• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suspended License Help

IamThunderbolt

Reaction score
A Little help

My wife got a speeding ticket out of state over a year ago and we received a letter today that her NC driver's license will be suspended for 30 days. It gives a weeks notice.

It has scant details about a preliminary hearing option

so a couple of questions:

1) how difficult is it to win a preliminary hearing and keep one's license

2) If this is not really an option, what steps/how easy is it to request a restricted license so my wife can still drive to work?

I don't practice in NC, so I'd definitely recommend you talking to a traffic lawyer in NC ASAP.

But in GA, if you lose your license based on points, you can go to a driver improvement class one weekend and get your point count wiped clean. You can do this once every 5 years.

Worst case scenario, you'd have to hire a lawyer in the State where your wife got her original ticket to withdraw her guilty plea, and then plead guilty to something like 9 mph over the speed limit (in Georgia you're OK if you're 14 mph over but I understand NC laws are much stricter), and then have the lawyer send a certified copy of the plea withdrawal to NC DMV for them to correct her record.

She has the right to a hearing. If you request the hearing, that will at least delay the suspension until the hearing. Also, she should be eligible to get a privilege that will allow her to drive to and from work if she hasn't had any other moving violations in the last year.

The whole 15 mph speeding ticket license revocation thing is such BS in NC.

I don't know what the long-term ramifications of having your license suspended are, but I'd probably just keep driving (minimized to only drive to work and other necessary things) and be careful.

But then, I'm young and probably a little bit dumb.

I don't know what the long-term ramifications of having your license suspended are, but I'd probably just keep driving (minimized to only drive to work and other necessary things) and be careful.

But then, I'm young and probably a little bit dumb.

This s horrible advice.

The same thing that happened to your wife happened to me 15 years ago. I failed the hearing...my license was suspended. I had to get a lawyer who talked to another lawyer in the offending state (Fla) and got the judgment whipped clean. After that I got my license back.

See what happens when you let your wife out of the kitchen?

I hope you've learned your lesson.

The last time I went to have my license renewed in DC I was informed that I couldn't get my license renewed because I had an outstanding issue in NC dating back to 1995 when I was in highschool. I sweettalked the girl at the DMV to let me get my license anyway. But apparently I haven't been allowed to drive in NC in 16 years, which includes my 4 years at Wake, and 3 or 4 speeding tickets in NC with no incident. I called the NC DMV to confirm and they confirmed that I had no license but couldn't explain to me to my satisfaction as to why.

See what happens when you let your wife out of the kitchen?

I hope you've learned your lesson.

Your response is offensive to line cooks. You are hereby banned from diners for seventeen days.

Your response is offensive to line cooks. You are hereby banned from diners for seventeen days.

Awwww, setting up his own (weak) joke...how cute.

Definitely not surprised that my advice was poor. I based it on the fact that there have to be at least 30 days in my life where I've driven and not has my license with me. I guess that's probably not nearly as punishable an offense, though, if I were to get caught.

Driving without a license and driving without your license in the car are two completely different things.

so we've requested a preliminary hearing

does anyone have any lawyer recommendations?

We tried the lawyer we've used for a speeding ticket before and he doesn't handle these hearings.

Also, do I need to try to find representation in Raleigh or will a local lawyer work?

so we've requested a preliminary hearing

does anyone have any lawyer recommendations?

We tried the lawyer we've used for a speeding ticket before and he doesn't handle these hearings.

Also, do I need to try to find representation in Raleigh or will a local lawyer work?

I've recommended Billy Craig before, he's done well for me.

there's a dentist somewhere who will need this soon

Back