• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Senate Republicans kill veterans jobs bill

Of course these vets who spilled their blood for America are part of Mitt's moocher class. The group that Faux News is now agreeing with Mitt on.

“I introduced a substitute amendment because I felt the Democrats’ bill was more focused on their electoral desires than actual real-world outcomes for veterans,” Burr said.

In a bid to attract GOP support, Murray incorporated all of Burr’s proposals and those of several other Republicans, including measures that would improve veterans’ access to Internet tools to find jobs, and make it easier for troops leaving military service to get transition training for civilian life.

WTF

Clearly the Democrats are just compromising to get re-elected. Can you imagine if they pull off compromising AND getting the bill passed?

They must be stopped.

Send troops to two wars that will definitely run up the deficit a massive amount = good
Provide those same troops with help finding jobs that might increase the deficit = bad

Nice.

It must be about the money. After all the entire five year program does cost about the same as 14-16 hours of one day of the DOD budget.

The second their military service is over, they become worthless lazy bum.

Perfect example of why I'm pessimistic about the future if Obama wins. In the old days, even as a lame duck, Obama would have been able to work together to get some positive legislation passed. If he wins the election again, that's just going to piss off the Pubs even more, and there will be monumental lack of bipartisanship. Their mission will be to ruin the Obama Presidency. Honestly, if these chickenhawks can't do something for veterans, I'm pessimistic anything will ever get done the next 4.5 years.

Hopefully, Senate Dems will sack up and kill the 60 vote rules. They can do it with a simply up/down vote during the lame duck session. There is nothing the GOP can do to stop it.

Perfect example of why I'm pessimistic about the future if Obama wins. In the old days, even as a lame duck, Obama would have been able to work together to get some positive legislation passed. If he wins the election again, that's just going to piss off the Pubs even more, and there will be monumental lack of bipartisanship. Their mission will be to ruin the Obama Presidency. Honestly, if these chickenhawks can't do something for veterans, I'm pessimistic anything will ever get done the next 4.5 years.

So what is your solution? Reward the tactics of Pubs by voting for Romney? That would only encourage them to do it in the future.

The abuse of the filibuster is beyond ridiculous at this point.

They had to go from 67 to 60 in 1975 because of what was then perceived as "abuse" of the cloture rule. It's way, way past due to be lowered again.

Why do you think that, LK? Why is a majority not enough in your opinion?

Because I want a bill to require at least some support from the other side. It's a nice little system of checks and balances.

Because I want a bill to require at least some support from the other side. It's a nice little system of checks and balances.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but aren't elections the check and balance on this process?

Prevents tyranny of the majority. I like the fillibuster, but I think it needs fixed. I don't like being able to do so without actually speaking.

The hammer will come down on the Republican party soon. Obama has dealt with this petty obstructionism like a chance, but round two is going to get ugly. Pubs can't burn this many bridges...

And Richard Burr is a chump. He always has been and always will be. He's not Virginia Foxx-levels of embarrassing, but he's not a good senator and is a terrible representative of the old north state when stuff like this comes to light.

Back