc...though the taproom exclusives that Lord Hobo does are insane.

While I really liked Alchemist I was not blown away like so many seem to be. Hill Farmstead definitely lived up to the hype.

While I really liked Alchemist I was not blown away like so many seem to be. Hill Farmstead definitely lived up to the hype.

I personally find Focal Banger to be much superior to Heady Topper. I had some of my fellow beer snob friends do a blind taste test at a bar one night (I had managed to pick up a couple of four packs of each while in Vermont) as well as Sip of Sunshine. Sip of Sunshine was the unanimous number one, with Focal coming in second and Heady in third.

As for Hill Farmstead, I found both Society and Solitude #4 and #9 on draft in New York back in October (along with Harlan), and Arthur at Brewdog in Brussels back in 2018 (was very surprised to see a bottle of that over in Europe).

FYI it is Cold Mountain weekend. Hits distribution on 11/15.

When I was in Austin for the USGP last year, I really enjoyed the beer and vibe at Hi Sign Brewing.

We visited The Alchemist last year and really enjoyed both Heady Topper and Focal Banger. I enjoyed Focal Banger more and the wife preferred Heady Topper. Did not get to Hill Farmstead but they are definitely on the list to visit post-Covid

Just moved to Arlington, VA a couple of weeks ago. Really been enjoying the beers from Aslin Beer Company.

Just moved to Arlington, VA a couple of weeks ago. Really been enjoying the beers from Aslin Beer Company.

Unsolicited but I’d recommend 3 Stars in DC, Port City in Alexandria, and Brookeville Beer Farm out a ways is the best of the lot.

To date Other Half has only done IPAs, which I like, but haven't been able to justify an order of 30 IPAs to make the trip to Ivy City. I love their fruity collabs with other places and will definitely patronize them a lot more if we ever get out of lockdown.

To date Other Half has only done IPAs, which I like, but haven't been able to justify an order of 30 IPAs to make the trip to Ivy City. I love their fruity collabs with other places and will definitely patronize them a lot more if we ever get out of lockdown.

Other Half is amazing - they had a pop-up truck in Bryant Park for most of August and September. It was awesome.

Other Half does delivery since the pandemic broke out...got a case of 6 different IPAs last Saturday. The brewery industry has really adapted in this time in terms of delivery and curbside pickup...I have to say it’s been one positive for me. Was up in Massachusetts a bunch this summer: Treehouse has an easy pickup system (much better than standing in line for an hour plus like before) and Trillium does delivery to different zones each week.

how's DC Brau these days? You don't hear much about them. They were a big deal when they were the first brewery to start up in the District after an old law was changed. Always enjoyed Corruption, especially because I could get discount 6ers at DeVinos in Adams Morgan.

I'd go:

Three Stars - elite, really good

Right Proper/Bluejacket - mostly excellent

DC Brau/Atlas Brew Works/Hellbender/Red Bear - passable, a few standout beers

Bardo/Capitol City Brewing - awful, don't attempt to drink these

Headed to Asheville in a couple of weeks, hoping to visit the Wedge, Sierra Nevada, Burial Brewing and Zillacoah.

Anyone got anything better than those?

Back