• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shoulder/Rotator cuff Injury

DieHardDeacon

Reaction score
Has anyone had a shoulder/rotator cuff injury? How long did it take for you to recover?

With surgical repair or not? I dislocated mine and tore my labrum. Never had surgery, and it still flares up when I'm lifting heavy things.

Not sure - messed mine up last week and just thought it was over exerted muscle fatigue. Now I can't lift my arm past 4 o'clock on its own. Soonest I can get into the doctors is Monday morning.

I tore mine playing flag football back in college, and never got it fixed. When it does flare up, I have to get a steroid injection to tone it down. My orthopedist has basically said without surgically repairing it, I'll never be able to do another pullup. Randy from Almost Gold is who I saw originally and he set me up for an MRI. If you call him, he may be able to work you in. Unless it's grossly torn, that'll be the best option to diagnose what's going on.

rotator cuff injuries are really difficult to heal...even with surgery it may never be 100% again. tore my playing softball, i think...discovered how bad it was when throwing a football at the lake but it was hurting before the lake. the lake just did the rest of the damage and i couldn't lift my arm for 2 - 3 days.

i never had surgery but it was mainly due to the location of my tear (MRI). i had to strengthen the surrounding muscles in rehab and on my own but it doesn't cause much trouble any longer but still gets that "weird" feeling time to time when putting my arm in specific angles/directions.

I had bone spurs in my right shoulder causing inflammation and pain when throwing and playing racquetball. Had them removed, it still gets sore from things like that, but at least it's better enough that I can play racquetball again. I think the general point people are making is that shoulder surgery tends to not fix the problem entirely, but it usually helps.

I had a similar experience to most people on here, but can actually speak from both sides in that I tore both of my labrums and got surgery on the one but opted to not get surgery on the other.

Shoulder is a complex joint and surgery has a long recovery time typically. My shoulder I got surgery on is better than the one I did not but it took like 2 years post surgery to get to that point. The shoulder I just rehabed gives me problems for a day after every upper-body workout but with ice, stretching, and strengthening the muscles around it you can manage the injury pretty well.

I think I may have torn my labrum 2 years ago playing softball?? I can no longer throw a football with the same velocity and force that I could prior to playing church league softball. Basically I have to short arm throws....anytime I rare back and try to really throw it, I get a sharp pinching feeling where your pec comes into your underarm. But what's odd is I have no problem doing pull ups or lifting weights. I really don't think its a rotator cuff injury, and I'm too cheap to get an MRI and/or surgery since my playing days are over. But it does suck throwing like a girl at a tailgate :(

Dislocated left shoulder and separated right shoulder. The separation, while it didn't hurt as much at the time, was way worse, and still causes issues after excessive use. Dislocation was from HS football and separation was from intramural football. Go figure.

Dislocated left shoulder jumping off the roof ot johnson with no shoes. Went to hospital, put it back in place, no issues afterwards or treatment needed.

Dislocated my shoulder during flag football, and two strong bros just popped it back in. Hurt like a bitch until they put it back in place, but then it was fine, and has been ever since.

Not sure - messed mine up last week and just thought it was over exerted muscle fatigue. Now I can't lift my arm past 4 o'clock on its own. Soonest I can get into the doctors is Monday morning.

Hmmm....best case, they'll have to amputate. Worst case....euthanize.

I didn't realize you enjoyed the pit hot guys contest THAT much, damn near ripped your arm off!

I've had a similar problem off and on for 10 years. The first time it happened, I couldn't hold my hand out for a handshake for more than a few seconds. I do some exercises for the joint, but it only flares up every 18 months or so. I don't throw footballs or baseballs anymore.

In my case I think it's due to cumulative wear and tear from throwing without proper warming up exercises, although an altercation with a drunken Wake student after the win over GT in the ACC Championship game didn't help much.

Last edited:
WFU71 - after you have a flare up, how long does it take for your shoulder to get back to normal?

Usually a few days. I think the worst one was perhaps 10 days or so. Anti inflammatories help.

my god, i opened this thread to tag with a specific reference. alas, the reference has already been made.

bravo to you, "fisting hurts" tagger.

93a29064_Slow_Clap_Your_Pokemon_is_in_danger-s400x300-291489-535.gif

Now that I think about it, I no longer sleep on that side for very long. The last few times it's flared up it comes from odd activities like reaching into the back seat from the driver's seat. It's more of a nuisance than a major problem at this point.

The shoulder is pretty complex and there seems to be a range of injuries that are called rotator cuff injuries. My bother had rotator cuff surgery following a fall. His rehab was extensive and painful which is why I decided to wait it out before seeing a doctor. When I did go to a doc he gave the script for an anti inflammatory and the exercises. You can find the exercises with a Google search, but I wouldn't try them while the joint is hurting.

LOL, talking about this makes me recognize I have a minor amount of discomfort today. Maybe I have it all of the time or maybe it's psycho semantic.

Back