• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I've seen the Tarkovsky. Is it worth reading?

Thanks for the other recs.

I haven't seen either of the films, but I really loved the book.

The other one I read during this run was Farewell to Matyora, by Valentin Rasputin, but that doesn't seem to fit as well with the vibe you're looking for. Good shit, though.

You've probably read Unbearable Lightness of Being, but if you haven't read The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, then that would be my first rec for commie-era/satire-ish/human condition/existential shit.

Solaris has some heart to it, too, I think, but yeah, the planet imagery, though pretty fantastic, toed a rambling abstract line sometimes. I think I read Lem didn't really dig the English translation, though (maybe wiki, so, um, yeah).

I finished Don Winslow's Power of the Dog and immediately picked up and sawed through the next book in the series: The Cartel. I've been recommending them to any and everyone. I was worried they would be pivoted around the shock value of what the cartels do to people, but it was WAY more than that. It's practically the history of the war on drugs from 1977 - 2015 set to a narrative. I liken it to The Wire in terms of how it practically reads/watches like a very entertaining yet tragic documentary. Highly recommended.

I also read Savages, by the same author, which I didn't like nearly as much. I mention this because I wouldn't want people to be scared off by that atrocity of a movie that came out a few years back.

Just started reading Devil in the White City. I've heard great things, so I'm pumped.

Last edited:
Anybody here read Maggie Nelson? I just started Argonauts and have been recommended Bluets. I dig her style.

I finished Don Winslow's Power of the Dog and immediately picked up and sawed through the next book in the series: The Cartel. I've been recommending them to any and everyone. I was worried they would be pivoted around the shock value of what the cartels do to people, but it was WAY more than that. It's practically the history of the war on drugs from 1977 - 2015 set to a narrative. I liken it to The Wire in terms of how it practically reads/watches like a very entertaining yet tragic documentary. Highly recommended.

I also read Savages, by the same author, which I didn't like nearly as much. I mention this because I wouldn't want people to be scared off by that atrocity of a movie that came out a few years back.

Just started reading Devil in the White City. I've heard great things, so I'm pumped.

So where do I start with Winslow? Power of the Dog first? I was just about to order The Cartel... Didn't know that I should perhaps start with something else.

So where do I start with Winslow? Power of the Dog first? I was just about to order The Cartel... Didn't know that I should perhaps start with something else.

Power of the Dog is the first book in the series and should absolutely be read before The Cartel. They're directly connected. Power of the Dog tells the story from around 1977 - 1997, while The Cartel covers about 1997 - 2015.

Last edited:
Started Infinite Jest a few weeks back and somehow I am 300 pages in but still not sure I have any idea what it happening. I recently read a blurb describing the book and I literally thought maybe it was a different book being described, but I guess I just haven't gotten to that part yet.

Anybody here read Maggie Nelson? I just started Argonauts and have been recommended Bluets. I dig her style.

Maggie Nelson has come up a couple of times recently in my sphere so I may check her out. I've mainly just heard about Argonauts. I haven't read any, though.

Just started John Barth's The End of the Road, but my attention span is terrible these days, so we'll see how far I get. I really dug The Floating Opera and this already seems to have the same feel a couple of pages in.

I love this kind of shit:

The placing of your arms is a separate problem, interesting in its own right and, in a way, even more complicated, but of lesser importance, since no matter where you put them they will not normally come into physical contact with the Doctor. You may do anything you like with them (you wouldn't, clearly, put them on your knees in imitation of him). As a rule I move mine about a good bit, leaving them in one position for a while and then moving them to another. Arms folded, akimbo, or dangling; hands grasping the seat edges or thighs, or clasped behind the head or resting in the lap -- these (and their numerous degrees and variations) are all in their own ways satisfactory positions for the arms and hands, and if I shift from one to another, this shifting is really not so much a manifestation of embarrassment, or hasn't been since the first half-dozen interviews, as a recognition of the fact that when one is faced with such a multitude of desirable choices, no one choice seems satisfactory for very long by comparison with the aggregate desirability of all the rest, though compared to any one of the others it would not be found inferior.

It seems to me at just this moment (I am writing this at 7:55 in the evening of Tuesday, October 4, 1955, upstairs in the dormitory) that, should you choose to consider that final observation as a metaphor, it is the story of my life in a sentence -- to be precise, in the latter member of a double predicate nominative expression in the second independent clause of a rather intricate compound sentence. You see that I was in truth a grammar teacher.
Instantly a host of arguments against applying for a job at the Wicomico State Teachers College presented themselves for my use, and as instantly a corresponding number of refutations lined up opposite them, one for one, so that the question of my application was held static like the rope marker in a tug-o'-war where the opposing teams are perfectly matched. This again is in a sense the story of my life, nor does it really matter if it is not just the same story as that of a few paragraphs ago: as I began to learn not long after this interview, when the schedule of therapies reached Mythotherapy, the same life lends itself to any number of stories -- parallel, concentric, mutually habitant, or what you will.

Well.

Started Infinite Jest a few weeks back and somehow I am 300 pages in but still not sure I have any idea what it happening. I recently read a blurb describing the book and I literally thought maybe it was a different book being described, but I guess I just haven't gotten to that part yet.

I had a similar experience and just gave up.

For better or worse, I am no quitter, so I'll stick with it if it takes me 2 years to finish the damn thing.

There are sections (not sure that chapters is the right word) that are just totally brilliant and engaging, then others where I just have no idea what is going on and am afraid am missing the significance of characters or things that will be important 800 pages from now.

The asides almost seem to function as short stories within the overall book, so I'm okay with that. For example, the weird side story written in ghetto slang with the guy who ODs on tainted heroin from Chinatown. Enjoyed the story, but at the same time worried that at some point on like page 900 I'm going to be expected to have remembered some detail from it.

There are some pretty good online guides for Infinite Jest that help keep up with different relationships, callbacks, references, etc.

I found infinitesummer.org today, which is pretty cool and helpful.

I finished The Martian and I feel like it ended abruptly but was really good.

Back