• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 4/10/11

DeaconKing

Reaction score
First I have nothing new on the Jeff Battle situation, though I stand by my statement that Ill be suprised if he stays. That said, the only opinion that really matters here is his son's.

Theres been a lot of back and forth here about Coach Battle's relationship with Coach [Redacted]. There is a lot of shared respect there. But early in the season, their different philosophies clashed - Coach B thought the coaches needed to slow down the learning curve for the players, Coach Bzzz decided to keep them "in the deep end." Coach B is definitely to classy to say any of this publicly, and even if its a factor in why he leaves, its not the biggest reason or does it mean he doesn't get along with Coach Bzzz. This stuff happens sometimes with mixed and matched staffs.

If Coach Battle heads to Providence, my biggest concerns in terms of our players will be Codi Miller-McIntryre, who is now on everyones radar, and Tony Chennault who is very close with Coach Battle.

Recruiting, 2011

Eric Katenda was at Iowa this weekend and will be at Notre Dame next weekend. I still believe he is the Irish's to lose.

If Katenda doesn't sign with us I still expect us to sign a 2011 post player. In addition to postgrad options already mentioned are Euros. Thomas de Thaey is one of those possible Europeans, a 6'7 forward from Belgium. He plays at Canarias Basketball Academy, in the Canary Islands of Spain.

Another possible European for next year is de Thaeys teammate, Marek Soucek, a center from Czech. Soucek is 6'9. Though Ive not seen tape on either player, Im told "neither are bangers now but could be, with lifting and coaching." If we get Soucek, we probably have to beat out Maryland.

There are other possible Euros/postgrads but haven't been able to get their names yet.

Names already discussed: Neither Aaric Murray or Ola Ashalou will be coming to Wake.

Jordan Latham a 6'8 power forward who played one year at Xavier, is transferring. We will take a look.

No real news here. Stefan Jankovic remains our no. 1 priority, with Zach Auguste and Kale Abrahamson also possibles.

Last edited:
Im told "neither are bangers now but could be, with lifting and coaching."

getting tired of hearing this. would rather have an eric williams or reggie johnson at this point than someone we need to beef up to play down low.

thanks for the info as always.

There is NO reason to go after Jordan Latham. He was medfiocre in HS and didn't get off the bench much at Xavier.

It's silly to use our last scholarship on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconKing
Im told "neither are bangers now but could be, with lifting and coaching."

Not worried about the lifting, but not sure where the coaching will come from...

Thanks, King. Really wish we would have offered Reggie Johnson. Sigh.

getting tired of hearing this. would rather have an eric williams or reggie johnson at this point than someone we need to beef up to play down low.

thanks for the info as always.

I doubt there is anyone on this board who would disagree with you.

That said, how many big men arrive at college each fall with a physically mature body ready to successfully play in the post? A handful, maybe?

Seems that unless you're fortunate enough to be an elite program able to get a Greg Oden, Tyler Hansbrough, or Greg Monroe, you have two realistic options: (1) a guy who needs to bulk up, add weight and strength (e.g., Kyle Visser); or (2) a guy who needs to slim down, add stamina and strength (e.g., Big E). Don't forget that Big E didn't arrive at Wake Forest as Big E. Dude weighed 300 lbs, was woefully out of shape, and fouled out of every game because of his lack of conditioning.

I doubt there is anyone on this board who would disagree with you.

That said, how many big men arrive at college each fall with a physically mature body ready to successfully play in the post? A handful, maybe?

Seems that unless you're fortunate enough to be an elite program able to get a Greg Oden, Tyler Hansbrough, or Greg Monroe, you have two realistic options: (1) a guy who needs to bulk up, add weight and strength (e.g., Kyle Visser); or (2) a guy who needs to slim down, add stamina and strength (e.g., Big E). Don't forget that Big E didn't arrive at Wake Forest as Big E. Dude weighed 300 lbs, was woefully out of shape, and fouled out of every game because of his lack of conditioning.

And Reggie Johnson redshirted his first year to get into shape, I believe.

I used to be against redshirting in basketball under the belief that if a kid can't contribute in his first year, why would you want him around for five?

Skeen's performance for VCU this season in his 5th year definitely got me to reconsider my position. Reggie Johnson makes the case for redshirting. We've had guys like Chas, Josh Howard, and Taron who prepped for a year who made a nice leap between their junior (4th) and senior (5th) years. Rountree is in the position to do the same thing after reclassifying.

Of course, the greatest 5th year in Wake history came from Randolph Childress. He redshirted his 2nd year due to injury and came back to continue being one of our all-time greats.

Now I don't know if thinking about things in this way would have changed my perspective on TC this year. I originally thought he definitely should play so we can better assess where he fits on the team going forward and I think that was useful. I do think redshirting and recruiting player who prep or take an extra year would be beneficial.

I think Euros coming in are generally older, too, which this team could use.

How old are Soucek and De Thaey?

Back