• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offense, Offensive line, etc

JimDuncan

Reaction score
Perhaps just me, but I'm very concerned about our offense.

I heard early on "We'll stick with one offense this year" and yet we didn't do squat in the spring game (so I've read).

Also, I HATE THE READ OPTION OUT OF THE SHOTGUN!

I don't mind it every now and again, but Cam Newton and LaMichael James do not go to WFU. I'd rather go under center and run a bit more mis-direction or at least hand it to Josh after he's started moving downhill. I hate that the read option out of the shotgun is a static start for the RB to get handed the football.

Very worried about our offensive line.

Yeah, pretty much. My only hope for a decent offense is the new WR coach. Otherwise, same old, same old. The problem isn't just the multiple offenses. That just compounds the fact the first one doesn't work. And that's an OC problem.

I think the defense has a huge advantage as the QB/RB stand still 3 yards behind the line during the "read" of the read option from the shotgun.

The triple option happens so fast and the fact that the reads are shrouded behind the offensive line makes it that much harder to react to as a defensive player. Next thing you know the fullback is 3 yards downfield before you even know he was handed the ball (at least when blocked correctly).

Where's the running game we used to see back in '04-'06????

Our esteemed OC had Riley Skinner running 3rd string entering the 2006 season and Tim Billings is the one who strongly encouraged Kenny Moore be moved to tailback mid-season during 2006.

Until we hire a new OC, history will repeat itself.

I think the defense has a huge advantage as the QB/RB stand still 3 yards behind the line during the "read" of the read option from the shotgun.

Exactly. Unless you have a great athlete at QB, running so much read option just turns the offense into the reactionary unit on the field.

Our esteemed OC had Riley Skinner running 3rd string entering the 2006 season and Tim Billings is the one who strongly encouraged Kenny Moore be moved to tailback mid-season during 2006.

Until we hire a new OC, history will repeat itself.

That move was entirely out necessity, and worked out very well imo.

The triple option happens so fast and the fact that the reads are shrouded behind the offensive line makes it that much harder to react to as a defensive player. Next thing you know the fullback is 3 yards downfield before you even know he was handed the ball (at least when blocked correctly).

Where's the running game we used to see back in '04-'06????

You mean 2002-2005 and the answer is he's a grad assistant now.

It's amazing how much little pub he received as ACC's all time leading rusher.

For better or worse, I wasn't able to make it out to practices this spring, and the weather (and laziness) scared me away from the spring game this afternoon. As a result, my opinions are based on the reports of others, notably Dan Collins and our own Oracle.

That being said, every single thing I read about the team this spring (including quotes from Grobe himself) indicated very little offensive firepower. Sure, Harris has the ability to break off some big runs and occasionally Price will find someone for 20-30 yards, but the defense appeared to dominate the offense all spring.

I guess I'd like to think that we have some incredible defense that's going to dominate the ACC this fall, but I'm having a lot of trouble convincing myself that's a legitimate possibility. More likely, I think we have a middle-of-the pack defense with an offense still stuck in the bottom half.

I agree with those who dont like the option out of the shotgun, but I've had a bias for a veer (triple option) out of the I dating back to my days playing high school football.

I guess, with the right pieces in place, the read option can work in the shotgun, but I'm not convinced Wake has the talent in place on the line or in the backfield to really be successful with it.

Harris is mad talented and Tanner ran for 1000+ in his senior year in Austin. Still I can't stand our read option and draw plays all from the shotgun.

JUST GET UP THERE AND POUND IT.

The shotgun nonsense is too cute.

The o-line was the biggest problem area that I saw out there today. We've got to be more consistent in our pass blocking in particular.

27 - I love the deacs, but I really don't like the read option every other play.

Back