• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Top 100 Recruiting since 1998

Haros

Reaction score
I've been working on something else with this data, but decided to see just where Wake's place in the ACC recruiting circles has been over the last decade plus. I'll start with 1998 (the first year of RSCI tracking) and go through 2010 (the most recent completed year).

Wake is 13th with 25 top-100 recruits since the 1998 recruiting class, per the RSCI.

UNC is first with 38 (and most of theirs in the top 50). Florida - 37 is 2nd.
Duke - 34 (3rd)
NC State - 27 (11th)
GT - 24 (15th)
FSU - 18 (24th)
Maryland - 17 (29th)
UVA - 17(29th)
Clemson - 11
Miami - 11
VT - 10
BC - 3

130 different schools have landed at least 1.

What this says to me is that Wake has been able to recruit in that second tier over the last 13 or so years, and should be able to be at least even with everyone but Duke and UNC. Hopefully we see a return to that in 2012 and beyond.

I may take a look by top 50, and look at transfers as well, as I believe Wake has had an abnormally high percentage leave early via transfer, but I haven't done that work yet.

What jumps out at me is how NC State has done so little with so much talent.

Looks like we're following the BC model in both sports.

Just to get this all in one thread:

I decided to do some research with Burger Boys and Tourney Appearances after reading the Harrison Barnes thread. I don't really know what to make of it but I gave comments at the bottom. I just thought it would be something interesting to look at and talk about. It can really go wherever people want it to.

McDonald's All-Americans and NCAA Tournament Appearances Since 2005-2006 Expansion

Boston College: 0 AA, 3 TA

Clemson: 1 AA, 4 TA

Duke: 13 AA, 6 TA

Florida State: 1 AA, 3 TA

Georgia Tech: 5 AA, 2 TA

Maryland: 0 AA, 3 TA

Miami: 0 AA, 1 TA

UNC: 16 AA, 5 TA

NC State: 2 AA, 1 TA

Virginia : 1 AA, 1 TA

Virginia Tech: 0 AA, 1 TA

Wake Forest: 1 AA, 2 TA

There have been 40 McDonald's All-Americans and 32 Tournament Appearances since the ACC expanded in 2005-2006.

Only 6 teams have had a Burger Boy and missed the tournament the next year (Georgia Tech twice, NC State twice, Virginia, North Carolina)

Every single team in the ACC has made the tournament since expansion

Georgia Tech has vastly underachieved in this time period. In fact, they are the only team to have more Burger Boys than Tourney Apps besides State (other than UNC and Duke who couldn't). Both State and Tech have been seen to "underachieve" in most people's eyes so perhaps this validates that.

UNC and Duke should NEVER miss the tournament. UNC missed the tournament the same year they had more Burger Boys than anyone else in ACC history.

Boston College and Maryland have made the tourney the most for teams with no AA's in this time period

Clemson is faring well having had only one McD AA, but 4 tourney appearances.

Wake is pretty middle of the road. One AA, 2 tourney appearances.

Any other observations are welcome!

Looks like we're following the BC model in both sports.

If CMM ends up as a top 100 commit and we land Jankovic or some other highly rated kid like Woodbury, I don't think you can fairly say this anymore. Doesn't seem like anyone's out there actively trying to find diamonds in the rough. We seem to be doing our own evaluations and sometimes the national scouts are agreeing with us (Kale Abrahamson based on articles people have linked, CMM, Jankovic), and sometimes they're not. The 2011 class appears to have some kids that we took as players to stop the bleeding from this year (Anthony Fields), so I don't think we can look to them as an affirmative statement on our recruiting strategy.

top 50 top 25
1 UNC 34 24
2 Duke 29 22
13 NC St 12 7
16 GT 10 7
20 Wake 10 2
21 FSU 12 3
32 Maryland 8 2
34 UVA 8 1
43 Miami 3 2
56 Clemson 1 1
63 VT 0 0
90 BC 0 0

There is the top 25 and 50. Wake rarely gets 5-star players, but the two we have landed (Paul/Aminu) have been incredible. Every once in a while, we get lucky on players like Johnson (#43) and Teague (#58) as well, though a strong argument can be made we were unlucky there. What has killed us is attrition.

Since the signing of the 2003 class, 6 of our 16 top 100 recruits have transferred from Wake, including 3 top 50 guys. (Ingram, Swinton, Gurley, Skeen, Woods, Stewart). Another four have left after exactly two years to go to the NBA. That leaves just 6 top 100 guys that have not left early over that entire span. David Weaver is the only one of those 6 to actually complete the task of staying that long. The other 5 (Walker, Mckie, Terrell, Desrosiers, and Tabb) were all part of last year's team, and we cannot draw a full conclusion on them yet. That is a much higher rate of attrition than most, and we don't have the luxury of a Duke/UNC to lose that many guys early, because we don't have the horses behind them as can be seen above.

What is does go to show is that we can and should be able to continue recruiting top 100 players and even top 50 guys at the level of everyone but UNC and Duke. What it also shows is that showing a little more discretion in exactly who we recruit could help us if these players are able to stick around longer in order to make a better impact.

As to [Redacted], as long as the guys he lands aren't true sleepers and he's identifying good talent early, his long-term vision could be a great fit. The greatest worry, of course, is whether the guys he's targeting are true top 100 talent with the occasional top 50 guy. As I said before, hopefully the 2012 guys and beyond fit that bill.

Back