• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kill the Farm Bill

923 - I don't support either bill really. Insurance programs are fine but they won't help good farmers because we beat the averages anyway.

I can tell you that there is no way that direct payments and counter cyclical survive. Obama won't sign it even if it did. Would be a political disaster. The insurance program basically provides a safety net for good farmers. I would obviously love more but it isn't going to happen. There are going to be farmers that game the system but that just means they need better enforcement. When you have a drought like Iowa is having you need a fallback. There is no other industry that can be decimated on a yearly basis simply because of lack of rain. And definitely not a single industry that is so key to our economical security.

Insurance option is a decent compromise between what farmers want and what is financially practical. By all means take away the small safety net farmers have and watch over half of the corn belt go belly up this year. That is not good for our economy because turnover in farming is bad. It takes years to learn a piece of land. Changing owners is not a zero sum game. You want consistency and the only way to provide that is through a safety net.

Again - we are talking about less than 5% of a bill and yet it gets 99% of the discussion. You also act like the money output is the same. It is not. I spoke directly with the president of the cotton council about 9 months ago when this was in the planning stages and he specifically said we were going to be dealing with a lot less money (don't have the numbers in front of me and wouldn't share if I did as it was confidential).

Farmers are already getting hammered. In 2009 about 1/4 of the farmers in my area went belly up because of bad harvest weather. Come work on a farm for a summer and see just how much fun we are having rolling around in government funded dollar bill mattresses. It is hot, volatile, difficult, and precise work.

If there is an industry that needs government support it is most certainly farming.

923 - I don't support either bill really. Insurance programs are fine but they won't help good farmers because we beat the averages anyway.

I can tell you that there is no way that direct payments and counter cyclical survive. Obama won't sign it even if it did. Would be a political disaster. The insurance program basically provides a safety net for good farmers. I would obviously love more but it isn't going to happen. There are going to be farmers that game the system but that just means they need better enforcement. When you have a drought like Iowa is having you need a fallback. There is no other industry that can be decimated on a yearly basis simply because of lack of rain. And definitely not a single industry that is so key to our economical security.

Insurance option is a decent compromise between what farmers want and what is financially practical. By all means take away the small safety net farmers have and watch over half of the corn belt go belly up this year. That is not good for our economy because turnover in farming is bad. It takes years to learn a piece of land. Changing owners is not a zero sum game. You want consistency and the only way to provide that is through a safety net.

Again - we are talking about less than 5% of a bill and yet it gets 99% of the discussion. You also act like the money output is the same. It is not. I spoke directly with the president of the cotton council about 9 months ago when this was in the planning stages and he specifically said we were going to be dealing with a lot less money (don't have the numbers in front of me and wouldn't share if I did as it was confidential).

Farmers are already getting hammered. In 2009 about 1/4 of the farmers in my area went belly up because of bad harvest weather. Come work on a farm for a summer and see just how much fun we are having rolling around in government funded dollar bill mattresses. It is hot, volatile, difficult, and precise work.

If there is an industry that needs government support it is most certainly farming.

I grew up on a farm. I am not unsympathetic to farmers or farming. There is a place for crop insurance if it is well designed, but I think there is an argument to be made that the free market can handle the insurance without government support. It hasn't been tried.

I am unsympathetic to direct subsidies and price supports (which, by the way, are still going to be around for sugar farmers under the Senate bill, and don't forget the ethanol mandate that is still artificially inflating the price of corn) precisely BECAUSE of my farm experience. I grew up on a tobacco farm. There were price controls and supports and quotas. Those were removed about 10 years ago. And now, as linked in my OP, tobacco farmers are booming. The big tobacco companies came in and eliminated most of the middle men in the trade so the whole thing runs more efficiently. The good farmers can grow as much as they can get a contract for and have certainty up front that there will be a market. The bad farmers and unlucky farmers and frankly a lot of the smaller farmers dropped out, but that's capitalism - every industry goes through consolidation if the market is allowed to work.

Direct payments are gone and aren't coming back. Crop insurance is a necessary program in my opinion. Corn is not tobacco. We need it to survive. If the tobacco market fails our economy won't
Miss a beat.

What you called for is the elimination of a bill that 80% is aid for the lower class in the form of nutrition, butane your case on the 4% that is an insurance program for crop failure.

You obviously have some experience but it is a weak argument.

Direct payments are gone and aren't coming back. Crop insurance is a necessary program in my opinion. Corn is not tobacco. We need it to survive. If the tobacco market fails our economy won't
Miss a beat.

What you called for is the elimination of a bill that 80% is aid for the lower class in the form of nutrition, butane your case on the 4% that is an insurance program for crop failure.

You obviously have some experience but it is a weak argument.

With all due respect, if you believe this reflects my position, you have not read my posts on this thread. Not that I blame you, it's a long thread with like 10 different arguments.

I will admit that I have skimmed through a lot of the posts. Thread got hijacked by mortgage interest deduction.

Back