• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

It doesn't affect our progress in the least. It's not like these 46% are biologists. Everybody believed in creationism at some point, and yet we somehow managed to progress.

If we suck at science, it's because our schools suck at science and not because somebody chooses to believe that God created man.

You can't say schools suck at science and that's the reason why we are falling so behind in the STEM fields, when the rest of the world doesn't have the uphill battle of first trying to get it in the heads of students that the earth wasn't created 6,000 years ago, evolution exists, and so on. Not to mention it indirectly has consequences on everyone (not turning political) because these people can vote. So since the theories of evolution, earth age and such are taught and it goes contradictory to what lil johnny has been hearing all his life he becomes doubtful of all things science. Its how easily things like anti-vaccine crowds develop in our country.

Like I said earlier to believe that God created everything and put things into motion, and that he is what gave us purpose in life is fine. Its when you blatantly reject proven scientific thought and data to fit your belief when problems arise. Like before I don't know what the solution is. Science has a very bad PR department and needs better spokesman. The problem is that it is complicated as shit. Things found in magazines like Scientific America and Discover are about as dumb down as you can get and for the majority of people even that is going to be over the top. We are talking about a general population with a reading level somewhere in the range of 5th grade. So what is easier for them to latch onto, complicated radioactive isotope decay determining the earth is 4 billion years old or what they have been hearing all their life, God did it.

You can't say schools suck at science and that's the reason why we are falling so behind in the STEM fields, when the rest of the world doesn't have the uphill battle of first trying to get it in the heads of students that the earth wasn't created 6,000 years ago, evolution exists, and so on. Not to mention it indirectly has consequences on everyone (not turning political) because these people can vote. So since the theories of evolution, earth age and such are taught and it goes contradictory to what lil johnny has been hearing all his life he becomes doubtful of all things science. Its how easily things like anti-vaccine crowds develop in our country.

Like I said earlier to believe that God created everything and put things into motion, and that he is what gave us purpose in life is fine. Its when you blatantly reject proven scientific thought and data to fit your belief when problems arise. Like before I don't know what the solution is. Science has a very bad PR department and needs better spokesman. The problem is that it is complicated as shit. Things found in magazines like Scientific America and Discover are about as dumb down as you can get and for the majority of people even that is going to be over the top. We are talking about a general population with a reading level somewhere in the range of 5th grade. So what is easier for them to latch onto, complicated radioactive isotope decay determining the earth is 4 billion years old or what they have been hearing all their life, God did it.

This is interesting and likewise frustrates me. However, all my life, science and geniuses and astronomers and teachers told me there were 9 planets in our solar system. A few years ago, they all said they were wrong. Pluto got kicked out of the club.

Science is based on theory that can possibly become fact. Sometimes down the road, facts can be changed to non-fact (ex-fact ??). (Personally, this is one of the reasons I love science…it’s exciting)

It's all part of a process. An evolution. Science rarely proves something for infinity. With this in mind, I get frustrated when science-minded people tell me that the facts are undeniably X, Y and Z. In 30 years, who knows what those facts could be. For heaven's sake, we are discovering the Higgs Boson and making tremendous leaps in physics from where we were 10 years ago!

We are learning and advancing so much for someone (scientist or otherwise) to concretely state any (or most) facts about science.

This is interesting and likewise frustrates me. However, all my life, science and geniuses and astronomers and teachers told me there were 9 planets in our solar system. A few years ago, they all said they were wrong. Pluto got kicked out of the club.

Science is based on theory that can possibly become fact. Sometimes down the road, facts can be changed to non-fact (ex-fact ??). (Personally, this is one of the reasons I love science…it’s exciting)

It's all part of a process. An evolution. Science rarely proves something for infinity. With this in mind, I get frustrated when science-minded people tell me that the facts are undeniably X, Y and Z. In 30 years, who knows what those facts could be. For heaven's sake, we are discovering the Higgs Boson and making tremendous leaps in physics from where we were 10 years ago!

We are learning and advancing so much for someone (scientist or otherwise) to concretely state any (or most) facts about science.

One thing I have learned in my time as a toxicologist is that the more experienced you are, the more that you realize that you don't know much. Basically, you know nothing when you start working. Then you spend years learning, training and getting certified. All of a sudden you think you are a genius because you "know how things work." After awhile, you realize that things are much more complex than the initial models that you were taught and that it is almost impossible to talk in certainties; instead everything becomes likelihoods.

330px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

Seems to me that both evolutionists and
creationists are all left with the same problem: how did it start?

Where did the particles in the universe come from? Where did God come from?

Regardless of how far you go back, those are tough questions to answer.

I get your point but this is a very shitty example....it's just a classification issue, nothing about Pluto has changed, we have just altered our definition of requirements to be classified as a planet.....that's not a matter of something going from being a fact to a non-fact/ex-fact, it's just an evolving method of identifying our surroundings....nothing about the surroundings are actually changing but the way we identify or classify them may be, which isn't a matter of facts being disproved or wrong.

