• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I'm re-reading "St. Dale" by Sharyn McCrumb. I'd forgotten how great it is, and I'm not a NASCAR fan.

Just finished the new Erik Larson novel “Splendid and the Vile”. Great read, one of my absolute favorite nonfiction authors.

New Dresden Files book comes out in a couple of weeks following a six year hiatus from the last one. I read them all about 3 years ago for the first time. Went back to read the last two before the new one comes out. I kind of wish I had started the whole series over. I forgot a lot of stuff and they are really fun books, especially for summer.

Finishing up book 1 of the Machineries of Empire trilogy rn. Easily the most inventive science fiction I’ve ever read. So cool.

writer I've only read in journals -- has a story in this edition of Paris Review, but also does some non-fiction stuff

has a memoir out called Work I haven't read and a long-forthcoming novel called Teenager

he's a heavy construction worker by trade with a very clipped and off-balanced style -- I'm a big fan and need to get my hands on more of his stuff

New Dresden Files book comes out in a couple of weeks following a six year hiatus from the last one. I read them all about 3 years ago for the first time. Went back to read the last two before the new one comes out. I kind of wish I had started the whole series over. I forgot a lot of stuff and they are really fun books, especially for summer.

I'm sure I will read it, but I really think I enjoyed the earlier books better. Like so many other long series, the constant escalation gets tiresome. I enjoyed the smaller scale stories more.

Been reading a lot under quarantine, here are some of them, mostly recommend the starred

The Overstory - Best book I've read in a long while, maybe since All The Light We Cannot See
Salvage the Bones - tough read but excellent
Sharks in the Time of Saviors - ditto, tough but great
Ninefox Gambit - really cool sci-fi, first of a trilogy, dense, so i'm waiting to attack books 2 and 3
Underground Railroad - dunno why it took me so long to click with this book but it's great
They Can't Kill Us Til They Kill Us - some essays hit or miss but a great perspective
Sport of Kings - a little slow and too long
Carrie - not his best, not his worst
The Immortalists - easy, quick
Talisman/Black House - King and Straub collabs, very fun, very long
Heart-Shaped Box - not so good

might be forgetting some, i also read a couple baby books

Also reading a lot during quarantine and got on a bit of a fantasy kick. Finished the Malazan series over the last 9 months or so. I’m going to take a break before reading the two available prequel books. If you love epic fantasy and are willing to invest in a long, dense series Malazan is well worth it. The author is an anthropologist by training and it shows in his examination and treatment of society and the lore.

Also read the two Kingkiller Chronicle books that are out, The Color of Law about systemic racial issues, white fragility, A Room With a View (not for me but it was on my shelf and I hadn’t read it).

Currently working on the Traitor Baru Cormorant and when this is done will finish the First Law trilogy. I primarily got into the First Law because I kept reading Best Served Cold is one of the best standalone novels in the fantasy genre but you really need to knock out the trilogy first. Definitely enjoying the series though.

Also bought Empire City (by Irish) and have it on my kindle. Gonna dig into that soon - just not someone who is good at reading multiple books at a time.

Anyone read the Broken Earth trilogy by Jemisen? I have the first book but haven’t read it yet. It doesn’t seem like something I would enjoy that much.

y'all should check out the Three-Body Problem if u sci fi

reading Neuromancer rn.

I liked three body but it didn’t really make me wanna read the rest of the series

Also bought Empire City (by Irish) and have it on my kindle. Gonna dig into that soon - just not someone who is good at reading multiple books at a time.

Anyone read the Broken Earth trilogy by Jemisen? I have the first book but haven’t read it yet. It doesn’t seem like something I would enjoy that much.

I liked Broken Earth quite a bit, but if you don't like the first one no need to keep going. Lies of Locke Lamora is a fun read if you haven't checked that one out yet.

Got halfway through the first book and put it down. Really didn't care for its style, in particular all the 2nd person narration.

I’ve read Lies of Locke Lamora and have Red Seas Under Red Skies on my bookshelf. Also got through the three Stormlight Archive books over the last year. Not a huge fan of Sanderson’s writing style (or his avoidance of certain adult themes) but it’s a great story.

Any other series in this area that y’all think are a must read? I’ve thought about reading a few Discworld books. Read American Gods by Gaiman and didn’t really enjoy it as much as a lot of others seem to

If you haven't read the Machineries of Empire series, seems like you'd like it based on these other books you're mentioning. cookoutdeac has been pushing me to check out the Hyperion Cantos. I still have a decent stack on my bookshelf to get through.

Back