• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPIN's 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.spin.com/articles/spins-100-greatest-guitarists-all-time?fullsite=true

To celebrate the new generation of shredders profiled in our May/June "Loud Issue," the SPIN staff decided to find some wheedle in a haystack, taking on the impossible task of ranking our favorite guitar players of all time. Traditionally, the "greatest guitarist" timeline begins with Robert Johnson magically conjuring the blues, nears perfection with Eric Clapton mutating it beatifically, and then ultimately reaches a boomer-baiting Rock and Roll Hall of Fame apotheosis with the free-spirited Jimi Hendrix shooting it into space like feedback-laden fireworks. For this list, we veer toward the alternative canon that kicks in with the Velvet Underground trying to erase that form entirely, making guitar solos gauche and using instruments as sadomasochistic tools for hammering out sheets of white heat.

As you will see, our list embraces outsiders, trailblazers, outliers, and Eugene Chadbourne playing a rake. We don't worship "guitar gods," but prefer our axe-wielders to be resourceful, egalitarian, flawed, and human. We're not drawn to Olympic feats of fleet-fingered athletics, unless they're used for unique and exploratory ends. We see the mewling histrionics of Jeff Beck as tyranny instead of catharsis. The name Derek Trucks is practically alien to us.

But maybe we're overthinking all this. Shut up 'n play yer guitar! CHRISTOPHER R. WEINGARTEN

So it's the hipster nonsense list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

That list is so terrible it's not worth reading. It's complete nonsense.

I saw that the first entry is Skrillex, who isn't even a guitarist.

Should I even bother with the rest of this hipster nonsense?

No Jimmy.

Please don't ever cite Spin as a reliable source on music ever again.

So basically its the Top 100 Guitarists who don't make Top 100 lists.

Zappa is on there. He is a top 100 guitarist.

No Jimmy.

Please don't ever cite Spin as a reliable source on music ever again.

Yeah, I jumped to pages 9-11 and had a good laugh in between a few "what the fucks." Thurston Moore? #1?? Spin is a little late with its April 1st issue.

they also have a dude (sorry if I'm ignorant, but never heard of him) who is a composer of like guitar orchestras.

You had me at "Greatest Guitarists". But you lost me at "Spin".

My skills on the guitar are basic enough, yet bad enough, that I could probably make this list if I lost 100 lbs., quit bathing, and acted all mopey and depressed.

Back