• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Put the White Back in the White House

The demise of the black family is due to the government?

Look at the statistical change from before and after the great society programs. Jarring and unprecedented degradation of the family, statistically. Public subsidy chases out private responsibility. Again.

Look at the statistical change from before and after the great society programs. Jarring and unprecedented degradation of the family, statistically. Public subsidy chases out private responsibility. Again.

That's an impossible argument to prove which is probably why you're making it. Minorities had made significant progress in every metric leading up to the financial crisis and were disproportionately hurt by the recession as it's cheaper and easier for businesses to cut hourly employees than management.

That's an impossible argument to prove which is probably why you're making it. Minorities had made significant progress in every metric leading up to the financial crisis and were disproportionately hurt by the recession as it's cheaper and easier for businesses to cut hourly employees than management.

As Vice President BiteMe would tell you, that's all fine and good until we start talking facts.

Fact: Single Parent Rate in Black Community, 2010: 66%
Fact: Single Parent Rate in Black Community, 1960: 22%

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...arack-obama/statistics-dont-lie-in-this-case/

Get as mad as you want to, but leave me out of it. This is between you and the facts, from this point forward.

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/acrossstates/Rankings.aspx?ind=107

As Vice President BiteMe would tell you, that's all fine and good until we start talking facts.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...arack-obama/statistics-dont-lie-in-this-case/

Get as mad as you want to, but leave me out of it. This is between you and the facts, from this point forward.

Those facts are well and good but won't be relevant for a generation if we're measuring economic progress. If we aren't looking at economic progress then your argument is some nebulous concept of family which is irrelevant and archaic.

You'd think jhmd would keep his questionable arguments out of thread about blatant racism in the Republican party, yet he doubles down.

this thread makes my head hurt.

Three things. Work, graduate from high school, and get married before you have children. Those three things…

Have you actually read that study? Is that a good interpretation?

Three things. Work, graduate from high school, and get married before you have children. Those three things…

Have you actually read that study? Is that a good interpretation?

There was a survey in jhmd's post? I thought it was just a completely out of context statistic that he used for his agenda.

"In 2006, 91.4 percent of single parents of black children were mothers. That figure hasn't changed over the years. In 1960, it was a shade lower at 91 percent."

Did you even read your own link?

That just means few black kids had single parent fathers.

That just means few black kids had single parent fathers.

"About 28 percent of children of all races lived with a single parent in 2006. In 1960, only about 9 percent of American children lived with a single parent."

It has increased 3 fold regardless of race.

Right. Just saying that you misinterpreted the previous stat.

Ph is right. Movements within the subset aren't going to change (thanks, biology!), it's a tripling of the subset within the whole that is alarming.

To answer your question, yes, I did read my own link. In addition to reading it, I understood it.

My point is to look at the results of these policies. If people would just do that (instead of focusing on the placebo of "Well, at least I'm not racist"...which while a start is hardly a finish), something might actually get done.

Last edited:
There was a survey in jhmd's post? I thought it was just a completely out of context statistic that he used for his agenda.

In what context is a tripling of single-parent households within a community a good thing? There is nothing out of context about the empirical data. If---as a matter of statistical fact---your chances of avoiding poverty are 77% if you a) work, b) graduate high school and c) get married before you have children, then how are direct statistics about the third prong on that test out of context?

It is possible that I've got a point that you guys don't have to shout down or be condescending towards, isn't it?

Those facts are well and good but won't be relevant for a generation if we're measuring economic progress. If we aren't looking at economic progress then your argument is some nebulous concept of family which is irrelevant and archaic.

Mularkey. Look at what your chances are of obtaining economic progress if you're either the parent or child of a single parent household. You're going to argue that a single mother stands on equal economic footing with a two parent household? No you're not.

Last edited:

False. See the subject metric.

Whoa ease up. Obama is also 1/2 white, so he's not our first black president.

Can we just all agree that the shirt that guy has is extremely racist and he's a piece of shit that needs to be condemned?

There is racism on both sides of this race.

Can we just all agree that the shirt that guy has is extremely racist and he's a piece of shit that needs to be condemned?

There is racism on both sides of this race.

I assumed we've all been there for some time; I'm trying to turn the debate from the obvious to a more productive place: is what the people who aren't extremely racist POS's doing working, and if not, what else should we be doing?

There are a myriad of factors that has contributed to the increase in single parent homes in the black community. The assertion that it is soley due to the Great Society programs is pretty simplistic.

Back