• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Leaving the South Bucket List

lexington_bbq_web.jpg

Putting Lexington and Barbeque in the same sentence is an oxymoron. (Unless you are saying "I have got to get my ass out of Lexington and on down to Goldsboro to get some real Q" :)

Last edited:
Take the Atlanta Tittie-Bar Tour, ending at the Clermont Lounge followed by a meal at the Waffle House.

Putting Lexington and Barbeque in the same sentence is an oxymoron. (Unless you are saying "I have got to get my ass out of Lexington and on down to Goldsboro to get some real Q" :)

Dammit Denver, you live in Ofuckinghio. You have chili on spaghetti. Back off the LBBQ and having a freaking drink for crying out loud. It's almost 5 my time.

Enjoy Spring, Summer and Fall. You'll have plenty of winter up there.

After growing up in the South and attending WF I moved to the Kansas/Iowa for 3 years. Missed the beach and mountains the most. Also, definitely missed real bbq and any sort of fried chicken and home cookin' that wasn't fucking KFC.

Dammit Denver, you live in Ofuckinghio. You have chili on spaghetti. Back off the LBBQ and having a freaking drink for crying out loud. It's almost 5 my time.

If you would put down the Jamesons, you would realize we are on the same time zone. Anybody that puts ketchup in their sauce deserves to be pilloried. Communist as far as I can tell. Did not realize you were from that part of the state.

:)

After growing up in the South and attending WF I moved to the Kansas/Iowa for 3 years. Missed the beach and mountains the most. Also, definitely missed real bbq and any sort of fried chicken and home cookin' that wasn't fucking KFC.

Absolutely. From NC, moved to Michigan and lived there 10 years. My advice is get to the mountains, get to the ocean, eat lots of fresh seafood before you go. There was no good bbq in Michigan, except for the occasional street cooker in Detroit (although I betcha Chicago has plenty of good Q). You will miss the mountains and the beach. They will try to tell you that the Great Lakes are as good as the ocean. You will go and find out that is not so. You will find yourself going back to the coast and bringing back frozen seafood, and bbq from the south. At least they have good pizza in Chicago, Michigan pizza is conveyor belt style. I once went to Philly and brought back a 16" pizza in my suitcase I was so starved for good pizza. Hopefully, you won't get any comments like I got from my boss on my first day of work: "How do you expect to talk to Michigan students with that southern accent?". Expect sports radio jocks to make lots of stupid southerner references. Beware of people who talk about "midwestern values", which I realized just equated to narrow minded thinking.

Okay, enough negativity. On the plus side Chicago is terrific, Toronto is driveable, summers are great, Madison is a fun town, and Milwaukee as well. You will never run out of things to do in Chicago, and while it can get blustery cold, that can be fun as well if you have the right attitude. And get out of town and explore, there are some great small towns in the midwest, although don't expect a lot of diversity in them. Embrace your new area and roll with the punches. See you back in the south when you get older.

You need to wake up one morning and hit up Bojangles on your way to floating a river. On the way home pick up some cookout and a bottle of bourbon and go find a porch with some rocking chairs and listen to music while grilling out. Hit the town that night and make a late night waffle house stop.

What a great list of 'to do's'. There's still quite a few that I need to do while I can.
I've lived in the South for a long time, but I've also lived other places.....northeast, midwest, England. Totally agree with all the comments about missing the beach and the mountains as well as lots of local/unique food, drink and activities.
At the same time, everwhere you go, you can find some pretty fun/interesting things to do.

You gotta hit up B's barbecue in Greenville, which will be easy to do after you drive to the beach to camp out and go surf fishing. To make that trip complete you need to drive there and back shirtless, and get a ridiculous sunburn with glasses on, which looks something like this:

jax-chad-tanlines.jpg

Chicago had a ton of hot ass when I was there earlier this month.

Back