• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney on 47%: "I was completely wrong."

The right was not staying home, no matter what. That was Romney's major miscalculation, should he lose.

I agree with you on the extremists, but there were enough who mistrusted him that if he was "soft", I think there would have been seepage.

The right was not staying home, no matter what. That was Romney's major miscalculation, should he lose.

Pretty much, yeah. They still would have mostly turned out to vote against Obama no matter who the Pub candidate was.

But I still don't get his defenses of the comment for 2-3 days after it aired. Literally, all he had to do was say he messed up his 47%ers. Say that approximately 47% was gonna vote for Obama and 47% for him, and they each had to vie for the remaining 6% - which is why he's spending his time and effort on that 6% of undecided voters, not the 47% already voting for Obama. But that Obama 47% was different from the 47% who pay no FIT, recognizing that much of his base is in that latter 47% and that he certainly didn't mean to upset those low-middle income parents and retired persons who will be turning out to vote for him. Done, and much of the initial damage undone. I still believe it was his defense of the comments that damaged him much more than the initial comments.

And the initial defense of those comments is what's going to scuttle his current attempt to own his mistake. What happened between those two statements? A drop in the polls. Which makes the apology wring completely hollow.

Pretty much, yeah. They still would have mostly turned out to vote against Obama no matter who the Pub candidate was.

But I still don't get his defenses of the comment for 2-3 days after it aired. Literally, all he had to do was say he messed up his 47%ers. Say that approximately 47% was gonna vote for Obama and 47% for him, and they each had to vie for the remaining 6% - which is why he's spending his time and effort on that 6% of undecided voters, not the 47% already voting for Obama. But that Obama 47% was different from the 47% who pay no FIT, recognizing that much of his base is in that latter 47% and that he certainly didn't mean to upset those low-middle income parents and retired persons who will be turning out to vote for him. Done, and much of the initial damage undone. I still believe it was his defense of the comments that damaged him much more than the initial comments.

That's not what he said. He said that the 47% were dependent on government and moochers.

Seriously, all you need is a candidate to admit they were wrong in a debate setting and they'll win all the "likable and honesty" points available to win.

Meh, Obama certainly has said some things to gatherings of black people that he wouldn't say publicly.

Politicians will generally say anything to get elected.

Romney's economic policies directly reinforce his 47% comment.

I like Romney a lot less after doing this. It's bullshit. He knows what he said, and he believes it. This guy will truly say anything to anyone to get elected. Just one more example of not standing up for his beliefs. I wasn't real anti-Romney until now, I was kinda meh about the whole election. I hate two faced people like this. I hope he loses 49 states. Someone should have an article on Romney's about faces just this week alone! Really surprised more people don't see through him.

Romney gives snake oil salesmen, used car salesmen, con men and liars a bad name.

When asked if Earl Campbell was in a class of his own, Bum Phillips said,"Don't know, but it sure don't take long to take the role."

Mitt may not be the biggest liar as a presidential nominee.......

Meh, Obama certainly has said some things to gatherings of black people that he wouldn't say publicly.

Politicians will generally say anything to get elected.

Examples?

A very, very good question. I think he waited too late, and ran so far to the right to secure the nomination that he can't recover, but we'll see.

I think he may have waited just a tad too long. I think this is an election where most people made up their minds a while ago, so it doesn't seem to me that there are all that many people left out there to sway. My feeling is Romney needed to start showing what he's shown in the last 72 hours no later than the convention. Now, with the 47% tape out there, there probably aren't enough people left to sway to win the election.

BUT, Romney has a better chance today than he did a week ago.

That spiel in 2007 suggesting racism was slowing aid to New Orleans.

Asbsolutely FALSE!!! If you listened to the entire speech, Obama said specifically it was incompetence not racism.

I'm having a hard time understanding Wrangor's feelings on this...because I really believe that Wrangor is a good, Christian person who is very capable of seeing thru all of this. So why would he support someone like Romney....who clearly doesn't give a shit about the plight of half the people in this country, while he is making $20+ million per year and spending $100 million or so of his money to run for president for the past 6 years? It doesn't make sense to me. If Wrangor was a greedy fucker like some of the posters on this board I would understand....but he doesn't seem to be that kind of person to me. I'm missing something somewhere.

Clearly.

We've been through this - it's impossible to hang the "he doesn't give a shit about others" card around the neck of a man who has given millions to charities across the planet. Your hyperbolic rhetoric is outta line.

An overwhelming amount of donations are required by his church.

his policies that eviscerate food stamps and other programs prove he doesn't have real empathy for those who are in need.

his policies that eviscerate food stamps and other programs prove he doesn't have real empathy for those who are in need.

So a man takes a look at say, Detroit, and thinks to himself 'we can do better than this.. mayhaps there's been some unintentional consequences from well-meaning government programs' - and you cite that thought as evidence that the man doesn't have real empathy? I'd argue the opposite. Mitt clearly believes in charity (your deflection about church requirements notwithstanding) and he clearly believes in giving people the opportunity to reach their potential. Your take doesn't align with reality.

So? Does it matter who he donates to? How do you know he wouldn't donate the exact same amount to non religious causes if he was not as committed to his religion?

So? Does it matter who he donates to? How do you know he wouldn't donate the exact same amount to non religious causes if he was not as committed to his religion?

It's one thing if you are a member of a church that suggests how much you donate. It's quite another that places demands on your participation.

A way you can tell that he wouldn't donate at the levels is that he could do so every year. He makes more than enough money to do this or at least be close. He doesn't.

Certainly it matters. Donating millions to the Mormon Church counts for nothing.

I'll be so glad when the next 32 days are over. I'm sick of hearing that two-faced SOB's name. If there is a God in Heaven, Mitt Romney will get his tail kicked on November 6th. People like him are so totally disgusting. And people who support him and claim to be Christians give Christianity a bad name.

:eek:

Certainly it matters. Donating millions to the Mormon Church counts for nothing.

I'll be so glad when the next 32 days are over. I'm sick of hearing that two-faced SOB's name. If there is a God in Heaven, Mitt Romney will get his tail kicked on November 6th. People like him are so totally disgusting. And people who support him and claim to be Christians give Christianity a bad name.

Haha come on now BKF, really? I think you went a little overboard with that one.

Back