Seems to me that both evolutionists and
creationists are all left with the same problem: how did it start?

Where did the particles in the universe come from? Where did God come from?

Regardless of how far you go back, those are tough questions to answer.

They are merely questions that haven't been answered yet. Those with religious leanings believe that eventually we'll discover that god created the universe and why he exists. I believe that we'll most certainly find a scientific explanation that doesn't involve a supernatural power. Of course, each side already has theories to answer all of these questions.

Your average person grossly misunderstands science, but the Bible gives an easy answer that you can wrap up neatly with a bow. It's a matter of intellectual laziness. These are the people who ask "Well, if we came from monkeys, why are monkeys still around? TAKE THAT, ATHEIST!" Then my head hurts and I have to lie down and resist the urge to choke a bitch.

They are merely questions that haven't been answered yet. Those with religious leanings believe that eventually we'll discover that god created the universe and why he exists. I believe that we'll most certainly find a scientific explanation that doesn't involve a supernatural power. Of course, each side already has theories to answer all of these questions.

Ultimately the origin will still involve something from nothing, will it not?

Ultimately the origin will still involve something from nothing, will it not?

yeah, that's where i always get hung up in trying to tie it back to science. my noobish brain hangs on pretty tight to conservation of energy and conservation of matter and can't figure out how all the sudden there just was all of this stuff without some sort of metaphysical explanation.

I honestly don't understand how anyone that has been to high school can have a strict view of creationism. I get that people want to believe in creationism and I can understand "hybrid" creationistic ideas, but to really believe that the world is less than 10k years old and there was a great flood....really?

I honestly don't understand how anyone that has been to high school can have a strict view of creationism. I get that people want to believe in creationism and I can understand "hybrid" creationistic ideas, but to really believe that the world is less than 10k years old and there was a great flood....really?

IMO, it's an intentional denial. For most folks, religion can be a house of cards, and religious folks tend to insulate and avoid any conflicting views.

My favorite quote I've heard from this debate lately came from an interview with a guy running an atheist summer camp. They asked him did he ever read the bible and did he encourage others to read it. His response was something along the lines, "Of course I encourage people to read the bible. One of the best ways to decide on being an atheist is to actually study the bible."

a surprising amount of push back from the boards community. kind of sad.

Years ago, when I first remember creationism being a topic on the Wake boards, my heart sank when I saw WFU educated people arguing for strict creationism. It was that moment where i stopped assuming that a WFU degree meant educated and intellectual.

My favorite quote I've heard from this debate lately came from an interview with a guy running an atheist summer camp. They asked him did he ever read the bible and did he encourage others to read it. His response was something along the lines, "Of course I encourage people to read the bible. One of the best ways to decide on being an atheist is to actually study the bible."

Ha, true! You're like "this thing is just a really old book of fables like any other really old book of fables, except white people love this shit."

I find it fascinating that people will distrust science to the extent that they can actually believe we're incapable of determining whether the earth is more than 6,000 years old... But fuck it strap 'em to a chair and let a magic computer invoke a laser beam to slice open a flap in their cornea and burn off tissue inside your moving eyeball so you can go to the Orange Park mall and watch Adam Sandler flicks without glasses.

Where's a Louis CK diatribe when you need one...

It doesn't affect our progress in the least (1). It's not like these 46% are biologists (2). Everybody believed in creationism at some point, and yet we somehow managed to progress (3).

If we suck at science, it's because our schools suck at science and not because somebody chooses to believe that God created man.

(1) It affects our progress, for example, when elected officials who believe creationism is fact vote to cut funding to grant-providing bodies that sponsor research that says otherwise, failing to see the enormous return on investment bodies like NASA, the NSF, and the NIH have provided. That's just one modern-day, US-based example (and I will not comment on it further because this is not the tunnels). In times past, those in power would simply execute you for suggesting anything counter to the biblical view of cosmology (see Galileo as one prominent example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair).

(2) Wouldn't more people choose to become scientists if creationism wasn't so ingrained in their upbringing and education? I think so. There's a lot to study about nature and its origins that's easy to dismiss when you're taught that the answer is simply "God did it." (I realize this last statement is somewhat facile, and I mean it without offense, but I still believe that's what my own religious upbringing reduced to)

(3) We've progressed despite the influence of creationism, yes. But think of where we could be in our understanding of nature today. I'm positive that were it not for the literally fatal taboo of publishing one's scientific results during the dark ages until the enlightenment we'd be so, so, so much more advanced. Hoverboards by 2015, amiright? But seriously, it's pretty difficult to believe that many would-be scientists and thinkers weren't forced "into the closet" by the religious pressures of the times.

Last edited:
Back