• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hawaii

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
I've never been there. We're thinking about taking a family vacation (one pre-teen, two teenagers, me and my wife) there next summer. Any thoughts on which island would the best destination for us? We're coming from CLT. Thanks.

Gonna need to know what you are looking for. High end shopping? Oahu. Adventure? Kauai or Maui. Know that the big island does not have as many beaches as the others.

Good questions. Love the beach, but we certainly won't want to spend 10 days there - though nice beaches will be important to us. I'm sure shopping will be appreciated as well.

Oahu has pearl harbor, north shore, punchbowl, international market, waikiki, honolulu, hananamu bay for snorkeling, diamondhead. basically everything you'd want.

If you get to Lanai, wear an Oracle shirt. You may get a discount from the new owner.

Oahu has pearl harbor, north shore, punchbowl, international market, waikiki, honolulu, hananamu bay for snorkeling, diamondhead. basically everything you'd want.

All that plus terrible traffic. Why go all the way to Hawaii to be stuck in traffic jams?

Maui all the way. A good mix of beaches, activities, sights, adventures, restaurants and shopping.

We're going to need some more info. What is your glory hole experience to date? Very experienced? Somewhat experienced? A dabbler? For your kids, will this be their first time? If so, I agree with your line of thought -- no better place to get their feet wet than in Hawaii. Second most popular destination for fathers and sons after Cooperstown.

how is your balance lately? tension could be holding you back from realizing your potential. are you feeling in synch with nature? I would seek the chupacabra, but I don't think you are ready yet.

All that plus terrible traffic. Why go all the way to Hawaii to be stuck in traffic jams?

Maui all the way. A good mix of beaches, activities, sights, adventures, restaurants and shopping.

Agree with this. Maui is great. Lahaina is a cool town. Kaanapali is a good place to stay

I would go to Maui but the traffic on Oahu is really not that bad.

This might be the most fun place I have ever been

Is Hawaii so much better than places in the Caribbean that it justifies the extra cost/travel time? Honest question.

If you live on the West coast it is cheaper to go to Hawaii then the Caribbean. I've been to Hawaii 8 times or so mostly because I can get a plane ticket to Oahu for $350-400. In the Caribbean I have been to: Cayman Islands, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas & St. John, Jamaica, Dominican Republic. The Caribbean is incredibly varied as far as the islands and things you can do, but there is a lot of variety within each Hawaiian island. In Hawaii you are not going to see small children begging and some of the other things you might see in a place like Jamaica.

Last edited:
Went to Maui 2 summers ago and loved it. Didn't island hop at all, so I don't know much about the other islands. Maui was amazing, though. Look forward to going back again.

Also, if you go to the Caribbean in the summer you are risking hurricanes, which are less of a concern in Hawaii. On the flip side, you can gamble in some parts of the Caribbean and there are no slot machines in Hawaii. Also in Aruba you can murder a woman and get away with it. Your call.

Last edited:
itk you and me should take a vacation together sometime. Amsterdam maybe, or wherever that bootleg fireworks jesus guy lives.

I never can decide whether I like Maui or Kauai better. Maui has the "Road to Hana", Mt Haleakala, Makena Beach, Lahaina & Molokini that we really like. Kauai is probably even more beautiful, in my opinion, and we really enjoy the Napoli Coast and the Waimea Canyon.

I guess if one is a first time visitor and had to choose between the two, I would have to give the edge to Maui......but you can't go wrong with either one of them.

(Take plenty of money.)

This statement from BKF cracks me up.

Siff, I've done Hawaii 4x. I'll email my thoughts, but basically start on Oahu and end on Maui. Go for 10 days or more if you can. Kauai is by far my favorite island, but the kids would probably prefer Maui.

Jet lag is going to kick your butt which is why I start on Oahu at The Hilton Hawaiian Village and do Pearl early. Three nights there will let you see pretty much all you wan to see on Oahu. More later.

Siff, I've done Hawaii 4x. I'll email my thoughts, but basically start on Oahu and end on Maui. Go for 10 days or more if you can. Kauai is by far my favorite island, but the kids would probably prefer Maui.

Jet lag is going to kick your butt which is why I start on Oahu at The Hilton Hawaiian Village and do Pearl early. Three nights there will let you see pretty much all you wan to see on Oahu. More later.

Thank you sir. I really appreciate it. We've gone from a Euro cruise to Hawaii...I'm bummed because I really want to go to Europe next year, but there are good reasons why we're going to postpone that trip. My wife and kids have always wanted to go to Hawaii, so that seems to have momentum right now. We're actually thinking about leaving on July 3rd next year, which is a Wednesday, and coming back on the 13th - it's hard for me to take a full two weeks off, but doing it this way includes the 4th of July and means I have to take fewer days off. Thanks to everyone (well, most everyone) here for the help.

Back